TJ PJ Mistake

rpgopherfan

Reaction score
A very weird happening here. 1st off Tyler Johnson drops the pass, then gets drilled, then PJ storms the field (I think he needs to realize that his enthusiasm is a good thing, but needs to manage a game like a stone cold football slayer.) I feel strongly that if PJ stays off the field the call is NOT unsportsmanlike conduct on Iowa, but instead unnecessary roughness which comes with a automatic 1st down. Even though TJ drops the ball it still should have been a 1st down.

Pj just talked about that on post game. The call in him was bull****. The refs were bull****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was unsportsmanlike conduct because the hit came after the ball was blown dead. No matter what that was Iowa's ball.

He should have more self-control and shouldn't have went running out there.. but it still would have been Iowa ball. Both penalties were after the play.

He should have more self-control and shouldn't have went running out there.. but it still would have been Iowa ball. Both penalties were after the play.

I agree. The bigger issue is the poor clock management and continued wasting of timeouts because we take so damn long to run a play. We short ourselves 10-12 plays per game because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The bigger issue is the poor clock management and continued wasting of timeouts because we take so damn long to run a play. We short ourselves 10-12 plays per game because of this.

Poor clock management woulda/coulda/shoulda cost them one of those three OOC games to start the season. Lucked out then, couldn't expect to be as lucky against a good team on the road. Still have plenty of learning to do. Still love this team tho

A very weird happening here. 1st off Tyler Johnson drops the pass, then gets drilled, then PJ storms the field (I think he needs to realize that his enthusiasm is a good thing, but needs to manage a game like a stone cold football slayer.) I feel strongly that if PJ stays off the field the call is NOT unsportsmanlike conduct on Iowa, but instead unnecessary roughness which comes with a automatic 1st down. Even though TJ drops the ball it still should have been a 1st down.

Should have been unnecessary roughness regardless.
Now we know why Iowa was favored. Fixed.

No matter the call...you can’t run all the way to the middle of the field down to the 5 yard line to argue with officials. Then you can’t compound it by defending your action to do so. It’s a bad example of self control to your team. It’s indefensible. It’s stupid. It’s fundamental. It’s all we are talking about. Dumb on all levels.

I would have to listen to the replay, but it was such a bang bang call that I don't think the defender could possibly have heard the whistle, but he should have known the ball was on the ground. I can't believe that the original flag was not thrown for unnecessary roughness but then was changed when PJ came on the field, and the entire officiating crew had to gather together to discuss how they would handle PJ being where he was.

Please explain the difference on timeouts?

We had the ball at the end of the game with just under two minutes.
We didn't convert and that's why we didn't win. It wasn't that the clock ran out.

Having a timeout would have been nice, or an extra 30 seconds, sure, but in the end, Morgan got hurt and Kramer didn't get a first down.

This timeout thing is an issue, but it's not why we lost.
Not in the top 5 reasons why we lost.

I would have to listen to the replay, but it was such a bang bang call that I don't think the defender could possibly have heard the whistle, but he should have known the ball was on the ground. I can't believe that the original flag was not thrown for unnecessary roughness but then was changed when PJ came on the field, and the entire officiating crew had to gather together to discuss how they would handle PJ being where he was.

The drop occurred. Ball hit the ground. Two steps. TJ gets hit.
That's after the play.

Then PJ comes onto the field and gets a second penalty.

Was going to be Iowa's ball regardless.

It was unsportsmanlike conduct because the hit came after the ball was blown dead. No matter what that was Iowa's ball.

Yeah, just 15-yards. No biggy in a game you are down. Hopefully PJ grows from that failure.

We didn't convert and that's why we didn't win. It wasn't that the clock ran out.

Having a timeout would have been nice, or an extra 30 seconds, sure, but in the end, Morgan got hurt and Kramer didn't get a first down.

The timeouts were more critical in the first half. Cost us a chance at two more attempts for a TD before half. Timeout management in the second half would have been more critical if we had been able to make some plays and get down the field on the last drive.

That was a bad late hit and personal foul, but I think since the ref blew the whistle they were always going to call that a dead ball foul and turnover on downs. It's to bad Lantz the kicker is hurt we could have used him more.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Pj just talked about that on post game. The call in him was bull****. The refs were bull****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

His explanation was equally bs.
He went out there because he wanted to get him off the field and not be in on the next play? It was 4th down. Unless TJ was going in at safety he was going to be off the field regardless of if he was hurt or not.

Two guys who are tremendous assets to the program doing that one thing about them that drives you crazy on the same play. Now we know how Mormon husbands* feel.

* Not officially LDS approved and hasn't been for a very long time.

Losing four points by not going for a TD at the end of the first half was the difference.

In the moment I was upset with PJ. Now I understand and think he was jobbed.

Loss of 2 timeouts because of coaching/communication issues absolutely had a major impact on game. We get the ball back with ~3:20 rather than ~1:50. Can use your whole offense- no need to use longer developing plays- can even run the ball a few times in key situations. Poor clock mgmt on last TD drive also contributed.

Every team in any sport has that game where there's a chain of things that happen that result in defeat. Take
any one of those 15 factors out of the equation and that chain is broken, but this was just one of those games.
It happens.

That particular rule doesn't make much sense to me. So if a QB throws and incomplete pass on 4th down, you can knock him into next week well after the play is over and your team still gets the ball?

His explanation was equally bs.
He went out there because he wanted to get him off the field and not be in on the next play? It was 4th down. Unless TJ was going in at safety he was going to be off the field regardless of if he was hurt or not.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but sometimes PJ says things that aren't entirely true.

That particular rule doesn't make much sense to me. So if a QB throws and incomplete pass on 4th down, you can knock him into next week well after the play is over and your team still gets the ball?

Maybe it is a college rule, I don’t know but in the NFL today’s scenario and your hypothetical scenario do result in first downs for the offense.

The time taken to run off a play is part of Fleck’s strategy to control the clock. The question is why with time running out and Minnesota trailing does this continue? The clock management at the end of this game was not just poor, it was amateurish and inexcusable.

The play isn't over until the ball travels thru the air and lands down field or out of bounds. Any illegal contact with a QB while that happens is a live ball. If the ball hits the ground incomplete then someone decks the qb after that it's a dead ball foul. TJ dropped the ball took a step, play was over then got hit, dead ball foul. We had no more downs being that was 4th down. Penalty is marched off against offending team. Dead ball fouls are not automatic first downs like pass interference.

Does anyone know the rule on when a coach can enter the field of play when a player appears to be hurt? Do you have to wait until the ref officially takes an injury timeout?

Losing four points by not going for a TD at the end of the first half was the difference.

So if we would have gone for the TD we would have made it from four yards out and the rest of the game would have been played exactly the same by both teams in the second half. Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom