Outcoached

NotAFanOfBecky

Reaction score
Tough game. Really hated the soft D in the first half. PJ running on the field on 4th down. Wayyyyy too much time on the TD ply and burning a timeout. Lots of mistakes on the coaching staff today. Tough game but still had a chance to win! Let’s get it together the next two weeks and win the West!

Failure = growth and the coaching staff has a lot of room for growth.

Lots of mistakes on both sides of the ball, coaches need to figure this **** out.

Morgan almost bailed this one out by himself.

Tough game. Really hated the soft D in the first half. PJ running on the field on 4th down. Wayyyyy too much time on the TD ply and burning a timeout. Lots of mistakes on the coaching staff today. Tough game but still had a chance to win! Let’s get it together the next two weeks and win the West!

50 yard field goal questionable, clock management questionable, play calling questionable, I would have taken the points on 4th and 4, but if TJ makes the catch who knows what happens.

That's what good teams and good coaches do to you though, that's why we haven't won in Iowa in 20 years. National title chances are over, but let's smell the roses and beat northwestern and Wisconsin and all is forgiven.

Rossi's defensive gameplan was atrocious.
As were the all-white uniforms. Wave the white flag to start the game?

Why did it take until half to make defensive adjustments? They played great in the second half, by attacking Stanley instead of sitting back. But they didn’t do a thing until half. Fleck needs to change his best after today. 50 yard field goal by a kicker that can’t hit an extra point? Per usual, atrocious timeout management. I don’t mind the aggressive mindset, but they just had too many mistakes

I hate to be superstitious but I hated those uniforms. They were atrocious looking. Why the hell didn't we wear what we wore against Wis last year?? I kept on thinking I was watching Mississippi State vs the Pittsburgh Steelers tonight.

I hate to be superstitious but I hated those uniforms. They were atrocious looking. Why the hell didn't we wear what we wore against Wis last year?? I kept on thinking I was watching Mississippi State vs the Pittsburgh Steelers tonight.

I hated the white "M" also. But you hit it perfectly, Mississippi State colors.

Yes. Why in the hell those uniforms?

Yup. Uniforms sucked. My mom could have sewn better uniforms.
That being said, my mom would have officiated a better game as well. Eff these mfers.

i think our coaches got out coached to start the game no blitzes and played soft coverage etc..
but I think we did make adjustments at half and won the 2nd half

but its tough to give them a 20-3 lead and expect to come back and we almost did

Yes we were out coached. Hopefully they learn from it and don’t let it happen against the Badgers.

Hated the white uniforms, will always hate them - a bad omen, plus no identity. The soft coverage in the first half was Mason deja vu.

Rossi might have got outcoached to start the game and I hated some of the decisions to run the ball by Ciarrocca. A lot of this "outcoaching" is due to the Gophers not having a placekicker. So many of the decisions today were based on either poor kicks or not wanting to put the poor kicker on the field. Throw in the terrible punt from Herbers (that forced a 15 yard penalty on his coverage guy on top of it) and just special teams alone probably turns this in to a somewhat comfortable Minnesota win. I didn't like the decision to go for it, but if TJ catches an open pass the Gophers score on that drive. If the Gophers don't get the ONE holding play of the entire game called on their TE downfield on a run that would put them in the redzone, the Gophers score on that drive. I didn't like the game management, but one of these things goes there way and they win...were they outcoached? Fleck definitely could have done a better job today with the timeouts and decision making, but I think special teams was by far the biggest factor in giving this one away.

You can call out the one-time fails that happened like dropped balls, PJs penalty, time management, missed extra point/FG, officiating etc. - but none of that matters if the defensive strategy in the first half wasn't f**ked. That was the big fail. I'm not sure if there are still injuries in the defensive front 7 or not, but a player or two looked totally overmatched at times too.

You can call out the one-time fails that happened like dropped balls, PJs penalty, time management, missed extra point/FG, officiating etc. - but none of that matters if the defensive strategy in the first half wasn't f**ked. That was the big fail. I'm not sure if there are still injuries in the defensive front 7 or not, but a player or two looked totally overmatched at times too.

Exactly. There were a ton of things that went wrong today, and yet the Gophers probably would have come away with a comfortable win if they had just come out (1) defensively with aggression instead of passivity at any point during Iowa's second or third drives, by which point it was beyond clear that passive defense was failing; and (2) offensively without the dogged determination to try to force the running game. The only way Iowa (or Penn State or any team before them) could stop our passing game was by sack or, this game, but tipping the ball at the line. Other than that, we moved at will in the passing game. Why waste so damn many downs and opportunities to try to force a running game that just wasn't there? Nearly blew the PSU game (and the first three OOC games) by doing the same thing; that should have been the lesson teacher four times already. This time that stubbornness finally cost the team the W.

Last edited:

Obviously this was the week the team spent too much time designing uniforms and it finally came back to bite us.

I feel like this continues to be an issue. Is the process of calling the plays or the calls at the line too difficult? Can they simplify it? Yikes

I hate our D in the first half but Nate Stanley was really on. When you rewatch the game, you won't see the drops and missed open receivers that we saw against Penn State. When a team with a decent QB is on, they are really hard to stop. That said, the defense was great in the second half.

If you would have told me on Friday night that if we score 24 points we'd win, I would have felt pretty good. We lost because we left points on the board.

Haha the uniform talk... must feel good if that's the most pressing issue on people's minds

Had no problem with the uniforms, thought the helmets looked pretty nice though.

Too many boneheaded plays from our coaches and our players. Tanner Morgan continues to impress... 370 yds and only one TD is brutal. Need to finish in the redzone

Why the onside kick attempt with nearly 4 mins left? Seemed like a panic call. Kick deep, We get a stop and ball on 40 vs 20 at the end.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Why the onside kick attempt with nearly 4 mins left? Seemed like a panic call. Kick deep, We get a stop and ball on 40 vs 20 at the end.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was a terrible decision.

i think our coaches got out coached to start the game no blitzes and played soft coverage etc..
but I think we did make adjustments at half and won the 2nd half

but its tough to give them a 20-3 lead and expect to come back and we almost did

Yes it's like our staff watched the game film from last Saturday, and decided to follow Penn States lead...:mad:

Anyway, on a serious note the staff was out coached, but I do have faith that the staff and team will respond. Going to sleep this off.

Go Gophers!!!

Top Bottom