[POST GAME THREAD] Iowa defeats Minnesota 23-19

I just hate that we lost and I still feel like we are the better team. I’d rather got my ass kicked than give the game away. To have a shot at the end given all the crap that went on was a miracle.

I have always HATED our offense and the fact that we run the play clock down to the last second all the time, and it cost us time at the end before the last touchdown. And it is the EXACT REASON why we have to routinely burn time outs early in halves. This needs to be corrected.

Please focus on Northwestern everyone and stop talking about Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked like Clark was about to go in because he’s the “true backup” but they didn’t want to burn a game for a third and 30 with a minute left.

They can play in 4 games, he's played in one. Does the B1G Championship game count?

Looked like Clark was about to go in because he’s the “true backup” but they didn’t want to burn a game for a third and 30 with a minute left.

I agree.
Clark might be our starter next week and the week after and one more week if concussion is bad.

Too many crucial mistakes.

The game hurts bad. But our season outlook isn’t much different. The stakes of the Wisconsin games will be just a bit higher. Rose Bowl is still there.

If you knew we were going to hold Iowa to 23 points do you think we would have won?

Our offense did a lot of great things but we didn't get the ball in the end zone at all in the first half and that just put so much pressure on needing a perfect second half.

Hated to lose this game but I was mentally prepared for it. TJ played great but becomes the goat for the one dropped pass.

Win or lose next week, We can still win the BIG West in a couple of weeks.

I am Gopher proud right now and I don't give a crap about all of you naysayers. Let's finish off this season right and win our next two games.

I agree.
Clark might be our starter next week and the week after and one more week if concussion is bad.

Was it a concussion? I thought it was a lower body injury. Either way I don’t think Morgan is hurt too bad.

Was it a concussion? I thought it was a lower body injury. Either way I don’t think Morgan is hurt too bad.

I hope you’re right but the Minnesota sports in me says he will be out a long, long time.

I worry about Morgan and how he won’t be the same the rest of the season with a concussion or will be out until the bowl game.

I think he'll be normal when back.

I just hate that we lost and I still feel like we are the better team. I’d rather got my ass kicked than give the game away. To have a shot at the end given all the crap that went on was a miracle.

I have always HATED our offense and the fact that we run the play clock down to the last second all the time, and it cost us time at the end before the last touchdown. And it is the EXACT REASON why we have to routinely burn time outs early in halves. This needs to be corrected.

Please focus on Northwestern everyone and stop talking about Wisconsin.

You feel like we're the better team because Minnesota outplayed them, and it wasn't particularly close.
If the kicking game had been competent, they probably would have won this game by two scores.

People get hurt in football. One bad result doesn't change the outlook on an entire season.

I hope you’re right but the Minnesota sports in me says he will be out a long, long time.

If necessary, Kramer is a damn good QB, and I wouldn't expect a dramatic drop-off if he has to play.
That said, I hope Morgan is okay.

I think Morgan will be back, but with not knowing, don't burn a Clark game with 3rd and 20 under two minutes.

Wonder if there is a timeline on Zack coming back as well.
He would become a nice option as well if he can play soon.

They played their worst game possible and still almost won at Kinnick. I'm not worried. Plus, everything
they can play for is still in front of them.

Yep. I'm disappointed but really it hasn't changed the narrative of winning the division and playing in the title game. Lots of lessons to be learned from this game and I'm sure PJ will use them for the team--and the coaching staff. Losing like we did makes me even more confident we're going to win the next two.

I think the staff pretended the poor time management wasn't an issue because we were winning and we never cleaned it up. Hopefully losing will force them to address. A couple of big games ahead of us, let's go.

Offense: MN 30 rush attempts for 60 yards. That includes -23 yards by Morgan because the blocking was atrocious. Injury to TM2 at end of game. Untimely drops.

Special teams:
Missed 50 yard field goal — bad decision. Can’t kick. Missed XP.
Field position an issue. Short punt, the missed 50 yard FG.
The foul on the punt was really unfortunate and may have been a phantom call

Defense:
They ran at Sori-Marin on numerous occasions untilizing misdirection because it’s glaringly obvious he’s easily fooled and will run himself out of position.
Poor tackling including a pathetic attempt by Howden on the TD run.
Charmin soft defense to open the game allowed Stanley to get in his zone which is deadly.

Still not sure what the foul on PJF was all about. Wasn’t TJ down for the count for a couple beats? The officiating from the historically bad spot in the first quarter to ticky tack hold on Kieft to non calls on Iowa to the out of bounds clock call was atrocious. Can’t blame them but in a tight game those types of things make a difference. I hope they enjoy whatever winnings they made.

Iowa is a good team and kudos to their staff and players. They played their style of ball (with a little help).

Crap, win last 2 and all is forgiven

Too many mistakes, 1 TD in 4 rz trips was difference

PJ ran onto the field too soon when TJ got knocked down.
Too fast.

That's the penalty.

Gophers played like crap for nearly an entire half had about a dozen or more critical mistakes throughout the game, and somehow we were still in it to win it in the end...

I did not see us beating both WI and IA, and losing this game actually makes me more confident in the WI game.

Lets get back on track next week, and play for the Big 10 West Title Thanksgiving weekend at home!

+1. Great post.

I'm more upset about Tanner's injury - does anyone know? Looked like it might be left shoulder. I never expected the Gophers to win at Iowa this year, especially after the big emotional win at home last week. Iowa has our number at Kinnick - the stars aligned perfectly for a Hawk win at home before sellout crowd. However, if Tanner can't play, we could lose three in a row.

Credit Iowa. They came out ready to play and their redzone defense was stellar. Not sure if it’s been said, but Morgan was obviously concussed after the first down play.

Concussed? Great. First, best for a recovery to him. Second, any chance he doesn't take the field next week or vs. UW?

Losing sucks but we've had many, many...no...many...worse losses than this.

Actually more motivated to travel to Evanston next weekend than before. Opportunity to see us go 10-1 in person. Will depend on the start time.

I will drink now but probably not any more or less than if we'd won.

The soft defense hurt them in the first half and set the tone early. They allowed 3 Iowa Touchdowns on the first three Iowa possessions. Then you are down 20-3 and that is big deficit to come back from, especially on the road at Kinnick. Can’t be settling for FG’s.

Dropped passes by both Bateman and Johnson. Missed tackles in the first half, missed kicks, poor clock management.

Offside penalty on defense on the first drive, fair catch interference, holding. Several uncharacteristic penalties today.

Too many 2nd and 3rd and long situations for the offense. Didn’t do a good job getting positive yards on first and second downs.

The silver lining is that they still had a shot to win the game in the final 2:00 for as poorly as they played. It is never easy to win at Iowa.

Finish the conference schedule 2-0 and you still win the west and end up 11-1 and playing in Indianapolis.

You feel like we're the better team because Minnesota outplayed them, and it wasn't particularly close.
If the kicking game had been competent, they probably would have won this game by two scores.

People get hurt in football. One bad result doesn't change the outlook on an entire season.

Better team? Iowa won and outplayed, out coached us. Yards are where they are because we were playing from behind.

Iowa’s defense is really good. Holding us to the point total they did is not surprising. The Gophers came back and beat inferior teams. They didn’t with a comparable team. Nothing to be embarrassed about, other than the stupid PJ penalty. They didn’t lose to a bad team. They play an even better team than Iowa in two weeks, and I don’t understand why people feel “good” about that. Wisconsin likely better than PSU - they just choked a game away at IL. Will be a good game.

I don't know what the guy above me is talking about because this is by far my the most painful loss in my 30 years as a fan. To lose an undefeated season to ****ing Iowa really ****ing sucks.

It felt like the only way our passing game could be stopped was by Ciarrocca calling a running play. The special teams probably were a1 0-14 point difference in a 4 point game and that's before you get to any of the BS calls.

I am worried going forward, that was the worst we've seen the team play since South Dakota. We get the team that plalyed Georgia Southern and we're 10-0. The defense was atrocious to start the game due to either coming out flat or having a terrible game plan. That start was enough to screw us with how inept the special teams were for the entire game.

I absolutely hated three decisions in this game: 1. The decision to kick the FG before half with the ball on the 2 and 4 seconds left: you can argue this worked out, but on the road down 20-3 and with a good offense I think you have to try to punch it in there to dramatically increase your odds of the comeback. 2. The decision to go for it on 4th and 4 down 7 in the 3rd quarter: Why would you kick in the first half and then not kick here? Makes zero sense as you are going to need points regardless. This FG would have been from straight on, but Walker might have ****ing missed anyways. 3. The decision to go for the onside kick. This one was brutal to me and the most unforgiveable. Iowa is so f'ing conservative, put them at the 25 and make them punt back to you.

IIRC the score was 13-20 on the goal line 4th down TJ drop play. I absolutely trust the guys to convert that and we’ve seen very inconsistent xp and field goal kicking this year. Near misses, doinks, etc. No sure thing even from 25 yards out, in NCAA. It’s arguable but maybe didn’t have total trust in the defense today.

Top Bottom