[POST GAME THREAD] Iowa defeats Minnesota 23-19

#1 reason to not attempt an onside kick--
The Gophers have not been able to execute an onside kick since the 1904 team that beat Grinnell. (or something like that)

Yes, I know there is a low success rate - but in my book, the best onside kicks go one of two ways - either kick it as hard as possible and try to get a bounce off one of the other teams' up-front players.......or try to kick it past the front wave - about 20-25 yards down field, and get to it in 'no-man's land' before the other team.

Instead, the Gophers do a soft kick that travels about 12 yards - the easiest kind for the receiving team to field.

if you can't execute it any better than that - THEN DON'T TRY THE BLEEPIN' ONSIDE KICK. Arrrgh.

I am worried going forward, that was the worst we've seen the team play since South Dakota. We get the team that plalyed Georgia Southern and we're 10-0.

Are you honestly saying a 6-4 Georgia Southern team is better than Iowa? We got the flip side of the Penn State game and our wins over Fresno State, Georgia Southern and a completely depleted Purdue team. Eventually we were gonna get caught.

Bottomline: a 4 point loss on Iowa's field is not horrible. The Hawkeyes are tough at home.

I see a silver lining: despite numerous mistakes we almost beat a fine football team on their formidable home field.

On the bright side...I think this makes Game Day in Minneapolis way more likely.

Doubt it now that they are going to Ohio state-Penn state next week, probably won’t go Big Ten back to back weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hats off to Iowa coaches and players for executing a good game plan. I hate saying that I’m bummed about the loss. They won the los battle and Stanley was locked in and able to make easy throws to his open receivers. Was the Gopher secondary playing a soft zone in the first half?

On offense I think the Gophers had 7 drops. Bateman maybe had four including one on the last drive on a nice pass. Johnson had an amazing game but that 4th down drop hurt a lot.

This team isn’t perfect but they have a lot of heart and showed it yesterday.

The Gophers have not been able to execute an onside kick since the 1904 team that beat Grinnell. (or something like that)

Yes, I know there is a low success rate - but in my book, the best onside kicks go one of two ways - either kick it as hard as possible and try to get a bounce off one of the other teams' up-front players.......or try to kick it past the front wave - about 20-25 yards down field, and get to it in 'no-man's land' before the other team.

Instead, the Gophers do a soft kick that travels about 12 yards - the easiest kind for the receiving team to field.

if you can't execute it any better than that - THEN DON'T TRY THE BLEEPIN' ONSIDE KICK. Arrrgh.

2011 we had the most beautiful onside kick I’ve ever seen, and it just so happened to be against Iowa at TCF to complete the comeback and beat them. We had Marquis Grey, Duane Bennett, Donnell Kirkwood, De’Jon McKnight, etc. awesome game.

Wanted to chime in, but Wisconsin only beat us by 2 at home last week and you scored 19 at Iowa with the o-line struggling. You probably already know Iowa and Wisconsin are very similar. IMHO the recipe is definitely there, especially if your offensive line plays its normal game.

2011 we had the most beautiful onside kick I’ve ever seen, and it just so happened to be against Iowa at TCF to complete the comeback and beat them. We had Marquis Grey, Duane Bennett, Donnell Kirkwood, De’Jon McKnight, etc. awesome game.

Was that the inside kick that was executed so well they changed the rules to prevent us from doing it again? I loved that play, hated the rule change.

I haven't watched Wisconsin play much this year but I think they are more one dimensional than Iowa right? If we can shut down the run (I know tall task) and make them throw we should be in ok shape right? Iowa's passing game has to be a little better right?

Was that the inside kick that was executed so well they changed the rules to prevent us from doing it again? I loved that play, hated the rule change.

I don’t remember if they changed a rule over it. But I still think to this day it was the best onside I’ve ever seen. Just perfect placement, perfect end over end and hop. Very exciting play in person.

I'm with you. The last few years has been a clinic on how not to do an on-side kick.

It was. You can't do what they did anymore.

BTW, I had no problem with an onside kick. With 2 timeouts left, yes. I hated the wasted time out on the 1 yard line more than anything. Take the chance with the kick. We still got the ball on the 20 to start the last drive. You're talking 15-20 yards of field position at the very most, perhaps even less as a punt with the wind & roll may have put it around the 20 anyway.

It was. You can't do what they did anymore.

BTW, I had no problem with an onside kick. With 2 timeouts left, yes. I hated the wasted time out on the 1 yard line more than anything. Take the chance with the kick. We still got the ball on the 20 to start the last drive. You're talking 15-20 yards of field position at the very most, perhaps even less as a punt with the wind & roll may have put it around the 20 anyway.

Agree. Field position wasn't our problem. Getting sacked was.

This is what I would do if you're ever in a situation where you're unsure of doing an onside or not. If you miss, then they other team still doesn't get good field position. If you hit a guy, there's a solid chance of recovery. I feel like an opponent did that this year. I would even try to do this periodically throughout the game. The returner generally has a hard time picking it up cleanly.

The success rate of a traditional onside is so small (I believe it's now less than 15%). I didn't think it was needed there.

If you bounce it off another player you still can't touch it until it hits the ground. Not sure that is a much better option.

Someone pull off an onside kick where the player recovered it by catching it on the fly running up the sideline. It almost looked like a pass play.

Someone pull off an onside kick where the player recovered it by catching it on the fly running up the sideline. It almost looked like a pass play.

OSU just did it to Maryland last week.

I agree the traditional high bouncing onside kick is almost dead, and that things like hard squibs and pop ups like this are the way to go. Iowa lined up in a very traditional set for the onside, and I think MN would've had a better chance popping it up somewhere...even right down the middle.

Let’s see if the embed works

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">IOWA 23, MINNESOTA 19<br><br>* The red zone, it is fickle. Minn is top-25 in pts per scoring opp on both O and D but lost this game because of that category.<br>* Iowa got JUST enough offense early on.<br>* Throw the ball away, Tanner. <a href="https://t.co/zkrQKR3S4P">pic.twitter.com/zkrQKR3S4P</a></p>&mdash; Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) <a href="">November 18, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom