Bad timeouts

And yet some how the Gophers were 9-0 going into this game.

If only they had managed timeouts better imagine what the record would’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the team that wins doesn't have anything too work on? That is some astute football analysis.

So the team that wins doesn't have anything too work on? That is some astute football analysis.

Astute?

Guess I’ll have to check Wikipedia for the meaning of that word [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you have seen 50 games and not have figured out that the head coach is calling time out ONLY because there is no played called and the clock has reached "1" second left. What do you want him to do, take the five yard penalty?!? How will that help? The problem is that the offensive play caller is not getting the play call to the QB in time and yes that is a big problem that needs to be fixed.

I already stated that it wasn't the timeout itself but the situtation that led up to some of the timeouts that was frustrating. They looked unprepared multiple times yesterday. Reminiscent of the end of Claeys game vs Michigan.

And one play I actually think they should have taken the delay of game instead of burning a timeout. The one in the first quarter. Would have been better to take the penalty and then try to pin them deep with a punt instead of attempting that 50 yard field goal.

I defend PJ's use of timeouts. He uses them that aren't exactly the way everyone else uses them, but he uses them during crucial times, to make sure the team is on the right page during these crucial moments. For the timeout that's the biggest in question, which is the first and goal on the 1 with 3 minutes left, I'd much rather have him take a timeout there, as opposed to taking a 5 yard penalty...

the issue with that play however, is that his team had no idea what they were doing. They should know that they are running a dive play, and if they were trying to get creative with a pass or something, know that the audible goes to a dive play. That's a coaching mistake, not having the team prepared for that scenario...but I don't view it as a bad timeout, it was a needed timeout to not take the penalty. Again, the issue was not being aware of the situation...****, they could've even spiked the ball there. It wouldn't have been great, but it would've been better than how unprepared they were for that situation.

+1 Saved me writing the same thing.

I kind of agree with Skauma's post in that the timeout before the last touchdown wasn't bad, but what lead up to it was. There's no way they shouldn't be prepared to run a play there and just the clock getting down to 5 or less in that situation is unacceptable. That's got to be a hurry up play.

That said, timeouts in general have been a problem and one area where PJ can improve. There have been multiple occassions over the past two years where PJ has called a timeout on a 4th and short situation after a 3rd and manageable/short failute to get a first down...and then decided to punt. That's absolutely brutal. The one this year before the two point conversion ( I think Ga Southern game?) was also really bad when the opponent was trying to take the game from a 4 to a 6 point game and we were only going to have one final possession with the ball. PJ seems to be cutting edge on a lot of things from practice strategies to rest and nutrition and even mental coaching, so it's surprising to me that he's not there with the game management stuff. In genearl this is a really well coached team and well run program, but criticism in this area is certainly fair.

Top Bottom