Bad timeouts

Should have just spiked it. 3 downs is plenty. TO was too important to waste. Should be plenty of time to get a play call in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have just spiked it. 3 downs is plenty. TO was too important to waste. Should be plenty of time to get a play call in.

Nah, in my book, Morgan knows what he is doing and needs to take full command in this moment. Clearly there were communication problems with the sideline. Just audible a simple run play here, and either score a touchdown, or regroup with a new play clock.

1:50 with no timeouts is still a lot of time in the college game where the clock stops on first downs.

I don’t get why we still do the sideline check when the clock is important. We’re not always gonna get the perfect play, we just have to go.

+1

It’s a check with me offense. Morgan has to look to look to the sideline. If they don’t get the play called in time, it’s on the coaches. If he calls his own play, he’s going against what he’s been told to do. That’s not going to happen.

The lack of a hurry up offense is perplexing, considering so many games come down to the wire. The coaching staff needs to change their best.

It’s a check with me offense. Morgan has to look to look to the sideline. If they don’t get the play called in time, it’s in the coaches. If he calls his own play, he’s going against what he’s been told to do. That’s not going to happen.

The lack of a hurry up offense is perplexing, considering so many games come down to the wire. The coaching staff needs to change their best.

Burning 30 seconds while looking to the sideline during the two minute drill is part of our culture.

We didn't have a kicker, what the hell are you talking about, 'should have taken 3'?

The defensive scheme got fixed at the half.

Fleck has taken those timeouts all year, and they have won us about 4 games.
W/o them we wouldn't have been in this game. They led to a key conversion and a touchdown.

These bandwagon fans are off their rockers.

Settle down. Good teams also talk about things that went wrong too.

One thing that the NCAA should change is to allow a headset in a QB helmet. I think this would help with play calling and get rid of a lot of the goofy posters and hand signals we see in the college game.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I defend PJ's use of timeouts. He uses them that aren't exactly the way everyone else uses them, but he uses them during crucial times, to make sure the team is on the right page during these crucial moments. For the timeout that's the biggest in question, which is the first and goal on the 1 with 3 minutes left, I'd much rather have him take a timeout there, as opposed to taking a 5 yard penalty...

the issue with that play however, is that his team had no idea what they were doing. They should know that they are running a dive play, and if they were trying to get creative with a pass or something, know that the audible goes to a dive play. That's a coaching mistake, not having the team prepared for that scenario...but I don't view it as a bad timeout, it was a needed timeout to not take the penalty. Again, the issue was not being aware of the situation...****, they could've even spiked the ball there. It wouldn't have been great, but it would've been better than how unprepared they were for that situation.

The bad timeouts have to stop. This has been an issue dating back to last year.

And yet some how the Gophers were 9-0 going into this game.

If only they had managed timeouts better imagine what the record would’ve been.

Last edited:

I defend PJ's use of timeouts. He uses them that aren't exactly the way everyone else uses them, but he uses them during crucial times, to make sure the team is on the right page during these crucial moments. For the timeout that's the biggest in question, which is the first and goal on the 1 with 3 minutes left, I'd much rather have him take a timeout there, as opposed to taking a 5 yard penalty...

the issue with that play however, is that his team had no idea what they were doing. They should know that they are running a dive play, and if they were trying to get creative with a pass or something, know that the audible goes to a dive play. That's a coaching mistake, not having the team prepared for that scenario...but I don't view it as a bad timeout, it was a needed timeout to not take the penalty. Again, the issue was not being aware of the situation...****, they could've even spiked the ball there. It wouldn't have been great, but it would've been better than how unprepared they were for that situation.

Yeah. It's not as much that using timeouts persay is bad.. but it seems like the reason we burn them it's because the team is at the line of scrimmage looking lost and unprepared for what to do. That's what's most frustrating. And then Fleck has to burn a timeout to salvage the play.

I don't have a problem with 2nd half timeouts when trailing but what I do have a problem with is when a coach doesn't adjust their game plan to compensate. If you are trailing, then you need to have the mentality that each timeout you use will shorten the game by 1 minute.

When Iowa scored with 713 left to go up 9, there was essentially 613 left for us to get 2 scores. Need more urgency. When all is said and done, we had nearly 2 minutes to get that last TD. Just didn't happen.

Yeah. It's not as much that using timeouts persay is bad.. but it seems like the reason we burn them it's because the team is at the line of scrimmage looking lost and unprepared for what to do. That's what's most frustrating. And then Fleck has to burn a timeout to salvage the play.

That happened one time today on the goal line when Morgan pretty obviously missed the play call.
That's the exception. Not the rule.
He typically uses them after reading coverage which I absolutely love.

Not if we are going to let 30 seconds run off after every play.

Ya, this is the most unexplainable aspect of the coaching discussion. We can argue til next summer about how to use timeouts..we all have our ideas. But no hurry up offense is pretty sad. Not only mid 4th quarter but we did the same thing when we needed to go 80 yards with no timeouts. That’s pretty close to inexcusable.

That happened one time today on the goal line when Morgan pretty obviously missed the play call.
That's the exception. Not the rule.
He typically uses them after reading coverage which I absolutely love.

The timeout with 4:08 left in the first half seemed pretty bone headed too.
Green got stuffed on 3rd and 1 at 4:40.
Then they just sat around for 30 seconds and didn't even line up for 4th down before calling at timeout at 4:08. You can't excuse that as 'reading coverage'.
That was a pure waste of 30 seconds + a timeout which would have came in handy on the last drive of the half.

Video of the sequence:
https://youtu.be/pe6TR7KqwQ8?t=2970

The timeout with 4:08 left in the first half seemed pretty bone headed too.
Green got stuffed on 3rd and 1 at 4:40.
Then they just sat around for 30 seconds and didn't even line up for 4th down before calling at timeout at 4:08. You can't excuse that as 'reading coverage'.
That was a pure waste of 30 seconds + a timeout which would have came in handy on the last drive of the half.

Video of the sequence:
https://youtu.be/pe6TR7KqwQ8?t=2970

I don't have a problem with that one. Take a minute to check the chart, talk through the kick or go decision, find a new play for 4th and short, make sure you don't take the delay, and make sure that everyone knows the play call.
They converted on 4th down. That's definitely a spot where I'm okay with taking your time to make sure you get it right.

If this was the NFL, I would agree with you. But with 4 minutes left in the 2nd in college?
9/10 times, you're not going to need that timeout, and 4/10 times, a college player is going to mess up trying to go fast in a high pressure situation.

I think he did the right thing here. If they don't get flagged for holding then they are sitting on the 11 with 4:06 left to go in the half.

Last edited:

I don't have a problem with that one. Take a minute to check the chart, talk through the kick or go decision, find a new play for 4th and short, make sure you don't take the delay, and make sure that everyone knows the play call.
They converted on 4th down. That's definitely a spot where I'm okay with taking your time to make sure you get it right.

If this was the NFL, I would agree with you. But with 4 minutes left in the 2nd in college?
9/10 times, you're not going to need that timeout, and 4/10 times, a college player is going to mess up trying to go fast in a high pressure situation.

I think he did the right thing here.

Similarly the first timeout of the first half was spent on after sending the offense on the field for fourth down. Standing around for 30 seconds. Then calling time-out and attempting a 50 yard field goal. Probably not the worst timeout in the world but still a waste.

Honestly I was thinking at the time that they should have just taken the delay of game there and punted it deep like we did in a similar situation early on against Penn State.

Did they ever let Zach Terrell change the play at the LOS, or did he also have to look to the sideline and snap the ball with 1 second left on the play clock? That’s fine if you’re sitting on a big lead, but not when you’re down by 10 points in the 4th quarter. Will they ever trust Morgan to change the play on his own? There is much to like about the PJ/Ciarrocca offense, but this is going to cost them more games in the future if they don’t figure out a way to get the play in quicker. I understand the reason they run it down is to give the defense less time to counter the play call, but they need to switch it up late in games.

Last edited:

I think he did the right thing here.

That being said, the timeouts were far from the reason we lost the game. We just flat out got out-schemed and outplayed in the first half, especially on D. These mistakes are still annoying though because of how close it was and in a game this close, little things like this stand out and matter in retrospect.

I agree the time management was a little frustrating at points yesterday, but dudes, come on. This offense is operating at a top 10 level nationally...and it wasn't too many weeks ago that they drove 90 yards in 90 seconds with no timeouts against GSU. I'm pretty sure there's a reason for everything they do and for the most part it's working. I'm not saying they can't change their best, but the constant complaining about clock management and TO's is a little tiresome given their success.

Very few games are lost on time-outs.
Yesterday time out usage wasn't why we lost.

Not in the top 5 reasons.

Top five reasons we lost yesterday (in no order).

Missed tackles
Dropped ball(s)
O-Line play
4th down decisions
Kicking game
Cold start on defense

Last edited:

Very few games are lost on time-outs.
Yesterday time out usage wasn't why we lost.

Not in the top 5 reasons.

Top five reasons we lost yesterday (in no order).

Missed tackles
Dropped ball(s)
O-Line play
4th down decisions
Kicking game
Cold start on defense

We must give credit to Iowa and Ferentz. He's a wily old fox and they scouted us well and executed a game plan to beat us.

And yet some how the Gophers were 9-0 going into this game.

If only they had managed timeouts better imagine what the record would’ve been.

In my time zone the game got over at 6:00 am, didn't read the postgame posts.

As a perpetual lurker, when I started reading today's messages expected more gloom... surprisingly good posts on all angles.

But, the above on this gloomy day was the most apt and funny!!

Thanks

Last edited:

It’s a check with me offense. Morgan has to look to look to the sideline. If they don’t get the play called in time, it’s on the coaches. If he calls his own play, he’s going against what he’s been told to do. That’s not going to happen.

Yep. As others have said, Fleck & Co got out coached yesterday and fell into the old time management mistakes we've seen in the past. It is perplexing not running a hurry up, as I saw them practice it almost to perfection at all the practices I attended.

Also didn't get why they put Kramer in for Morgan at the end instead of Clark, who has the best arm of those three. If that is the play, you put in the guy who can make the throw.

Bandwagon fan?? I've been to 50 games in the last decade.

We should have kicked the field goal late in the third. And PJ's time-out management has been crap all year even though it hasn't hurt us until tonight.

How can you have seen 50 games and not have figured out that the head coach is calling time out ONLY because there is no played called and the clock has reached "1" second left. What do you want him to do, take the five yard penalty?!? How will that help? The problem is that the offensive play caller is not getting the play call to the QB in time and yes that is a big problem that needs to be fixed.

How can you have seen 50 games and not have figured out that the head coach is calling time out ONLY because there is no played called and the clock has reached "1" second left. What do you want him to do, take the five yard penalty?!? How will that help? The problem is that the offensive play caller is not getting the play call to the QB in time and yes that is a big problem that needs to be fixed.

That’s exactly right. It’s amazing how many casual fans think this is Morgan’s fault. It was all over Twitter, and even here to some extent.

Top Bottom