Bad timeouts

GoldenGophers7

The 1 The only
Reaction score
The bad timeouts have to stop. This has been an issue dating back to last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Can't believe we took that TO at the goal line.

Cant be running on the field either when it's going to be first down on the 2 yard line.

I love Fleck, but he was brutal today!

This one is completely on Fleck and the coaching staff. Despite our **** D in the first half, we should have won this. We lost the same way Penn State lost to us last week. Bad coaching in key situations.

Scheme on D the first half was completely off and we got exposed.
Chasing points when we should have kicked for 3.
Kicking from 50+ yards when we should have punted and pinned them deep.
Bad timeout management.
Fleck running around like a dancing monkey on the field.
I could go on.

That being said.. I'm still confident about this season. 11-1 and the Rose Bowl is still very much achievable.

Last edited:

This one is completely on Fleck and the coaching staff. Despite our **** D in the first half, we should have won this. We lost the same way Penn State lost to us last week. Bad coaching in key situations.

Bad timeout management.
I could go on.

That being said.. I'm still confident about this season. 11-1 and the Rose Bowl is still very much achievable.

Well stated.

That slow burn a time out on hurry up Goalline offense is inexcusable

Wtf is he flapping his arms 20 seconds for???? ����

It's been a problem and it's not getting any better. Beyond frustrating and inexplicable.

I don’t get why we still do the sideline check when the clock is important. We’re not always gonna get the perfect play, we just have to go.

QB has to have better game awareness there. It was a poor choice to use 30 seconds plus time out. Morgan needed to call a play there and stick with it. Time was to important there to take that much time.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Bad timeout management.
I could go on.

We didn't have a kicker, what the hell are you talking about, 'should have taken 3'?

The defensive scheme got fixed at the half.

Fleck has taken those timeouts all year, and they have won us about 4 games.
W/o them we wouldn't have been in this game. They led to a key conversion and a touchdown.

These bandwagon fans are off their rockers.

We didn't have a kicker, what the hell are you talking about, 'should have taken 3'?

The defensive scheme got fixed at the half.

Fleck has taken those timeouts all year, and they have won us about 4 games.
W/o them we wouldn't have been in this game. They led to a key conversion and a touchdown.

These bandwagon fans are off their rockers.
Bandwagon fan?? I've been to 50 games in the last decade.

We should have kicked the field goal late in the third. And PJ's time-out management has been crap all year even though it hasn't hurt us until tonight.

Last edited:

We should have kicked the field goal late in the third. And PJ's time-out management has been crap all year even though it hasn't hurt us until tonight.

Have you been to a game this year? Because his timeouts to check into the right play won us the game vSDSU, @Fresno, vGSU, and vPSU.
Not only that, but they got us back into this game. One converted 3rd and long and the other scored.

We are very good at burning the clock, but we need a good amount of work on the hurry up.

It was a frustrating game and while we shot oourselves in the foot more than once, I expected Iowa would be tough and they were. We are still in great shape.

Have you been to a game this year? Because his timeouts to check into the right play won us the game vSDSU, @Fresno, vGSU, and vPSU.
Not only that, but they got us back into this game. One converted 3rd and long and the other scored.

Maryland, Nebraska and Penn State. And I'll be there vs Sconnie.

If we hadn't wasted that first timeout we would have had two more shots from the 5 yard line at the end of the first half. The bad timeouts were less important in the second half but would have been more critical if we had made some progress and gotten closer on that last drive.

This was so confusing to me, do we not have a quick go to play in that scenario?

That’s a great question. If we don’t, this is Busch league all the way.

Maryland, Nebraska and Penn State. And I'll be there vs Sconnie.

If we hadn't wasted that first timeout we would have had two more shots from the 5 yard line at the end of the first half. The bad timeouts were less important in the second half but would have been more critical if we had made some progress and gotten closer on that last drive.

Okay, then you have seen him check into multiple 15 yard catches off of a timeout because of poor defensive scheming. He knows what he is doing far more than any coach we have had in my lifetime. What he is doing is working.

Doesn’t matter how many games you have been to. A “true” fan supports PJ at all times no matter what. New around here?

Doesn’t matter how many games you have been to. A “true” fan supports PJ at all times no matter what. New around here?

Oh please Spoofin, I was as critical of Fleck as anyone when he came in here with his awful defense and crap running game. You can't honestly look at his body of work this season and say he isn't doing things the right way.

Okay, then you have seen him check into multiple 15 yard catches off of a timeout because of poor defensive scheming. He knows what he is doing far more than any coach we have had in my lifetime. What he is doing is working.

I don't disagree that he's the most successful and talented Gopher football coach in my lifetime. But he and the coaching staff made several key mistakes today that cost us the game. That being said I'm still confident in this team and think we're going 11-1 and are on track for the Rose Bowl.

In the end of the game, we didn't convert on 4th down, so I'm not sure what another time out would have done.

People like to blame games on timeouts a lot, but the way the game ended we just would have made Iowa down it one extra time had we had one more timeout.

I think people love to criticize timeouts because in Madden you get to call timeouts and you feel like a genius for doing it, but very few games have mattered on timeouts.

Oh please Spoofin, I was as critical of Fleck as anyone when he came in here with his awful defense and crap running game. You can't honestly look at his body of work this season and say he isn't doing things the right way.

I wouldn’t say that. He has done great things this year. Not today.

Also, if we had an extra timeout when Iowa has the ball with 3 minutes left, do you think they call different plays to maybe get that first down instead of two runs?
Chances are equally as great if we have two timeouts that Iowa converts the first down and kills the game then.
But with only one, they know they can run it under 2:00 minutes so they go conservative.

Also, if we had an extra timeout when Iowa has the ball with 3 minutes left, do you think they call different plays to maybe get that first down instead of two runs?
Chances are equally as great if we have two timeouts that Iowa converts the first down and kills the game then.
But with only one, they know they can run it under 2:00 minutes so they go conservative.

Sure - and TJ dropping the ball could have saved a pick-6 on the next play.
Did I do that right?

In addition to burning timeouts we needed, why cant we get plays called in quickly in hurry up situations?

I also had a depa vu feeling from 2015 Michigan when we weren't ready to snap the ball right away when they ran the clock after the review. Why weren't we ready to snap it on the clock run after the injury to Tanner? We had an extended timeout to be ready for the play.

I agree with the majority of criticisms I'm seeing here, but I'm good with the decision to go for it on 4th and 4, especially after seeing the missed extra point. Our kicking situation is not even remotely reliable. We ran the right play, it just didn't happen.

In addition to burning timeouts we needed, why cant we get plays called in quickly in hurry up situations?

I also had a depa vu feeling from 2015 Michigan when we weren't ready to snap the ball right away when they ran the clock after the review. Why weren't we ready to snap it on the clock run after the injury to Tanner? We had an extended timeout to be ready for the play.

The difference here is that they are checking into other plays, whereas in 2015 they called one play that just had a ton of slow motion attached.
There's a reason Limegover got fired.

Top Bottom