Military academy athletes can get waivers to delay service, go pro

MplsGopher

Reaction score
"
Defense Secretary Mark Esper has opened the door for athletes at the nation's military academies to delay their active-duty service to play professional sports after they graduate.

Esper signed a memo last Friday laying out the new guidelines, which say the athletes must get approval from the defense secretary and require them to eventually fulfill their military obligation or repay the costs of their education.

"

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...emy-athletes-get-waivers-delay-service-go-pro

I agree with this 100%.

Athletics are important recruiting tools for the schools that the teams represent. Navy and Army with powerful, P5 level football teams, would be good for the country and good for college football.

Now do I think those will ever get to that level, of Notre Dame competitiveness? Probably not. It's still a much more difficult daily routine and 3/4 years than you would get at a regular college. Takes a special young man to take on that challenge, which I think most elite recruits would choose to forgo. But I do think this opens the door for them to upgrade their recruiting talent by some amount.

I think Army and Navy both running the triple-option is the right thing, as well. Gives them both the best chance to win, with the type of players they can get.

Dislike part of this - can’t believe they’re letting them off the hook if they pay back the cost of education. Unbelievable. What example does that set to everyone else? No issue with delayed entry.

The federal government ended this policy in May 2017 and is now reinstating it?

David Robinson attended the Naval Academy and was drafted first overall by the Spurs in 1987. A deal was struck so he had to serve two years in the reserves and signed with the Spurs for the 1989 - 1990 season. It seemed work out for everyone and he was used in Naval Promotions for years.

Top Bottom