Huskers extend Scott Frost through 2026

johnnybb

Reaction score
Story here.

It's a 2 year extension of his existing contract.

Scott Frost is 8-14. The powers that be must have faith in him? Or is this in order to allow him to recruit more effectively (since players he recruits this year know he'll be there through their career)?

Two "tremendous-es" in the press statement. Acceptance and praise for losing football. They are starting to sink below the Brew Line.

Underneath all of their over-the-top delusion, they are scared to death down there in Lincoln.

Story here.

Scott Frost is 8-14. The powers that be must have faith in him? Or is this in order to allow him to recruit more effectively (since players he recruits this year know he'll be there through their career)?

Probably a combo of both. Actually encouraging to see programs get behind their coaches in a day and age where places are starting to cut bait sooner and sooner.

Coaches getting fired in under 2 full seasons is just mind blowing. Football is one of the hardest sports out there to perform a quick fix in because there are so many moving parts. Plus it usually takes players time to reach their full potential. In my opinion, if there are not off the field issues, a coach should get a minimum of 4 seasons in football.

Two prominent (maybe 'formerly prominent') programs have now taken polar opposite approaches to rebuilding:

Florida State: Extreme impatience.

Nebraska: Extreme patience.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the two schools.

Probably a combo of both. Actually encouraging to see programs get behind their coaches in a day and age where places are starting to cut bait sooner and sooner.

Coaches getting fired in under 2 full seasons is just mind blowing. Football is one of the hardest sports out there to perform a quick fix in because there are so many moving parts. Plus it usually takes players time to reach their full potential. In my opinion, if there are not off the field issues, a coach should get a minimum of 4 seasons in football.

Yeah, that’s not sustainable for any program, financially speaking. It also doesn’t send a good message to future hires. It’s much cheaper to lock up a good coach and support his staff than cycle through mediocre ones. Even in the depths of the Robb Smith abyss (seems like years ago...) I think most fans understood PJFF (I’m thinking about adding an extra initial going forward) would get 4-5 years to right the ship. He’s ahead of schedule.

I just sent my sister in law (Nebraska faculty/season ticket holder/attempted brainwasher of my children) a message inquiring about the contract extension. Her reply was as follows:

we do often give people an extension before we let them go so we can pay them more money for not working.

See also: bo pelini, Mike Riley

Not saying they are letting him go. I’m not starting a rumor. She just didn’t think the timing of an extension was appropriate given their success (or lack thereof) on the field.

Smart move by Nebraska. Frost will do just fine.

Agreed. Nebraska has the same issue that Michigan has. Who is going to replace him? Neither schools have top tier, legacy coaches waiting in the wings. Instead they have the top tier legacy coach already. Keep him and give him time. Frost will win his share of games, of that I'm not worried.

Story here.

I am amazed at how many ADs get fleeced with this idea that you need to extend the coach for recruiting purposes. If the buy out is such that rubes on a message board can see that it is a "fake" extension to convey stability to recruits, I have to imagine the recruits can see that too (especially when opposing coaches are so willing to point it out).

I say the Huskers should go out and win a big one for their coach today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if there was a quid pro quo: we’ll extend your contract if you assure us you’ll fire the DC and other coaching staff.

Frost was not going anywhere anyway. This his his alma mater, home state dream job. It is simply a message to the fan base and recruits to show stability.

Story here.

They have faith in him or he has pictures on them???

Frost was not going anywhere anyway. This his his alma mater, home state dream job. It is simply a message to the fan base and recruits to show stability.

Yep. He'll get four years, enough time to show what he can do with "his guys".

I have no problem with this contract extension. Nebraska isn't an easy rebuild. He needs more time and potential recruits need to know he will be at Nebraska for their careers. I think Scott Frost is a good coach and was the right hire, but Mike Riley was very much the wrong hire, so it's going to take some time clean up that mess.

I heard a MAC school trying to steal him from little red. They had to pay him or they were going to lose him. No choice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are currently in a better spot than Nebraska.

Top Bottom