The Notorious B1G Podcast: Will Minnesota and Illinois wins affect recruiting?

hungan1

Reaction score
The Notorious B1G Recruiting Podcast 11/12/2019
with Allen Trieu and Steve Wilfong

It is 41 minutes long, but is really worth listening to.

This is a great podcast on the impact of the Penn State win to Gopher Recruiting. Also - Allen and Steve discussed the Gophers successful recruiting strategy.

Recruiting visitors and those recruits watching the PSU game elsewhere are excited about Gopher Football.

This bodes well for the future of the program.

https://megaphone.link/CBS8902530011 Select #2 - Will Minnesota and Illinois wins affect recruiting?

Last edited:

Thanks for posting the info. Not a link I would have found.

PJ appears to have the intangibles. Young men want to play for him. He seems to have a knack for attracting quality assistants. And he DEFINITELY understands the importance of local and national PR. Everyone is talking about the gophers.

The Notorious B1G Recruiting Podcast 11/12/2019
with Allen Trieu and Steve Wilfong

It is 41 minutes long, but is really worth listening to.

This is a great podcast on the impact of the Penn State win to Gopher Recruiting. Also - Allen and Steve discussed the Gophers successful recruiting strategy.

Recruiting visitors and those recruits watching the PSU game elsewhere are excited about Gopher Football.

This bodes well for the future of the program.

https://megaphone.link/CBS8902530011 Select #2 - Will Minnesota and Illinois wins affect recruiting?

There was some good info on there - thanks! The Gopher recruiting is just about done for this year so I do not know how much this win really mattered for this year, other than it helped keep the kids from flipping. It is a good, solid class and I think PJ Fleck got some kids he really wanted, but it is also ranked the #34 class and I wonder if it could have been even better if we were just getting commitments now. These days, everyone is getting their commitments very early then you have to hold on. Back in the day, we usually got most of our commitments in December and January. It's just different now and you have to get these locked in early or get left out in the cold.

I think the most intriguing thing about this win for recruiting will be NEXT year's class as well as some of the last few spots. I have a feeling we might get some nice surprises to fill out the class!

The Gophers are recruiting to their system and they pay attention to "right kind of players" they pick in great detail. That is simply smart recruiting. The advertised four stars will come will a little greater frequency now that the pulse of the program is getting known. Thanks to PJ Fleck's masterful brand marketing and exposure. He has gone national with the Gopher Football story every chance that he gets.

Look at Tanner Morgan. He was a hidden gem and his height prevented him from getting D1 offers he would have like. He sure did make up for his perceived shortcoming height-wise with the cerebral talent, game awareness, and accuracy that he has. Most importantly, his attitude and leadership quality. He was giving candy and other little token gifts to the linemen that protected him in HS. His dad is a football coach. He coached Tanner until he later on.

They are using all avenues of recruiting to pluck talent or depth deficits. IMHO, the transfer portal is going to be a valuable recruiting tool. They got Micah Drew-Treadway and Benjamin St. Juste. They are heavily recruiting a stud player on defense from JC. The Penn State game plus being 9-0 is helping recruiting.

The important thing, recruiting as whole quality-wise should improve. They will get more four stars in the mix. But, they will still recruit a hidden three star that probably should be ranked as a four/five star. They recruit to their system. They really pay attention to great detail through hard work. That is what PJ Fleck partially probably mean by "we are not for everyone".

Their reach is more national than the 600-mile radius.

What is interesting is when a team goes to play in the championship, it impacts their recruiting. They anticipated going further this season. So, they did all their heavy recruiting back in July.

How is that for tactical planning and strategy in recruiting? The Gophers sure do have a pulse into the art of recruiting. "Recruiting is everything".

Last edited:

They can’t hurt. I didn’t listen to the cast but I would imagine this is boosting Illinois because it’s changed the coaching staff status from likely fired to likely staying at least a couple more years.

For Minnesota it’s lifting the Gophers into a whole other tier of college football (a two tier jump) if it can be sustained. But Rutgers has had an awesome season. So did Kansas, Maryland, Wake Forest, and Illinois. It’s not guaranteed. I believe PJ can make us the next Wisconsin or Oregon and not a one hit wonder.

He has said from the very beginning this where he wants to stay. Minnesota checked all the boxes. He is running into the fire. I think Minnesota is a perfect fit for him if he wants to be build a dynastic program. He and Mark Coyle have shared visions. It is looking like everybody is listening up the chain. Minnesota is simply tired of mediocrity in football and other sports. This is our guy.

I am still shaking my head. Thanks to Kill and Claeys for not leaving the cupboard bare. A turn around in three years in a school like Minnesota?

Top Bottom