Gophers lose to a team that did not play an upperclassmen

Just ignore Dolly. He hasn't had his Oreos yet for the day. Once he eats a couple sleeves of Mega Stuffs he'll settle down and go back in his hole.

Yes, your one-note nonsensical joke gets more and more hilarious each of the dozens of times you say it. Just hysterical.

Whatever happened where people would just share opinions and insights on Gopher and college basketball. Why the personal assaults ?

Man I love your interjections. I said having his father be a lengendary coach did help him get started. I also said he wasn't unprepared to be a Big Ten coach, but to ignore that he was well thought of on the staffs he was with is assinine and disrespectful. You're right though, he should just not take jobs since he's a Pitino. Hate that argument.

He did the right thing in taking the job. He should not have been offered the job. Once he got the job it would have been great to build a identity into the program from day one. Start with character, build a defense, thus a toughness, coach to efficiency. That is naming three things i observed. The defensive rankings for this regime have been terrible and so has the efficiency. That is a reflection on how they are taught, what is emphasized . Do it now ! I am in the minority of saying it will be this year to build a foundation solidly.

He did the right thing in taking the job. He should not have been offered the job. Once he got the job it would have been great to build a identity into the program from day one. Start with character, build a defense, thus a toughness, coach to efficiency. That is naming three things i observed. The defensive rankings for this regime have been terrible and so has the efficiency. That is a reflection on how they are taught, what is emphasized . Do it now ! I am in the minority of saying it will be this year to build a foundation solidly.

We agree on pretty much everything here. When he came here he fixed a few things well. He rebuilt relationships with Pulley and the HS coaches. I think his biggest mistakes were: bad character kids recruiting wise, lack of focus on defense, and having Kimani Young as his lead recruiter. Those have all changed, but may be too late to see rewards

I’m not blaming him for seeking out jobs or accepting them, I’m blaming the athletic directors who hire him and retain him despite his lack of ability, achievement, and qualifications.

An NCAA Tournament win in 2019 (you used to think those were important), a #5 seed in an NCAA Tournament in 2017 and Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2017 are not considered achievements?

An NCAA Tournament win in 2019 (you used to think those were important), a #5 seed in an NCAA Tournament in 2017 and Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2017 are not considered achievements?

I didn't say he didn't have any achievements, I said he had a lack of them. The NCAA Tournament win was great - I could not care less about the other two. He got the COY award because he was coming off the worst season in Gopher basketball history. Almost anything would look great in comparison to that, and making the Tournament the following year looked like a miracle - never mind that he was the one responsible for the prior (and following) year as well.

A 5 seed and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

Like dpodoll68 says, he was coach of the year in part because his previous year was horrific (historically bad).

Again, you have to judge the record on its totality. He had one really good year, one year that was a struggle but still ended well enough despite not reaching .500 in the conference, one NIT championship with Tubby's players (still good), and three years with no postseason where we played among the bottom 4 on Wednesday of the Big Ten tournament. Although I won't make a definitive prediction about this year yet, it's looking like one of those no-postseason years where we once again play on Wednesday of the conference tournament. Right now I don't see this team doing any better than 6-4 in non-conference (and it could well be worse than that) and I don't see how it can do well enough in conference play to even make the NIT.

So, two NCAA tournaments, one NIT, and probably four seasons of no postseason in 7 years. Do you think that deserves 8 or more years? Is that the kind of success that you were hoping for? I don't want to hear "But...but....but... he's ready to turn the corner....it's just around the bend!" I've been hearing that for several years now. Sooner or later you have to cut bait.

It’s not asinine or disrespectful to say he hasn’t earned anything, it’s simply factual. There is 0.0% chance that he is a Division I assistant coach at age 22 if he had a different last name and was born to a different father. That undeserved position set in motion a career that enabled him to be a Power 5 head coach at age 30. He hasn’t earned anything - everything he has attained to this point is due to his blood. He seems like a great guy and someone I’d be happy to call my friend, but he is not a good Big Ten head basketball coach (to put it mildly) and I’d rather have an asshole who is a quality coach than a cool guy who sucks at his job.

That cool guy who sucks at his job has won as many NCAA tournament games as your god, Tubby. Only one of these opponents had just lost their best player.

You don't like Pitino. We got it after your first 2,000 reminders. I have to give you credit though: you're a hell of a troll.

I didn't say he didn't have any achievements, I said he had a lack of them. The NCAA Tournament win was great - I could not care less about the other two. He got the COY award because he was coming off the worst season in Gopher basketball history. Almost anything would look great in comparison to that, and making the Tournament the following year looked like a miracle - never mind that he was the one responsible for the prior (and following) year as well.

A 5 seed and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

Hmmm, you couldn't care less about making the tournament in 2017, yet, just a few months ago you said that you only cared about making the tournament. Do you see the problem here? Could this possibly be your anti-Pitino agenda???

It should be easy to understand that everybody has different standards to what they think is successful. One person may think 2-3 NCAA berths and one victory is really outstanding. A fan should not be mocked if that record pleases them. Just like a fan should not be called a troll if they think never being in contention for a conference title even once in 6 years. A terrible conference record, historically bad road conference record. We kept all the data on non blue blood programs that built big time winners and there were common connections without exception. Pointing out the shortcomings does not mean i am less a fan of someone else.

Hmmm, you couldn't care less about making the tournament in 2017, yet, just a few months ago you said that you only cared about making the tournament. Do you see the problem here? Could this possibly be your anti-Pitino agenda???

Can you read? Please point out where I said I didn't care about making the Tournament. Thanks in advance.

That cool guy who sucks at his job has won as many NCAA tournament games as your god, Tubby. Only one of these opponents had just lost their best player.

You don't like Pitino. We got it after your first 2,000 reminders. I have to give you credit though: you're a hell of a troll.

UCLA didn't lose their best player, no matter how many times all of you lie about it.

I've been very consistent regarding my opinion of Pitino since the beginning. Because I don't blindly support his many shortcomings, that means I'm a troll? Ok.

Like dpodoll68 says, he was coach of the year in part because his previous year was horrific (historically bad).

Again, you have to judge the record on its totality. He had one really good year, one year that was a struggle but still ended well enough despite not reaching .500 in the conference, one NIT championship with Tubby's players (still good), and three years with no postseason where we played among the bottom 4 on Wednesday of the Big Ten tournament. Although I won't make a definitive prediction about this year yet, it's looking like one of those no-postseason years where we once again play on Wednesday of the conference tournament. Right now I don't see this team doing any better than 6-4 in non-conference (and it could well be worse than that) and I don't see how it can do well enough in conference play to even make the NIT.

So, two NCAA tournaments, one NIT, and probably four seasons of no postseason in 7 years. Do you think that deserves 8 or more years? Is that the kind of success that you were hoping for? I don't want to hear "But...but....but... he's ready to turn the corner....it's just around the bend!" I've been hearing that for several years now. Sooner or later you have to cut bait.

This part has been discussed numerous times and there is plenty of blame to go around. That year they knew they were going to be bad and were willing to take their bumps. I think awards are worthless anyways, more interested in program direction and I see it rising. I know many others don't. That is the only reason I still support Richard as our coach. His earlier choices were awful and I don't blame fans for having a ton of faith, but I see growth and specific changes that were made for the better.

My big issue with Pitino - after 7 years, I have no idea what this program's identity is. Most successful coaches have an identity. They have a system - they recruit players who fit that system - and when you watch them play, you could take the names off the jerseys and you can still say, "That's Duke" - "that's Kansas" -"That's Kentucky" - because they have an identity.

What is the Gophers' identity? I honestly don't know and can't say. if he is recruiting players to fit a system, I can't tell what that system is. That is what gets me. Beyond wins and losses, I just want this team to have an identity. Pick a system - recruit players who fit that system - and stick to the system.
Far too often, the Gophers look like their system is "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks."

Pitino has had some advantages that Tubby did not have and hasn't capitalized on them to the extent I would have expected. The recruiting base in Minnesota really been good, exponentially better than Tubby ever had, Pitino has had some limited success tapping the local market but not to the hoped for level, and secondly the new training center. It is hard to tell how Tubby would have done but so far Pitino has been a bit of a disappointment.

I think the fact that we are debating whether Pitino will be here after year 7 really tells the full story.

Pitino has had some advantages that Tubby did not have and hasn't capitalized on them to the extent I would have expected. The recruiting base in Minnesota really been good, exponentially better than Tubby ever had, Pitino has had some limited success tapping the local market but not to the hoped for level, and secondly the new training center. It is hard to tell how Tubby would have done but so far Pitino has been a bit of a disappointment.
Can guarantee where Tubbys standings were with HS and AAU coaches he wasn’t well thought of and was not getting any local kids most likely. It was one of the reasons he was let go. Tubby wouldn’t have got Johnson or Coffey either. Can’t say for sure on Hurt, Kalscheur, Oturo, or Omersa. Not an excuse for Richard either on missing others

Can you read? Please point out where I said I didn't care about making the Tournament. Thanks in advance.

The NCAA Tournament win was great - I could not care less about the other two.

You're welcome.

UCLA didn't lose their best player, no matter how many times all of you lie about it.

I've been very consistent regarding my opinion of Pitino since the beginning. Because I don't blindly support his many shortcomings, that means I'm a troll? Ok.

Yes they did ... https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...tears-after-ucla-learns-of-adams-broken-foot/

"UCLA was playing its best basketball of the season, winning nine of its last 11 games -- and Adams was a major reason for the team's success. One of UCLA's assistant coaches had told me less than 24 hours earlier that Adams was the team's toughest player. He is also the Bruins' most effective and versatile overall scorer and proved that down the stretch against Arizona, at one point scoring 11 straight points for Howland's club."

"It's difficult to fathom, though, this UCLA team making a run without Adams. Muhammad is the team's leading scorer, but he can't manufacture a bucket with ease in the same manner as Adams. This team, which has virtually no depth, needed all of its pieces to make a legitimate run in the NCAA tournament. Now the Bruins don't even have a backup guard behind Drew and Norman Powell, who will almost certainly be thrust into the starting lineup."

So, does it bother you that Pitino has the same number of tournament wins as your hero? Or how about the fact that only one of those coaches went against a team that just lost its best player? If you want to argue that Shabazz and his empty stats, terrible defense, and incredibly selfish play made him the best player, fine, but Adams was easily the most important player to that team. Please explain the lie.

You've clearly lost both arguments, so I expect that you won't respond. I'll take your silence as admission of defeat :)

Yes they did ... https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...tears-after-ucla-learns-of-adams-broken-foot/

"UCLA was playing its best basketball of the season, winning nine of its last 11 games -- and Adams was a major reason for the team's success. One of UCLA's assistant coaches had told me less than 24 hours earlier that Adams was the team's toughest player. He is also the Bruins' most effective and versatile overall scorer and proved that down the stretch against Arizona, at one point scoring 11 straight points for Howland's club."

"It's difficult to fathom, though, this UCLA team making a run without Adams. Muhammad is the team's leading scorer, but he can't manufacture a bucket with ease in the same manner as Adams. This team, which has virtually no depth, needed all of its pieces to make a legitimate run in the NCAA tournament. Now the Bruins don't even have a backup guard behind Drew and Norman Powell, who will almost certainly be thrust into the starting lineup."

So, does it bother you that Pitino has the same number of tournament wins as your hero? Or how about the fact that only one of those coaches went against a team that just lost its best player? If you want to argue that Shabazz and his empty stats, terrible defense, and incredibly selfish play made him the best player, fine, but Adams was easily the most important player to that team. Please explain the lie.

You've clearly lost both arguments, so I expect that you won't respond. I'll take your silence as admission of defeat :)
You're not bright. I said that I don't care about a 5 seed. How do you get from that statement that I don't care about making the Tournament? That 5 seed got us bounced in the first round. I care about making the Tournament and winning games - it doesn't matter to me whether we're a 1 or 16 seed. Get in and win. Ideally, we have a higher seed to get an easier matchup, but that concept did nothing for us in 2017.

Again, because you're not bright, you're unable to see that nowhere in the article you posted does it say that Jordan Adams was their best player. He wasn't. Even if the article said as much (which, again, it absolutely does not) it still wouldn't be accurate. Typically, when people cite a source, it bolsters their argument, and yet you posted an article that had nothing to do with yours.

And I'm sure repeating the "Tubby is my hero" garbage is hilarious to a simpleton like you, but in actuality I have merely defended his accomplishments to a fanbase that has hated him practically since he took the job. He was fired nearly 7 years ago and he still gets destroyed almost daily on this website. And yet, his accomplishments exceeded the current coach who a certain segment bizarrely defends tooth and nail despite his unquestionably being among the worst coaches this program has ever had.

You're not bright. I said that I don't care about a 5 seed. How do you get from that statement that I don't care about making the Tournament? That 5 seed got us bounced in the first round. I care about making the Tournament and winning games - it doesn't matter to me whether we're a 1 or 16 seed. Get in and win. Ideally, we have a higher seed to get an easier matchup, but that concept did nothing for us in 2017.

Again, because you're not bright, you're unable to see that nowhere in the article you posted does it say that Jordan Adams was their best player. He wasn't. Even if the article said as much (which, again, it absolutely does not) it still wouldn't be accurate. Typically, when people cite a source, it bolsters their argument, and yet you posted an article that had nothing to do with yours.

And I'm sure repeating the "Tubby is my hero" garbage is hilarious to a simpleton like you, but in actuality I have merely defended his accomplishments to a fanbase that has hated him practically since he took the job. He was fired nearly 7 years ago and he still gets destroyed almost daily on this website. And yet, his accomplishments exceeded the current coach who a certain segment bizarrely defends tooth and nail despite his unquestionably being among the worst coaches this program has ever had.

For someone who says he doesn't care if people like him, you sure get defensive and are on the attack a lot. Judging one's intellect on a post from a basketball forum is silly.

A real question I have and am hoping for an answer of depth and with data is how do you believe that Tubby was hated here "practically since he took the job". I just don't remember it that way. Tubby ran into some horrible and good luck. Had Royce and Trevor played here together and Cobbs never left, that's a top 15 if not top 10 team in the country. He also became disliked by many because of how he treated people. He was similar to Glen Mason in those regards.

Also in your opinion do you believe Tubby continues to win at his same rate with a roster that was seemingly on the downturn?

For someone who says he doesn't care if people like him, you sure get defensive and are on the attack a lot. Judging one's intellect on a post from a basketball forum is silly.

I'm supposed to just sit back and let some stalker's late night posts cast aspersions on me and not say anything? Not gonna happen. It has nothing to do with being liked, it's countering blatant falsehoods.

A real question I have and am hoping for an answer of depth and with data is how do you believe that Tubby was hated here "practically since he took the job". I just don't remember it that way. Tubby ran into some horrible and good luck. Had Royce and Trevor played here together and Cobbs never left, that's a top 15 if not top 10 team in the country. He also became disliked by many because of how he treated people. He was similar to Glen Mason in those regards.

The "lack of effort" and "coasting into retirement after running from the Kentucky firing squad" canards were into play by at least his 3rd, if not 2nd, season. People wanted to pretend that he was coasting and didn't give effort, yet he produced good results and signed good players. His results were not great, but better than his predecessor and successor - what could we have accomplished if he "tried"?

What evidence do you have that he treated people poorly? Sounds like hearsay to me. Again, what does being disliked have to do with anything? Coaches can be assholes, and no one cares, if they produce results. I am certain that Tubby wasn't going to change his methods, which turned him into a HOF coach from nothing, just to be well-liked.

Further, a guy who was "coasting into retirement" sure has a funny way of doing it, considering that he is on his 3rd job since being fired here. He was just shy of 62 when fired here - he could've retired then and no one would've judged him poorly for it. Why would a guy "coasting into retirement" keep taking any jobs, let alone a job at his downtrodden alma mater in the Big South Conference?

Also in your opinion do you believe Tubby continues to win at his same rate with a roster that was seemingly on the downturn?

I don't know, and I can't know, because I'm not a soothsayer and I don't have a crystal ball. And what evidence do you have that his roster was seemingly on the downturn? His 6th and final season was also his best. Since when do we fire people based on speculation that they're going to perform poorly in the future, instead of allowing them to actually perform poorly?

Oh, and why are we talking about any of this, instead of how much Pitino has sucked? I didn't bring Tubby into this conversation at all, and yet I'm supposed to answer for him. It couldn't be that we're trying to distract from the terrible performance of the current coach, could it?

I'm supposed to just sit back and let some stalker's late night posts cast aspersions on me and not say anything? Not gonna happen. It has nothing to do with being liked, it's countering blatant falsehoods.

Fair enough, your life there.

The "lack of effort" and "coasting into retirement after running from the Kentucky firing squad" canards were into play by at least his 3rd, if not 2nd, season. People wanted to pretend that he was coasting and didn't give effort, yet he produced good results and signed good players. His results were not great, but better than his predecessor and successor - what could we have accomplished if he "tried"?

What evidence do you have that he treated people poorly? Sounds like hearsay to me. Again, what does being disliked have to do with anything? Coaches can be assholes, and no one cares, if they produce results. I am certain that Tubby wasn't going to change his methods, which turned him into a HOF coach from nothing, just to be well-liked.

My evidence is directly from a large amount of high school and AAU coaches who I had conversations with. He wasn't even allowed to run a clinic anymore. No one went to his team camps, etc... You can be a jerk, but you need to know where your bread is buttered and you can't have everyone dislike you. Bret Beilema in Wisconsin is a good example of this.

Further, a guy who was "coasting into retirement" sure has a funny way of doing it, considering that he is on his 3rd job since being fired here. He was just shy of 62 when fired here - he could've retired then and no one would've judged him poorly for it. Why would a guy "coasting into retirement" keep taking any jobs, let alone a job at his downtrodden alma mater in the Big South Conference?

Thank you for that. Correct I heard those as well into his 2nd and 3rd year. I thought you meant during his initial hire. He was running from Kentucky no doubt though, but that isn't a reason to not want him. Some jobs are fits and some are not.

I don't know, and I can't know, because I'm not a soothsayer and I don't have a crystal ball. And what evidence do you have that his roster was seemingly on the downturn? His 6th and final season was also his best. Since when do we fire people based on speculation that they're going to perform poorly in the future, instead of allowing them to actually perform poorly?
I was just asking for what you thought or a prediction. My evidence was the age of the roster and the recruits coming in. It wasn't going to be pretty. Wally Ellenson, Charles Buggs, Alvin Ellis, and Foster (first name is escaping me) were not good. Mo Walker didn't start losing weight until Pitino's trainer came in. Tubby was fully fired on speculation! He'd just won a tournament game.

Oh, and why are we talking about any of this, instead of how much Pitino has sucked? I didn't bring Tubby into this conversation at all, and yet I'm supposed to answer for him. It couldn't be that we're trying to distract from the terrible performance of the current coach, could it?

I just wanted your opinion. I could care less about distracting from Pitino. I truly just enjoy conversing College Basketball (specifically gophers hoops past, present, and predicted futures)

Last edited:

Tubby was fully fired on speculation! He'd just won a tournament game.

I know, that was my entire point. In no other line of work or occupation does someone lose their job on the basis of predicting that they're going to perhaps suck one day in the future, and yet not only was it done here, it was used as the main rationalization and supported by most in the fanbase.

I'm also curious why you think it matters whether local HS and AAU coaches had their widdle feelings hurt by Tubby. And why would their sore fallopian tubes matter at all as to whether a Gophers head coach is fired or retained? You just stated (accurately, I might add) in another thread that we have to get over our provincialism. You seem to be contradicting yourself here.

I know, that was my entire point. In no other line of work or occupation does someone lose their job on the basis of predicting that they're going to perhaps suck one day in the future, and yet not only was it done here, it was used as the main rationalization and supported by most in the fanbase.

Whoops sorry. I obviously wasn't bright enough to read that correctly :p

I'm also curious why you think it matters whether local HS and AAU coaches had their widdle feelings hurt by Tubby. And why would their sore fallopian tubes matter at all as to whether a Gophers head coach is fired or retained? You just stated (accurately, I might add) in another thread that we have to get over our provincialism. You seem to be contradicting yourself here.

They didn't have their feelings hurt and could honestly care less. It matters however when Tubby didn't want to foster a relationship yet when they had a player he wanted, he felt they should help him recruit them. Tubby was fired on speculation of a poor upcoming roster and poor recruiting per our moron of an AD at the time and better relationships maybe could've salvaged him or got him another year, then who knows what happens?

I stand by my provincialism comment, but I also know Tubby's relationship was poor in the state and worse than Richards. I could also care less if we have MN kids or not, I'd like to be good. For those who want to have all these MN kids, relationships matter in recruiting period.

Within the last two months you said that all you care about is making the tournament. Yet, when you debated Pitino's achievements with Tredwell, you dismissed the 2017 tournament appearance by moving the goal posts. Apparently now all you care about is winning tournament games. Well, by your recently adopted standards, Tubby and Pitino have achieved the same level of success in MN. What do you have to say about that? You aren't nearly as slick as you think you are.

Correct, it doesn't say "Jordan Adams is the best player." It says toughest player and most versatile and effective scorer and directly compares him to Shabazz. It also talks about how the team lacked depth and was basically screwed without him, which was my point: we were very fortunate that he was just injured. Pitino was unlucky that Mason hurt his hip in the 2017 tournament game and was dominated by a freshman PG. Anyway, back to Adams vs. Shabazz--what do you think made him a better player? Because if he wasn't a better scorer or tougher player--and we all know he was incredibly selfish and an awful defender--I'm curious to hear your take. If you want more evidence, how about that Adams outperformed Shabazz in basically every single advanced stat category?
Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 12.19.27 AM.png
If you want to ignore all evidence and what the basketball experts were saying at the time of his injury (I read/watched a ton of coverage around that time), then seriously, let's hear what you think made Shabazz a better player. Even if you're too stubborn to admit he wasn't, then you have to admit that Adams was at least a very close second, so the point still stands that we were very lucky that we faced a team with no depth that just lost arguably its best player.

Now that your newest definition of accomplishments is winning tournament games, how do you explain your view that "his accomplishments exceeded the current coach"? Of course he has in his career, but what about in MN? You always avoid that, so I'm asking you multiple times in the same post. This simpleton who graduated from Carleton with honors would like an answer.

They didn't have their feelings hurt and could honestly care less. It matters however when Tubby didn't want to foster a relationship yet when they had a player he wanted, he felt they should help him recruit them. Tubby was fired on speculation of a poor upcoming roster and poor recruiting per our moron of an AD at the time and better relationships maybe could've salvaged him or got him another year, then who knows what happens?

I stand by my provincialism comment, but I also know Tubby's relationship was poor in the state and worse than Richards. I could also care less if we have MN kids or not, I'd like to be good. For those who want to have all these MN kids, relationships matter in recruiting period.
The base was excited for Tubby but it was a soft landing and a headline. UVA almost made the same mistake in hiring him but then some really smart basketball minds spoke and they hired Tony Bennett. It is really hard to find that guy, maybe one every 10 years.

Top Bottom