Gophers lose to a team that did not play an upperclassmen

EG#9

Reaction score
This really destroys yet another excuse for Pitino.

It feels a lot like 2015-2016 all over again. Only Oturu makes it slightly better.

Gophers lose a road game against a power conference team while only playing one upper classmen.

By all means, criticize. Just don't fail to acknowledge everything because it fits your narrative.

Thank God the gophers bb games aren't on tv. What is going to happen once we start playing good teams in the big ten UGh!

Gophers lose a road game against a power conference team while only playing one upper classmen.

By all means, criticize. Just don't fail to acknowledge everything because it fits your narrative.

If we are going to make sure to "acknowledge everything" then lets make sure we also acknowledge that it was against a team picked to finish 9th out of 12 teams in a conference that is pretty universally recognized as being worse than the B1G

It's year 7 of the schit show.

His 40 and 70 big 10 record is going to get worse.

That's the narrative. That's the only narrative there is.

Last edited:

The hole was too deep 5 minutes into the game for this team. That’s also part of the narrative for this team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hole was too deep 5 minutes into the game for this team. That’s also part of the narrative for this team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It apparently wasn't since it was a 2 point game with less than 3 minutes left.

It's year 7 of the schit show.

His 40 and 70 big 10 record is going to get worse.

That's the narrative. That's the only narrative there is.

You must've been really upset when we won a game in the tournament last year.

3 games in 6 days (and the Utah Utahs had a week off). 4 games in 9. The 16-0 hole killed them and yet they came back.

Going to be a very tough season for the team and us fans. I don’t think RP survives.

Thank God the gophers bb games aren't on tv. What is going to happen once we start playing good teams in the big ten UGh!

This game was on TV but it was broadcast on the Pac12 network.

You must've been really upset when we won a game in the tournament last year.

How many more years does that accomplishment earn him? This coach really has led a charmed life and it's astonishing how much better he is regarded by some than his predecessor for poorer results than that coach. Tubby didn't even get the year after his tournament win but, apparently, many feel Pitino should be guaranteed at least two years after his.

How many more years does that accomplishment earn him? This coach really has led a charmed life and it's astonishing how much better he is regarded by some than his predecessor for poorer results than that coach. Tubby didn't even get the year after his tournament win but, apparently, many feel Pitino should be guaranteed at least two years after his.

You are doing the comparison wrong. You are supposed to discount all of Pitino's struggles for either injury issues or something about a learning curve (is this year part of that curve?), but do count all of Tubby's losses against him even when he had injury issues. Once you perform those gymnastics, things look better.

The moment that the AD believes that he is going to be better off blowing it up for three years than he is with the current coach- that's when Pitino will be gone. Despite your concerns and those of others Pitino has a good staff and has the program close to turning the corner. If Coyle doesn't think Pitino can get it done, then he will wait. If he thinks he can't then he will risk losing Mashburn and perhaps others and plan on giving the next coach three years to get his own guys in place. Reality is a little different than what we all wish. Switching coaches is a tough transition.

This team will be fine, just need some offensive cohesion. They defend well and only had five turnovers last night, forced sixteen all recipes of a well coached team. Carr going 2/8 at the line ****ed us. He shoots his career percentage we win

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The moment that the AD believes that he is going to be better off blowing it up for three years than he is with the current coach- that's when Pitino will be gone. Despite your concerns and those of others Pitino has a good staff and has the program close to turning the corner. If Coyle doesn't think Pitino can get it done, then he will wait. If he thinks he can't then he will risk losing Mashburn and perhaps others and plan on giving the next coach three years to get his own guys in place. Reality is a little different than what we all wish. Switching coaches is a tough transition.

This is based on wishful thinking and not by evidence. This is year 7, and our roster is a disaster that appears to be heading to a 5-7 win B10 season and 11th place finish. I'd say there's a 73% chance this is Lil' Ricky's final year.

I think the difference now is expectations. Even at the end of Tubby's reign I think people felt this program could be a perennial top half of the Big Ten with a chance every few years to be top 3. I don't think over all people believe that anymore so Pitino's accomplishments are looked on more favorably than Tubby although statistically and analytically it is hard to make that case.

Those recruits will be released later this year when Pitino is fired. Demir is not Big Ten caliber. It's going to be a long year.

This is based on wishful thinking and not by evidence. This is year 7, and our roster is a disaster that appears to be heading to a 5-7 win B10 season and 11th place finish. I'd say there's a 73% chance this is Lil' Ricky's final year.
Yeah no he has two top 150 recruits and 4/5 of his starting five back. The big ten is also garbage this year, have you watch, Iowa?, Nebraska? Rutgers, NW? Even Illinois? Wisconsin got dummied by a team who lost to Winthrop.

I think the difference now is expectations. Even at the end of Tubby's reign I think people felt this program could be a perennial top half of the Big Ten with a chance every few years to be top 3. I don't think over all people believe that anymore so Pitino's accomplishments are looked on more favorably than Tubby although statistically and analytically it is hard to make that case.

That's a fair argument and I buy that but we used to think that reasonably frequent 8-4 seasons with maybe a very occasional 9-3 was the best this program could do in football. This year we have found out that we can be better than our previous expectations. I do wonder why that elevated sense of the possible hasn't seemed to permeate the thinking about the basketball program but I suspect the more pessimistic thinking will continue if the coaching regime stays the same.

Honestly, I don't really care that much if top 3 conference finishes are a very rare thing for this basketball program. What I can't stand is that every other year seems to be a crappy year under this coach. If this coach could generate two NCAA appearances, two NIT appearances, and one bad year with no postseason over a five year period, that would be a significant improvement over what he has shown to date.

Yeah no he has two top 150 recruits and 4/5 of his starting five back. The big ten is also garbage this year, have you watch, Iowa?, Nebraska? Rutgers, NW? Even Illinois? Wisconsin got dummied by a team who lost to Winthrop.

I think you are waaaay wrong about Illinois.

Northwestern, a virtually unanimous last place preseason conference pick, has managed to do something this season we have failed to do in three tries: beat a power conference opponent.

Northwestern, a virtually unanimous last place preseason conference pick, has managed to do something this season we have failed to do in three tries: beat a power conference opponent.
They also lost to Merrimack,

That's a fair argument and I buy that but we used to think that reasonably frequent 8-4 seasons with maybe a very occasional 9-3 was the best this program could do in football. This year we have found out that we can be better than our previous expectations. I do wonder why that elevated sense of the possible hasn't seemed to permeate the thinking about the basketball program but I suspect the more pessimistic thinking will continue if the coaching regime stays the same.

Honestly, I don't really care that much if top 3 conference finishes are a very rare thing for this basketball program. What I can't stand is that every other year seems to be a crappy year under this coach. If this coach could generate two NCAA appearances, two NIT appearances, and one bad year with no postseason over a five year period, that would be a significant improvement over what he has shown to date.
Way to early to determine this a crappy year. It sucks that they lost these game, but two road loses and neutral sister and the games were close. If we start losing to CMU, UND and FIU than yeah time to panic, but the issues on this team are very fixable, especially as they continue to build more cohesion. This is probably the best defensive team Pitino has had and that will keep them in alot of games. Last night was the type of game where they're folded the tent in the past, these guys battled and have clearly not quit on the staff.

It's always next year isn't it? Oturu will likely declare next year and they will be worse. If your honest, it's apparent only Rutgers, NW, and NE have worse rosters than the Gophers. Including WI, Illini, IA as garbage. R U kidding me?

I look forward to the days when we can once again have a basketball coach who earned the position based on merit, rather than one whose sole virtue is being born to the right father.

Top Bottom