***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT UTAH IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Good year to grow and learn for our young kids.
With next year's kids coming in, we are going to be good. Just maybe not this year.

Next years team will be good, everybody coming back (that can play basketball) with two players that will contribute right away. That German kid is huge. I also like Carr a lot more than some folks on here I think the kid can ball, can't shoot free throws but he can ball.

Marcus Carr wore goggles on the Summer circuit. I honestly wonder if need to go back to them. He's below 50% from the free throw line...

Gophers wasted yet another incredible effort from Daniel Oturu. Kind of hard to lose 3 games in a row in which you have the best player on the floor, but Pitino managed to do it.

Also for those who bizarrely thing recruiting doesn't matter, Oturu is the best player on the team and was a top 50ish player (from Minnesota!). There was 2 of those guys in the 2019 class and 3 more in the 2020 class. Next week we find out if Pitino goes 0-5 out of that group. Not losing Garcia is the only thing that could possibly save him now.

Next years team will be good, everybody coming back (that can play basketball) with two players that will contribute right away. That German kid is huge. I also like Carr a lot more than some folks on here I think the kid can ball, can't shoot free throws but he can ball.
Carr will get better. He's just not a good point guard, yet.

Next years team will be good, everybody coming back (that can play basketball) with two players that will contribute right away.

If Daniel keeps playing the way he has and the others keep playing the way they have, his entering the draft is almost certain. In that case, he would be a fool to stay around for his junior year.

Next year's team will be talented. I'm not convinced they'll be good.

Marcus Carr wore goggles on the Summer circuit. I honestly wonder if need to go back to them. He's below 50% from the free throw line...

Gophers wasted yet another incredible effort from Daniel Oturu. Kind of hard to lose 3 games in a row in which you have the best player on the floor, but Pitino managed to do it.

Also for those who bizarrely thing recruiting doesn't matter, Oturu is the best player on the team and was a top 50ish player (from Minnesota!). There was 2 of those guys in the 2019 class and 3 more in the 2020 class. Next week we find out if Pitino goes 0-5 out of that group. Not losing Garcia is the only thing that could possibly save him now.

Their disinclination to get the ball to Oturu for much of the second half will lose me some sleep tonight. Besides just the general crappiness of their offensive play, that particular aspect of it has me pretty upset.

Their disinclination to get the ball to Oturu for much of the second half will lose me some sleep tonight. Besides just the general crappiness of their offensive play, that particular aspect of it has me pretty upset.

I honestly thought he'd gotten hurt or sick at half time again. Inexplicable.

Also Coffey was the reason Mn went to the tournament two of the past three years, he would have been a top 40 recruit before his injury in his senior season. But nah recruiting top Mn kids doesn't matter. Agree Garcia is the only thing that could save him the way things are looking, even then I think Garcia might stay with a coaching change if he were to choose Mn.

This. Utah and Butler are not good.
I like the way Butler plays defense, but neither team has great talent.
I think Butler will be alright. Baldwin is a gamer.
Butler played solid defense. They aren't bottom dwellers. Utah isn't as good, but they didn't miss for the first ten minutes of the game.
At present our point guard is struggling and we are weak on the boards. We'll take our lumps this year. Losing Demir and Hurt will be addition by subtraction when our new recruits come in.
It's become quickly evident that this year is a growing year with a high learning curve. However, we have better athletes in the program than we have had in the Pitino era so far. The future is better than the past.

We need to move on from Pitino, hasn't recruited or developed talent well enough. You win with Jim's and Joe's not x's and o's and for those who dont think that, you are fools. The football team is winning because guys like Bateman, or transfers from FL MI Notre Dame. It is no sure thing we get a better coach, but accepting mediocrity is not what we should do either.

Butler played solid defense. They aren't bottom dwellers. Utah isn't as good, but they didn't miss for the first ten minutes of the game.
At present our point guard is struggling and we are weak on the boards. We'll take our lumps this year. Losing Demir and Hurt will be addition by subtraction when our new recruits come in.
It's become quickly evident that this year is a growing year with a high learning curve. However, we have better athletes in the program than we have had in the Pitino era so far. The future is better than the past.

I tend to agree with you. Under this line of thinking, Ihnen, Greenlee, Williams and Freeman should be getting a lot more playing time. I don’t really care how “raw” they are at this point. The Carr and Willis experiment sure doesn’t look like the answer. I’m probably jumping the gun on that assessment, but I’m pretty bummed right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did Ihnen look? How many minutes did he get?

How did Ihnen look? How many minutes did he get?

Made one three. Grabbed one board. Didn't play much. Certainly appears better than Demir or Hurt or Omersa.

If Oturu stays and we get a good PF signed (not necessarily Garcia) to fill out the 2020 class then Pitino absolutely should get the chance to develop his young players.

But I'm gonna be honest... if we lose Oturu we are completely ****ed

If Oturu stays and we get a good PF signed (not necessarily Garcia) to fill out the 2020 class then Pitino absolutely should get the chance to develop his young players.

But I'm gonna be honest... if we lose Oturu we are completely ****ed

If this turns out to be another “growth” year that would be 6 out of 7 double digit conference loss seasons.

He would deserve a chance to develop his younger players. At a different school.

If this turns out to be another “growth” year that would be 6 out of 7 double digit conference loss seasons.

He would deserve a chance to develop his younger players. At a different school.

Not you again. Scools you might be the biggest Pitino hater on the forum. His recruiting has gotten better every year he's been here and if we hit on Garcia it'd be the best class in decades. We have the youngest team in the Big Ten. We lost our best player - a B1G first team talent in Coffey who could play positions 1-4. And Curry just got re-injured to make the glaring hole at PF much much worse.

I'm not saying Pitino is perfect, but bringing in a new coach right now with how young our team is won't fix anything. We could be a very good team next season. If it doesn't work next year, then yes we should look at a new hire to take our program in a different direction.

Not you again. Scools you might be the biggest Pitino hater on the forum. His recruiting has gotten better every year he's been here and if we hit on Garcia it'd be the best class in decades. We have the youngest team in the Big Ten. We lost our best player - a B1G first team talent in Coffey who could play positions 1-4. And Curry just got re-injured to make the glaring hole at PF much much worse.

I'm not saying Pitino is perfect, but bringing in a new coach right now with how young our team is won't fix anything. We could be a very good team next season. If it doesn't work next year, then yes we should look at a new hire to take our program in a different direction.

Pitino’s record indicates he is not the recruiter his fan club thinks or wants everyone to believe he is.

Don’t worry he will still be around next season with a chance to go for 7 out of 8 double digit conference loss seasons.

I didn't see the game but holding the opposition to 53% fg and 43% 3pt percentages is a bit ominous, not many wins out there with those kinds of numbers.

On the bright side it looked like Williams contributed, that will be important down the road, hopefully Ihnen will start to show some numbers also.

Last edited:

Pitino’s record indicates he is not the recruiter his fan club thinks or wants everyone to believe he is.

Yes, that is true but no matter how many times you point that out his fan club won't accept that conclusion. They refuse to admit the simple truth that a student who earns an A, two Bs, and two Ds is not an "A" student.

Pitino's recruiting has been infinitely better than Tubby's....just saying.

I think Richard is a pretty good recruiter considering he doesn't have much in the way of on-court success, player development, or apparent coaching acumen to sell. When you ask players why they sign here, it's usually the vague "style of play" or whatever that the coaches are selling. Meanwhile, I'll still give anyone here credit if they can identify a style of play that this team plays, especially on offense. Pick-and-roll isn't a correct answer to that question when the point guard practically never passes to open rollers. What I see is a Saturday afternoon pick-up offense. If what they're drawing up is more sophisticated than that, I have to ask why the players aren't running it.

His recruiting has gotten better every year he's been here and if we hit on Garcia it'd be the best class in decades.

The first statement is false. His best debut class was Lynch, Coffey, Akeem Springs, and Curry (it also included Hurt but 4 hits and 1 miss is pretty good). On the current team, only Oturu is in the class of those first two players and Springs is better than most of this team. Curry's health situation was just unfortunate. Since that group, we have seen one well above average Big Ten player recruited (Oturu), one-to-three average conference players (Gabe and maybe Carr and Willis), and one decent role player (Matz). The rest have been projects who didn't work out or may or may not work out. It's too early to tell about the current freshmen.

As far as the statements about Coffey and Curry, well, good players often go pro early and injuries, even chronic ones, happen. You have to recruit to compensate for those contingencies.

The last statement is nauseatingly defeatist. I'm glad the administration decided to be more aspirational in thinking when they fired Claeys and hired Fleck. Those kinds of moves won't always work out but you won't know unless you try.

After this season, Pitino will have been here 7 years. We will know what we have just like Nebraska knew what they had when they fired Tim Miles. They decided to hire a star coach to upgrade their program. They are starting out in a worse position than us (virtually an all new team assembled from whatever was available when Fred was hired) and it showed in their first two games but we'll see how much they improve relative to us this season.

I'm just curious - did anyone here actually SEE the game. I listened and followed the live stats, which btw were not synced.

I'm just curious - did anyone here actually SEE the game. I listened and followed the live stats, which btw were not synced.

The game was on the Pac12 network. I watched about the last 10 minutes of it after coming home.

I think Richard is a pretty good recruiter considering he doesn't have much in the way of on-court success, player development, or apparent coaching acumen to sell.

Well, since you put it that way, I guess you're right.

I watched the whole thing. I'm not just saying this: even though they scored plenty of points, it was one of the worst displays of offensive basketball I've seen. It was total scramble ball on most trips down the court. Which, I guess, is potential hope for the future: if they can score points in that mess of an offense, it must mean they have some talent.

Top Bottom