PFF ranks the Big Ten's best NFL Draft prospects (#10. Winfield Jr, #5. Johnson)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hellman:

Over at Pro Football Focus, the Big Ten represents 14 percent of the best 100 NFL Draft prospects in the country. For the top 10, we take a deeper look below...

10. MINNESOTA DB ANTOINE WINFIELD

At No. 77 overall, Winfeld’s stock only rises after what we saw in the upset over Penn State. Winfield led the Gophers with 11 tackles against Penn State last week, and he picked off two passes from Sean Clifford in the process. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder has been a star for PJ Fleck all season with a team-high 57 tackles. His seven interceptions rank second nationally. No other Big Ten player has more than three.

5. MINNESOTA WR TYLER JOHNSON

Johnson ranks at 31 overall in what is a very deep wide receiver class. He was the top returning receiver in the conference statistically and is on pace to break his numbers from last season with coach PJ Fleck in the Kirk Ciarrocca offense. Johnson has 730 yards and eight touchdowns this season, and needs just 283 yards and two touchdowns to join the 3,000-yard, 30-touchdown club in his career. He caught seven balls for 104 yards and a touchdown last week against Penn State.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ffrey-Okudah-Michigan--138552548/#138552548_6

Go Gophers!!

per Hellman:

Over at Pro Football Focus, the Big Ten represents 14 percent of the best 100 NFL Draft prospects in the country. For the top 10, we take a deeper look below...

10. MINNESOTA DB ANTOINE WINFIELD

At No. 77 overall, Winfeld’s stock only rises after what we saw in the upset over Penn State. Winfield led the Gophers with 11 tackles against Penn State last week, and he picked off two passes from Sean Clifford in the process. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder has been a star for PJ Fleck all season with a team-high 57 tackles. His seven interceptions rank second nationally. No other Big Ten player has more than three.

5. MINNESOTA WR TYLER JOHNSON

Johnson ranks at 31 overall in what is a very deep wide receiver class. He was the top returning receiver in the conference statistically and is on pace to break his numbers from last season with coach PJ Fleck in the Kirk Ciarrocca offense. Johnson has 730 yards and eight touchdowns this season, and needs just 283 yards and two touchdowns to join the 3,000-yard, 30-touchdown club in his career. He caught seven balls for 104 yards and a touchdown last week against Penn State.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ffrey-Okudah-Michigan--138552548/#138552548_6

Go Gophers!!

I would love to see 3-4 guys get drafted out of this class with Winfield playing one more season for us.

Seeing more Gophers names called at the draft should continue to boost our recruiting.

Does anyone know if Antoine is planning on going to the NFL next season? Might he stay in school and play for the Gophers?

Does anyone know if Antoine is planning on going to the NFL next season? Might he stay in school and play for the Gophers?

I'm sure we will find out more in a few weeks. Probably will be one of the major topics here once we get through the Big Ten Championship.

Have to think Kamal Martin and Carter Coughlin will test well (if invited to the Combine) and be drafted as well.

I don't know the answer, but he's been in college for four years and lost significant parts of two years to injury. He's been playing at a spectaular level and it's hard to see how he raises his stock much higher than it is now. As a fan, I'd love for him to stay. Given his father's NFL success he can probably afford to stay in school if he wants to do that, but if I was his "advisor," I'd recommend that he move on.

I would love to see 3-4 guys get drafted out of this class with Winfield playing one more season for us.

Seeing more Gophers names called at the draft should continue to boost our recruiting.

I would be very surprised to see Winfield back with the Gophers next year. Of course I would LOVE to see him back but he is most likely playing in the NFL next year. And I am ok with that - he is that good. We will miss him even more than WR Johnson. He just somehow makes big plays at the biggest time. There are times he is out there when I swear it is one of the Vikings sneaking into a Gopher uniform for the game.

I don't know the answer, but he's been in college for four years and lost significant parts of two years to injury. He's been playing at a spectaular level and it's hard to see how he raises his stock much higher than it is now. As a fan, I'd love for him to stay. Given his father's NFL success he can probably afford to stay in school if he wants to do that, but if I was his "advisor," I'd recommend that he move on.

I think he'll leave for the NFL, and that's a good thing. Getting more players drafted leads to better recruiting.

I would be very surprised to see Winfield back with the Gophers next year. Of course I would LOVE to see him back but he is most likely playing in the NFL next year. And I am ok with that - he is that good. We will miss him even more than WR Johnson. He just somehow makes big plays at the biggest time. There are times he is out there when I swear it is one of the Vikings sneaking into a Gopher uniform for the game.

I also think he'll declare, I'm just trying to be optimistic until we hear more.

Wouldn't it be something if four or five Gophers get drafted? I wonder what the discussion was about when Antoine Winfield went ovet to PJ fleck's house?

Antoine will strike while the iron is still hot. I don't blame him a bit. On the other hand, him staying an extra year like Tyler Johnson did will bring a huge dividend for the Gophers.

Johnson reportedly lacks impressive speed-- 40 yds or top end-- so I wonder a little about him ranked no. 5. On the other hand Larry Fitzgerald lacked burner speed (though he did win Minnesota state 100 meters in 10.7 or so) but has none the less been outstanding in the NFL, so maybe so.

Johnson reportedly lacks impressive speed-- 40 yds or top end-- so I wonder a little about him ranked no. 5. On the other hand Larry Fitzgerald lacked burner speed (though he did win Minnesota state 100 meters in 10.7 or so) but has none the less been outstanding in the NFL, so maybe so.

Johnson will be fine, though he won't be a first rounder in a stacked draft class

I think he'll test very similarly to another WR who is now considered a top tier player

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-thomas?id=2555347

Top Bottom