How 'zany' P.J. Fleck has led a Minnesota turnaround, with Iowa up next

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Des Moines Register:

Fleck 'knows that he's a little zany,' but it works

Fleck has reached out to former Gopher stars, inviting them to come back and support the current team. Remarkably, it’s worked. Grimm said he had never seen so many previous players show up as there were last Saturday.

“It’s a fractured alumni base, and some people still have their feelings hurt (from when the coach they played for got fired),” Grimm said. “Fleck is trying to put it all aside.”

Grimm said there’s an impression out there that Fleck is not self-aware, that he doesn’t realize he’s being mocked in some corners. That’s not true, Grimm said.

“P.J. knows that he’s kind of weird. He knows that he’s a little zany,” Grimm said. “Some people think he’s some cartoon character that’s just this puppet, and he’s pumping out slogans that have no substance behind them. But that’s not the case. What you see is what you get. It’s real, and it’s happening.

“It’s also a lot easier to buy in when stuff’s going the way it’s going right now.”

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...k-leads-minnesota-kinnick-stadium/4190098002/

Go Gophers!!

Do we know which alumni showed up? I heard Decker and Bobby Bell mentioned. Who else?

Do we know which alumni showed up? I heard Decker and Bobby Bell mentioned. Who else?
Members of the 1999 team were introduced during a break. From what I saw, well over a dozen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Did he give Sean Clifford some pointers on bounce passes prior to kickoff?

Know you're trying to be funny, but, come on. Weber took a lot of crap here but he's someone who probably has a right to feel that if he had gone to a different school, he might be an NFL QB still. Had very little stability in the coaches while here. Also, he shows up to support the Gophers and who knows what that stronger connection might lead to when recruiting some kid in the future. I think it's great that PJ is reaching out to former Gophers. Can only help and like Grimm says, “It’s also a lot easier to buy in when stuff’s going the way it’s going right now.”

Know you're trying to be funny, but, come on. Weber took a lot of crap here but he's someone who probably has a right to feel that if he had gone to a different school, he might be an NFL QB still. Had very little stability in the coaches while here. Also, he shows up to support the Gophers and who knows what that stronger connection might lead to when recruiting some kid in the future. I think it's great that PJ is reaching out to former Gophers. Can only help and like Grimm says, “It’s also a lot easier to buy in when stuff’s going the way it’s going right now.”

Agree. Weber was the biggest missed opportunity we ever had. Just imagine the player he could have become if he had an actual solid QB coach instead of one who demanded he throw tennis balls instead of actual footballs.

I would say Weber and Decker would be almost as good as Morgan and Bateman! :cool:

Totally agree. Weber was a warrior that put up with a lot. Glad to see him still involved with the Gophers.

Did Weber play for four or five offensive coordinators in his 5 years at the U? He had a really nice year throwing the football for a very bad team in 2007. Like others have said, it would have been nice to see him play his whole career within a stable program.

Good grief, people are sensitive about Weber. He was a good QB for us on some bad teams. But he also had a penchant for hitting guys in the feet, like Sean Clifford did in this game. It was a joke. Lighten up. People should know by now that 98% of what I post on here is not meant to be taken seriously.

QB-bashing is the sport of champions; always has been. All teams, all fan bases. It's always:

— The QB's fault, or...

— Bad offensive play-calling, or...

— Didn't throw to the tight end enough.

If you criticize any aspect of your team, you don't deserve to be a fan or be allowed to even watch them on TV!

If you criticize any aspect of your team, you don't deserve to be a fan or be allowed to even watch them on TV!

Yeah, because the players and coaches read the site...

Criticizing something that you don’t have any influence on is a fool’s errand.

There are three tough games left, but what you notice about the Gophers this year is how they play as a team. There are individual standouts - and they make big plays we have rarely seen in recent years, especially in the passing game, but overall they are part of a well-oiled machine that works together, doesn't make many mistakes (remember all the procedure calls we used to have?) and puts the team ahead of the individual. National commentators usually remark on how well-coached the TEAM is. The team doesn't give up, it comes from behind, it wins in overtime and it has gotten progressively better as the season has gone on. This is PJ's coaching style and his ability to create a tight-knit team. You don't see this in Nebraska this year, to give an example, where stars are more important than the team (but wouldn't it be great if they upset Wisconsin Saturday, put it all together in one big team effort?). Go Gophers, beat Iowa, bring bacon back where it belongs, end the Iowa City victory drought!

Agree. Weber was the biggest missed opportunity we ever had. Just imagine the player he could have become if he had an actual solid QB coach instead of one who demanded he throw tennis balls instead of actual footballs.

Hahaha. Explain?

Going into his senior year, he had the highest completion percentage in Gophers history. He still finished tied for second highest completion percentage.

Going into his senior year, he had the highest completion percentage in Gophers history. He still finished tied for second highest completion percentage.

Complimenting Adam Weber's status among Gophers QBs is like complimenting the thinnest coed at a wisconsin keg party. She's still over 300 lbs.

Complimenting Adam Weber's status among Gophers QBs is like complimenting the thinnest coed at a wisconsin keg party. She's still over 300 lbs.

Apt comparison. Not a lot of good modern QBs in our history.

Yeah, Weber had some serious volume stats, but he certainly wasn't a good Big Ten QB. The fact he barely got any time as a practice squad arm in the NFL with a prototypical QB frame is proof of that.

Yeah, Weber had some serious volume stats, but <b>he certainly wasn't a good Big Ten QB. </b>The fact he barely got any time as a practice squad arm in the NFL with a prototypical QB frame is proof of that.

I’ve been down this road before. You are likely 5-10 minutes away from having his “total yards” stat raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are three tough games left, but what you notice about the Gophers this year is how they play as a team. There are individual standouts - and they make big plays we have rarely seen in recent years, especially in the passing game, but overall they are part of a well-oiled machine that works together, doesn't make many mistakes (remember all the procedure calls we used to have?) and puts the team ahead of the individual. National commentators usually remark on how well-coached the TEAM is. The team doesn't give up, it comes from behind, it wins in overtime and it has gotten progressively better as the season has gone on. This is PJ's coaching style and his ability to create a tight-knit team. You don't see this in Nebraska this year, to give an example, where stars are more important than the team (but wouldn't it be great if they upset Wisconsin Saturday, put it all together in one big team effort?). Go Gophers, beat Iowa, bring bacon back where it belongs, end the Iowa City victory drought!

Amen!

Ron Johnson, Barber Sr., the Huff twins were there I saw them after the game waiting outside the locker room, Tony Dungy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Ain’t a lady unless she’s 280”, isn’t that what they say in Badger country?

Top Bottom