Sid: One of the unsung heroes of the undefeated Gophers is Seth Green

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Green running wild

One of the unsung heroes of the undefeated Gophers squad is wildcat quarterback Seth Green, who has rushed nine times for 40 yards and three touchdowns over the past two games after totaling 12 carries for 15 yards in the first seven games of the season.

Green got the game-winning touchdown in the Gophers’ 31-26 win over Penn State on a 1-yard rush with 14 minutes, 11 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Green does a bit of everything for the Gophers, and he said he likes the role that he fills.

“I would say playing multiple positions has definitely been an honor, especially on this team — just doing whatever the team and coaches need me to week to week is something I enjoy and appreciate,” he said. “Getting out there and playing and doing everything I can to help me and my brothers win is something I have enjoyed and helped me grow a lot as a football player here at the University of Minnesota.”

Green rushed 76 times for 282 yards and eight scores last year, and though his rushing numbers are down, he still has five scores this season.

“We hadn’t really used the wildcat as much in the beginning of this season,” Green said. “The offense was running well, the running backs, the O-line was playing really well, there wasn’t ever really a need for it.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to make a difference in the game so I do appreciate that. I do enjoy it a lot as well, the wildcat stuff, just going out there in short-yardage situations and getting the first downs or the goal line touchdown is something I enjoy. I have a good time with it.”

Green, a Woodbury native, left East Ridge to play his senior season at Allen High School in Texas after his father took a job in the state.

He said that competition prepared him for college.

“Besides the weather in Texas, I would just say a lot more people take it seriously year-round,” he said. “That just raises the level of competition, which is something I appreciated and helped me transition from high school to college.”

But when Green, a redshirt junior, got a chance to come back and play in Minnesota he was excited about not only coming home but getting to play with the 2016 recruiting class — which includes such players as Antoine Winfield Jr., Carter Coughlin, Thomas Barber, Conner Olson, Sam Schlueter and Tyler Johnson.

“Moving to Texas was a decision I made to stay with my family, we moved down there for my father’s job,” Green said. “And then coming back up here for school, I loved the area, the school, the program, all of the things that come with it. … Me and my teammates, I will be close friends with them forever.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-safety-anthony-harris-ranks-among-nfl-s-best/564955392/

Go Gophers!!

Seth Green is just about unstoppable on short yardage situations. We have never had this before - few have. And you know a throw to Tanner Morgan for big yardage is going to be wide open at some point. But why bother getting cute when a ram up the middle is just about a sure thing?

Seth has been a key component. I'm thankful we found a way to use him, and that he stuck it out with us after the event that shall go without mentioning. Let's keep the Green Line going!

Seth has been a key component. I'm thankful we found a way to use him, and that he stuck it out with us after the event that shall go without mentioning. Let's keep the Green Line going!

Hear hear, and let's bring two more Green boys on board in 2021.

Top Bottom