STrib: Bigger dream for Gophers fans: Rose Bowl return or College Football Playoff?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

In 2011, St. Peter, Minn., native Kurt Hildebrandt traveled to see the Gophers play USC at the L.A. Coliseum, a good 15 miles and at least a half-hour drive from the Rose Bowl.

Now 53, Hildebrandt figured that might be the closest he or his beloved Gophers would ever come to the “Granddaddy of Them All” — at least in his lifetime.

“I thought, ‘Well, this is maybe my chance,’ ” Hildebrandt said. “ ‘This is going to have to do in case something happens to me before they do get there.’ ”

Hildebrandt isn’t the only longtime Gophers football fan to feel that way. But in one of the greatest plot twists in Minnesota sports history, the Gophers are good. And not just that: They’re on track to make their first Rose Bowl since 1962.

The No. 8 Gophers (9-0) have three regular-season games left, including Saturday at No. 20 Iowa, with a two-game West Division lead. Going 3-0 or even 2-1 would seal a trip to the Big Ten title game — and quite possibly the Rose Bowl. Two losses could pit Minnesota against Michigan, Penn State and possibly Wisconsin, though the Gophers beat Penn State, which beat Michigan. The Gophers face Wisconsin in the regular-season finale.

Also on Minnesota’s side: TV ratings. ABC’s broadcast of the Gophers’ 31-26 win against Penn State last weekend was the network’s highest noontime audience in nearly three seasons, with an average of more than 6.7 million viewers. Bowl executives rely on data like that to determine the excitement level within each fan base.

http://www.startribune.com/bigger-d...eturn-or-college-football-playoffs/564962602/

Go Gophers!!

There will be some disappointed fans if the Gophers, hypothetically speaking, fall short in the CCG and have to "settle" for playing in Pasadena. You have to be completely bonkers if they are in the CFP and would rather see them in the Rose Bowl instead.

Last edited:

No disappointment here. Want them to go as far as possible but right now at the worst we'll be in Florida on New Year's Day.

Have to beat I-O-W-A first.

Lol! That’s me in the lede paragraph. Had a great chat with Megan for this story. One thing I told her that didn’t get mentioned was that I thought that getting to CFP would be elite...and the Rose Bowl would be elite-ish. I definitely would rather see Gophers in CFP, but Rose Bowl would be one helluva “consolation” prize!

I'm old enough that the Rose Bowl, at least in my perception, is still the “Granddaddy of Them All”. I know it's totally illogical to want to go to the Rose Bowl ahead of the CFP, but I can't break that feeling. It's tough to change a opinion that you have held as true for 40+ years. Not to mention the fact that while I love this team and what they are doing, I just don't see them on the same level as LSU, Clemson, Ohio St., etc. and I would rather finish the season with a Rose Bowl win over a CFP semi-final loss.

If we are playing in Pasadena on Jan 1, I will do everything in my powers to be in the stadium at kickoff. If we somehow get to the CFP, my interest in making the trip is much lower. I would probably go if they get in the Fiesta Bowl because I have relatives in Phoenix and it would be budget friendly. But if they are in Atlanta, I'll probably stay home and cheer from here.

Lol! That’s me in the lede paragraph. Had a great chat with Megan for this story. One thing I told her that didn’t get mentioned was that I thought that getting to CFP would be elite...and the Rose Bowl would be elite-ish. I definitely would rather see Gophers in CFP, but Rose Bowl would be one helluva “consolation” prize!

Nice work Back2Campus Guy!

Go Gophers!!

It's silly, but if the Gophers go to the CFP I'll be happier, but there's no way I'll go to the game. Now, if they go to the Rose Bowl, I'll pretty much guarantee I'm buying tickets for my son and father.

Rose Bowl. We will go wherever the team plays and love it. Go Gophers!!

I'm old enough that the Rose Bowl, at least in my perception, is still the “Granddaddy of Them All”. I know it's totally illogical to want to go to the Rose Bowl ahead of the CFP, but I can't break that feeling. It's tough to change a opinion that you have held as true for 40+ years. Not to mention the fact that while I love this team and what they are doing, I just don't see them on the same level as LSU, Clemson, Ohio St., etc. and I would rather finish the season with a Rose Bowl win over a CFP semi-final loss.

If we are playing in Pasadena on Jan 1, I will do everything in my powers to be in the stadium at kickoff. If we somehow get to the CFP, my interest in making the trip is much lower. I would probably go if they get in the Fiesta Bowl because I have relatives in Phoenix and it would be budget friendly. But if they are in Atlanta, I'll probably stay home and cheer from here.

Get your completely reasonable opinions out of here.

I completely understand the nostalgia factor here, but if we made the playoff it would mean that we beat OSU, so we could absolutely compete with any of those upper-tier teams.

I completely understand the nostalgia factor here, but if we made the playoff it would mean that we beat OSU, so we could absolutely compete with any of those upper-tier teams.

That's the thing.

It's easy to put on paper, and tough to do.

It's like saying "yeah, if the Gophers win the national championship, then we know for sure that they can compete for a national championship!".

I think until we play that Ohio State game, we're not going to have a good idea.

It would also mean that we add another B1G championship. Bama and LSU are great teams, but wanting to forgo an opportunity to challenge them for a national title is absurd to me.

Concur.

It would also mean that we add another B1G championship. Bama and LSU are great teams, but wanting to forgo an opportunity to challenge them for a national title is absurd to me.

I want to forgo it, if we would get blown out 42-0.

I want to do it, if we would compete with them and have a good chance to win.

Which is correct? And can we really have any clue, until we play Ohio State? (correct answer: no)

Which is correct? And can we really have any clue, until we play Ohio State? (correct answer: no)

The point is that it'll sort itself out. We won't make it if we don't beat OSU. If we make it, it's because we're deserving. If we don't, we aren't quite there yet. If we do make it, there shouldn't be anyone on here complaining that we're going to get blown out.

An interesting side note, if we beat OSU we would be #2 at minimum. That would likely line us up with Clemson, who is likely the most unproven of the bunch.

What a wonderful dilemma!

The CFP is something new. For an old fart like me that remembers, it was all about the Rose Bowl. You know, back in the days when the few bowls there were, were really special. The creme de la creme, no 6 wins get you a bowl.

Now? Emotionally, I'm attached to the Rose Bowl because I've had an extra 40 years to dream of Roses. Anyone remember the Salem billboards with the rose clenched in his teeth? I really thought 2003 would be the year, but after that...

Really--I'm good either way. Row the Boat. Ski-u-mah. Go Gophers!

The point is that it'll sort itself out. We won't make it if we don't beat OSU. If we make it, it's because we're deserving. If we don't, we aren't quite there yet. If we do make it, there shouldn't be anyone on here complaining that we're going to get blown out.

An interesting side note, if we beat OSU we would be #2 at minimum. That would likely line us up with Clemson, who is likely the most unproven of the bunch.

Yes absolutely, it will sort itself out .... after the Ohio State game.

But people here want to discuss it now, and make bold proclamations about which is "better" now.

What an incredible season. I don't see any possible way Minnesota slips past the Outback Bowl -- a NYD bowl game we've never played in! BUt right now the goals are MUCH higher and it's amazing.

It's ludicrous how surreal this year has been. I'm absolutely and without a doubt going to whatever bowl game MN ends up in: CFP, Rose, Citrus, or Outback. I also already have my tickets for the B1G championship. I'm also going to Iowa City this week and NW next week. Soak up every moment you can of this historic year!

I think it is really silly to not want the CFP birth.

It's silly, but if the Gophers go to the CFP I'll be happier, but there's no way I'll go to the game. Now, if they go to the Rose Bowl, I'll pretty much guarantee I'm buying tickets for my son and father.

Me too. I think a lot of Gophs fans would say the same.

What an incredible season. I don't see any possible way Minnesota slips past the Outback Bowl -- a NYD bowl game we've never played in! BUt right now the goals are MUCH higher and it's amazing.

It's ludicrous how surreal this year has been. I'm absolutely and without a doubt going to whatever bowl game MN ends up in: CFP, Rose, Citrus, or Outback. I also already have my tickets for the B1G championship. I'm also going to Iowa City this week and NW next week. Soak up every moment you can of this historic year!

I take it you're one of those lukewarm Gopher fans.

I vote for the Rose Bowl and think that is far likelier than going 13-0 and beating OSU in the championship. Playing with the likes of Alabama and Clemson (and now LSU) is playing with fire. I'd sooner see the Buckeyes "get burned" than the Gophers. We'd have a fighting chance, perhaps, vs. Oregon and a Rose appearance--even a respectable, close loss-- would be better for recruiting than a crushing loss in the CFP.

Fleck competed against UW in a BCS bowl with WMU.
His Minnesota team isn't going to get blown out by any other team at the college level (I think).
They're definitely talented enough to compete, but it might be a 1/5 proposition (which is still worth watching if you ask me).

As for the broader conversation...
The Rose Bowl's allure was that it was the biggest bowl game. It decided national champions, and only conference champions could attend.

Now, in years when it doesn't host the CFP, it's for runners-up. Teams that couldn't make that last cut. It's not what it used to be.

If you gave me a button that sent Fleck and his Gophers down to the Sugar Bowl to take on Coach O's 'tigahs' at home to decide the national championship, I'm hitting that button, and I'm going to that game 10/10 times.

History is made.
If the Gophers were the first-ever team from the B1G West to go to the CFP, before Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska... you all should want to be there.
The Gophers didn't get to go to a Rose Bowl for 50 years of its relevance. The saddest outcome to me is if people are on this board talking about having never been to the CFP in 2070.

Last edited:

HW, I have no problem with your opinion. I think you made a well written and thoughtful post.

I take issue with those on here who want to pretend your opinion is already “correct” and anyone who doesn’t share it right now is false and not worthy of being a fan. There are those on here who think like that.

The real correct answer, as of now, is “we’ll see”.

HW, I have no problem with your opinion. I think you made a well written and thoughtful post.

I take issue with those on here who want to pretend your opinion is already “correct” and anyone who doesn’t share it right now is false and not worthy of being a fan. There are those on here who think like that.

The real correct answer, as of now, is “we’ll see”.

Are we reading the same thread?

I would rather sit in the sterile Mercedes Dome or whatever it is on December 28 in Atlanta than Pasadena on January 1. The reason is that winning the Big Ten and beating Ohio State to do it would be unfathomably sweet. It's a whole month of legitimately being on top of the CFB world -- as Minnesota(!) -- and having real, founded belief of a natty. Far better than coming in 2nd and going to the traditional prize game.

Top Bottom