Wow iowa

Good article. I think both are being conservative in their score predictions. I think Gophs win by 10+.

I agree, I think it will be like the wisconsin game last year. Throw historical results out the window again, they have no bearing on the game.

Iowa is a few plays away from being 9-0. And we’re playing on the road. It’s not shocking to me that we are the underdogs. Iowa also tends to have a game each year where they beat a top 10 team at home. We’ll need to play our best.

I'm surprised the OP has Iowa fans talking trash to him. Most Hawkeye fans I know are thinking the game is a probable loss.

I don't understand the line. I had guessed Minnesota by 3. Advanced metrics puts it somewhere in that range.

Should be a fun game.

Minnesota fans, keep on dreaming big. The 12-0 2015 season was something I'll never forget.

I have friends that are Hawkeyes fans and I was happy for Iowa that year. The game vs Minnesota was an entertaining one.

Nate Stanley took a big shot trying to score a two point conversion vs Wisconsin. I was wondering if was concussed, but it appears he will be playing.

Iowa's TE are not nearly as good this year as they were last year and won't be as good as the guys Penn State had. This is one area where Martin coming back should be a huge help. And as to the pass rusher line, yes that was a problem early in the year but has not been a problem here in the past 5-6 games. Penn State has one of the best pass rushes in the country and for the most part the O-Line shut them down.

I think the line and projections for this game are definitely being driven by people still not fully buying into the U and leaning on history with the assumption that we are going to repeat it. And they certainly could be right. Kinnick is a tough place to play and Iowa has a solid team which has competed well against other good teams.

I just feel like the offense is hitting another gear as the season goes on and it is going to be really hard for any team to shut it down. A team like Penn State has the weapons to keep up, I am not sold at all that Iowa does. In spite of the predictions and what not I still see this one going very similar to the game in Madison last year. I think this team has something to prove and this is just the next step on the journey. Fleck is probably leaning hard on what they did during WMU's undefeated run and so far it has definitely been working.

We will lose eventually, could happen on Saturday, but here's hoping this crazy ride of a season continues and the boys go out and get it done against Iowa. Time to end another long streak and bring Floyd home!

PSU was missing their starting tackle and still got pressure in key moments. I'm not ready to say that Iowa will not challenge the Gophers o-line.

I get the feeling the 3 point line in Iowas favor is due to the fact the odds makers are betting on an emotional let down after a historic win. I would agree with this most years but this team/coaching staff is different. I believe the team is on to the Iowa Championship season - this Gophers win will solidify any doubters left.

Last edited:

Iowa is the last top on the Rossi revenge tour. I think we hang 30 plus on them just like last year, but Rossi keeps them under 20 this time.

Iowa is the last top on the Rossi revenge tour. I think we hang 30 plus on them just like last year, but Rossi keeps them under 20 this time.

We still have Ohio St on Dec 7 (assuming they beat Penn St), which is part of the Rossi revenge tour as well.

Iowa has lost three games against good times by a combined score of 10 or something.
I think Stanley is a good QB and I remember thinking in 2017 that I wish Claeys and staff had offered him. He's a big guy but not mobile.

I wonder if Iowa fans will want a change at offensive coordinator if they finish with 7 or 8 wins this year and continue to struggle with scoring?

Iowa has lost three games against good times by a combined score of 10 or something.
I think Stanley is a good QB and I remember thinking in 2017 that I wish Claeys and staff had offered him. He's a big guy but not mobile.

I wonder if Iowa fans will want a change at offensive coordinator if they finish with 7 or 8 wins this year and continue to struggle with scoring?

They already want the change.

That’s the trouble with doing business with family. Firing your son, hmmm. I think Ferentz probably thinks Ferentz Jr is doing a fine job anyway. They have always been about defense, running the ball, and hitting play action downfield or taking advantage of TEs on linebackers, in that order. Special teams, field position. The formula can be effective if their defense matches up.

That’s the trouble with doing business with family. Firing your son, hmmm. I think Ferentz probably thinks Ferentz Jr is doing a fine job anyway. They have always been about defense, running the ball, and hitting play action downfield or taking advantage of TEs on linebackers, in that order. Special teams, field position. The formula can be effective if their defense matches up.

Very true!
Didn’t Brian have a dislike for Fleck as well. He seems a little immature, but have always respected Kirk.

Since 2016 we will be the third team to head to Kinnick in November that controlled their own College Playoff destiny. The previous two came up empty. #2 Michigan lost 14-13 in 2016 and #3 Ohio St. got drubbed 55-24 in 2017.

It will be a very difficult game, for sure.

Thank you.

Iowa's got a lot of quality losses. Surprising they didn't get them ahead of the Gophers in the CFP this week.

The quality wins are harder to find. They won El Assico by a point against computer-darling Iowa State after getting heavily outgained. After that it's...Purdue at home by 6? Winning at Northwestern?

Since 2016 we will be the third team to head to Kinnick in November that controlled their own College Playoff destiny. The previous two came up empty. #2 Michigan lost 14-13 in 2016 and #3 Ohio St. got drubbed 55-24 in 2017.

Lost to ISU, Wisconsin, Nebraska at Kinnick in 2014
NDSU, Northwestern, and Wisconsin at Kinnick in 2016
Penn State, Purdue 2017
Wisconsin, Northwestern 2018

Michigan used to run a style of offense they matched up better with. Ohio State was a great win, will give them that. Any demolition of Ohio State is impressive. But, the list of teams that have gone into Kinnick and won is fairly lengthy. Just because past MN teams have struggled don’t mean this one will.

I have been trying to figure this one out all week as well. I get that they have a good defense and the game is on the road but it sure feels like we match up really really well with them. Their defense shouldn't be able to throw anything at us that Penn State couldn't and their offense is significantly worse. Plus we get Martin back which should be a huge boost to our defense.

If we execute on offense and defense anywhere close to how we have been I just don't see how we lose this game.

Yeah but...it's a road game, against a rival, and a rival that plays pretty good football at that. I saw the odds of the Gophers winning last Saturday as a toss-up (which seems pretty optimistic given the line of -6.5). And with a little over a minute left, that's exactly what it was. I see this matchup as only slightly better than a toss-up, because of the road game and the potential for an emotional letdown or a stretch of over-confidence. The key here is to have no emotional letdown after last week's big win and to just keep doing what's been working. If that happens the Gophers could very well head to Northwestern undefeated.

I don’t believe past records or scores from prior seasons have any bearing on what is present. The only way I say it does is if it’s basically the same exact rosters again, same coaches, etc. people want to say that because they usually beat someone under such and such circumstance over a span of however many years, well that means it’s more likely to happen this time too. I don’t buy into that. I think it’s possible that teams going into a game knowing those things could be discouraged and go into a game feeling like they already lost before they start. Otherwise I just see these kinds of stats as interesting, but not bearing any substantial weight in the current outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he took shots at Fleck with how many offers MN throws out

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2017/05/04/brian-ferentz-rampages-against-recruiting-rivals-hawk-central-podcast/310493001/

“What has sped things up (in recruiting) in our state, especially, is the guys in Ames and then the new guys in Minneapolis seem to have no problem really throwing early things out,” Ferentz, 34, said, referring to scholarship offers. “And what I’ve learned – certainly about the guys in Ames, and I think we’ll find this about the guys in Minneapolis — what does an offer really mean? I can tell you this much: If the University of Iowa offers you a scholarship and you commit to us, we intend to sign you.

Iowa's defense looks pretty soft. Hopefully we see that short passing game to Smith get added back this week. I don't think they could handle it.

This is hate week down there. All gloves are off for this Iowa/MN championship. The twelve man will be loud and intimidating. Iowa is most dangerous after the road loss to Wisconsin.

Minnesota needs to play their game. Score early and often. Protect Tanner Morgan and allow him orchestrate the RPO machine. So far, it has worked.

The Gophers so far are playing disciplined team football. Tanner releases the ball quickly before the opposing defense can blink an eye. Neutralize the Iowa Defense. The Gophers Defense need to stop Iowa's running game to give Stanley less options. It helps to have Martin back. I don't know if he has fully recovered, but you can't keep him from playing.

Big Mo can turn on a dime. We need to watch out for fumbles and strips. Iowa has been schooled well in causing turnovers.

This is a defining game for the Gophers and the Hawkeyes. There are lots of doubters yet on the chummy CFB playoff committee. Ergo, the low ranking at #10. Silence the critics by winning in Iowa City. Continue winning game after game.

This is Big Ten Football as it should be!

Go Gophers!!!

Last edited:

This game will be a hornets nest to start. Iowa fans will slinging the noise like no other game they have played and Iowa will be pretty revved up with the All black uniforms. Hopefully the Gophers can take their best punch early then get on a roll. Go Gophers! ROW the Boat and Ski U Mah!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Iowa's got a lot of quality losses. Surprising they didn't get them ahead of the Gophers in the CFP this week.

The quality wins are harder to find. They won El Assico by a point against computer-darling Iowa State after getting heavily outgained. After that it's...Purdue at home by 6? Winning at Northwestern?

Quality losses by average B1G QB >>>> Comeback wins by one of the best QB in nation

Top Bottom