Wow iowa

Reaction score
All week, people telling me Gophers cannot win at Iowa. If they are so f@@@@@@ good, why can't they beat PSU or a Michigan team that was playing poorly and what about Wisconsin? Don't they smash these teams? What will the world do if we win?

I have been trying to figure this one out all week as well. I get that they have a good defense and the game is on the road but it sure feels like we match up really really well with them. Their defense shouldn't be able to throw anything at us that Penn State couldn't and their offense is significantly worse. Plus we get Martin back which should be a huge boost to our defense.

If we execute on offense and defense anywhere close to how we have been I just don't see how we lose this game.

Only way we lose is by beating ourselves, but this team is too disciplined to beat itself. It won’t go down to this Iowa team that struggles to score, and is worse in the run game than Rutgers (yes that is a true stat for the season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa needs this to be a low-scoring game - a 17-14 type of game. If the Gophers score 20+ plus, that puts a lot of pressure on Iowa's offense to finish drives - which they just have not been able to do consistently. From what I can see, they move the ball pretty well between the 20's, and then the drive stalls out and they kick a FG.

For the Gophers, they need touchdowns and they need to avoid turnovers. Ideally, the Gophs want to score first and put more pressure on the Iowa offense. this is one game where the Gophs really need to grab the lead. do not want to be playing from behind on the road.

This should be another tough test, as it appears to be the 2nd best opponent the Gophers will have faced. Anything can happen with each game. IF the Gophers execute like they are capable of, I like their chances. I do have confidence that this coaching staff will have the Gophers well-prepared. I'm looking forward to another exciting showdown!

Big trophy game at home, late afternoon (more emotion in fans and teams), basically a solid football team with a great QB and a good defense, sell-out, need to make up for a loss last week, and the natural desire to knock off a traditional rival that is now getting a high ranking and a lot of positive hype. It will be a real challenge for the Gophers. Arguably we have a better shot at Wisconsin than at Iowa.

All week, people telling me Gophers cannot win at Iowa. If they are so f@@@@@@ good, why can't they beat PSU or a Michigan team that was playing poorly and what about Wisconsin? Don't they smash these teams? What will the world do if we win?

Some of the best B1G teams in history have lost games at Kinnick to mediocre Iowa teams.

They play a messy, slow brand of football which keeps them competitive in nearly every game they play.

The Gophers match up well with them this year, assuming they coach up their linebackers to clean up last week's issue with tight ends working in the slot. That's not an easy thing to clean up in 5 days of practice.

The Gophers will also have to contend with one really good pass-rusher which they have struggled with at times this season.

I don't understand why Iowa's favored. Frankly, this year's Iowa team doesn't look all that great, but this game is going to be physical and tough.

Last edited:

Ben Leber is in with the Power Trip Morning Show several times each week. Yesterday, he was in with Tommy Olson. He's seen Iowa play. They grew up as Hawkeye fans and his brothers are still Hawkeye fans (obviously he's not....he went to KSU).

Leber doesn't understand the line. He thinks it is all based on the perception that the Gophers can't win on the road against a good opponent. That we haven't won in Buttlick (my addition) stadium for a long time. But he said that we match up great with them. Penn State has a fantastic defense. Specifically their front line. Iowa doesn't come close to that. Wisconsin ran all over them....and Leber expects that the Gophers should be able to do the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Some of the best B1G teams in history have lost games at Kinnick to mediocre Iowa teams.

They play a messy, slow brand of football which keeps them competitive in nearly every game they play.

The Gophers match up well with them this year, assuming they coach up their linebackers to clean up last week's issue with tight ends working in the slot. That's not an easy thing to clean up in 5 days of practice.

The Gophers will also have to contend with one really good pass-rusher which they have struggled with at times this season.

I don't understand why Iowa's favored. Frankly, this year's Iowa team doesn't look all that great, but this game is going to be physical and tough.

Iowa's TE are not nearly as good this year as they were last year and won't be as good as the guys Penn State had. This is one area where Martin coming back should be a huge help. And as to the pass rusher line, yes that was a problem early in the year but has not been a problem here in the past 5-6 games. Penn State has one of the best pass rushes in the country and for the most part the O-Line shut them down.

I think the line and projections for this game are definitely being driven by people still not fully buying into the U and leaning on history with the assumption that we are going to repeat it. And they certainly could be right. Kinnick is a tough place to play and Iowa has a solid team which has competed well against other good teams.

I just feel like the offense is hitting another gear as the season goes on and it is going to be really hard for any team to shut it down. A team like Penn State has the weapons to keep up, I am not sold at all that Iowa does. In spite of the predictions and what not I still see this one going very similar to the game in Madison last year. I think this team has something to prove and this is just the next step on the journey. Fleck is probably leaning hard on what they did during WMU's undefeated run and so far it has definitely been working.

We will lose eventually, could happen on Saturday, but here's hoping this crazy ride of a season continues and the boys go out and get it done against Iowa. Time to end another long streak and bring Floyd home!

Need to have early success to limit the crowd. Kinnick IS loud when the fans are engaged. Our guys got to experience it happening to the other guys last weekend, but now that shoe is on their foot.

Anyone think Brooks will want to re-prove himself? Maybe have a big game? Is their qb a mobile on the run passer?

Since 2016 we will be the third team to head to Kinnick in November that controlled their own College Playoff destiny. The previous two came up empty. #2 Michigan lost 14-13 in 2016 and #3 Ohio St. got drubbed 55-24 in 2017.

It will be a very difficult game, for sure.

Since 2016 we will be the third team to head to Kinnick in November that controlled their own College Playoff destiny. The previous two came up empty. #2 Michigan lost 14-13 in 2016 and #3 Ohio St. got drubbed 55-24 in 2017.

It will be a very difficult game, for sure.

Nearly any team can win one game; the above proves it. Not any team can win at Kinnick w/o some luck and being really good. Would be really fun if we won.

watched the Iowa/Wisconsin game last night.

they didn't have their tight end vs Wisconsin...Wieting...I think he is expected back. the back up TEs for Iowa just missed some big catches. Stanley delivers darts.

they have a young rb with some wheels who has been getting more run, Goodson, I think. Busted loose a little vs Bucky.

also, a young wr, Tracy, who has been getting more calls, beat Wisconsin deep.

also, they may be getting top lb Welch back. but Gophers may be getting Martin back, so that helps.

the def ends, Gholston and Epenesa both are monsters...the dts are big...the Iowa linebackers hit hard, the safety, stone, hits hard...but Wisconsin did run for 300 yards...Taylor looked really quick through the holes...can be tough for a defense to face two physical run games back-to-back. Stanley took a big hit on the would-be game-tying two-point conversion at end of game.

a couple of the accused rapist wrs that are back on the field this year beat the Iowa secondary for some big plays

Wisconsin had some success with blitzing right up the middle (Braelen Oliver package? Winfield? Williamson?)...I think Iowa offensive line is stronger at tackles than guards. center is a frosh, had a few bad snaps.

Iowa defense constantly digging at the ball for fumbles...Ferentz was very conservative in some of his calls.

watched the Iowa/Wisconsin game last night.

they didn't have their tight end vs Wisconsin...Wieting...I think he is expected back. the back up TEs for Iowa just missed some big catches. Stanley delivers darts.

they have a young rb with some wheels who has been getting more run, Goodson, I think. Busted loose a little vs Bucky.

also, a young wr, Tracy, who has been getting more calls, beat Wisconsin deep.

also, they may be getting top lb Welch back. but Gophers may be getting Martin back, so that helps.

the def ends, Gholston and Epenesa both are monsters...the dts are big...the Iowa linebackers hit hard, the safety, stone, hits hard...but Wisconsin did run for 300 yards...Taylor looked really quick through the holes...can be tough for a defense to face two physical run games back-to-back. Stanley took a big hit on the would-be game-tying two-point conversion at end of game.

a couple of the accused rapist wrs that are back on the field this year beat the Iowa secondary for some big plays

Wisconsin had some success with blitzing right up the middle (Braelen Oliver package? Winfield? Williamson?)...I think Iowa offensive line is stronger at tackles than guards. center is a frosh, had a few bad snaps.

Iowa defense constantly digging at the ball for fumbles...Ferentz was very conservative in some of his calls.

Welch is more likely to miss than play from what I've been seeing. If he doesn't go it'll be a big help.

The general consensus seems to be that Minnesota matches up well with Iowa this year which is good for Minnesota.

It is never easy to win at Kinnick Stadium regardless of how good or bad the Hawkeyes are, many have alluded to this as well. There is a reason why Iowa is favored by 3 points. I think its to Minnesota's benefit to be the road "underdog".

Iowa will want to grind it out and keep the score as low as possible as that will increase their chances of winning. Minnesota can match that style of play with their running backs and taking up large chunks of TOP. However, Minnesota can also easily put up 30+ points on you with their explosive passing game.

The key to Minnesota will be getting off to a fast start and taking the crowd out of the game. If Minnesota can score 24 or more points, they will win the game. The only way Minnesota loses this game is if they beat themselves with penalties and turnovers. Fleck and his staff will have this team prepared and focused on the Iowa Championship Season.

Minnesota 31 Iowa 20

Welch is more likely to miss than play from what I've been seeing. If he doesn't go it'll be a big help.

Meaning if we win the game we will drop to #9 because Iowa wasn't at full strength

The general consensus seems to be that Minnesota matches up well with Iowa this year which is good for Minnesota.

It is never easy to win at Kinnick Stadium regardless of how good or bad the Hawkeyes are, many have alluded to this as well. There is a reason why Iowa is favored by 3 points. I think its to Minnesota's benefit to be the road "underdog".

Iowa will want to grind it out and keep the score as low as possible as that will increase their chances of winning. Minnesota can match that style of play with their running backs and taking up large chunks of TOP. However, Minnesota can also easily put up 30+ points on you with their explosive passing game.

The key to Minnesota will be getting off to a fast start and taking the crowd out of the game. If Minnesota can score 24 or more points, they will win the game. The only way Minnesota loses this game is if they beat themselves with penalties and turnovers. Fleck and his staff will have this team prepared and focused on the Iowa Championship Season.

Minnesota 31 Iowa 20

Special teams can flip games as well...liked the look of Brock Walker. Would love to see Winfield in the return game. Be nice not to kick-off out of bounds. seth green two point conversion options?

Last edited:

Let's see the Gophers beat Iowee and take the bronze pig. Gophers Oline needs to move the pile. Hit them with all three backs, let's Go!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Big trophy game at home, late afternoon (more emotion in fans and teams), basically a solid football team with a great QB and a good defense, sell-out, need to make up for a loss last week, and the natural desire to knock off a traditional rival that is now getting a high ranking and a lot of positive hype. It will be a real challenge for the Gophers. Arguably we have a better shot at Wisconsin than at Iowa.

Great quarterback? Nathan Stanley? Hardly.

Minnesota 31 Iowa 20

I was there the last time the Gophers beat Iowa in Iowa City. Iowa had been terrible that year, I believe finished 1-10. The Gophers had just beaten #2 Penn State a few weeks beforehand. We all expected the Gophers to win the game quite easily. The Gophers got behind on a couple of long passes early and trailed something like 21-10 at halftime. The Gophers had to come back in the second half and scored on bubble pass to Arland Bruce that went for a long TD. Iowa drove inside the Gophers 5 late, but the Gophers knocked down an Iowa pass as time expired.

As much as I see this game as a good matchup for the Gophers, like you said winning in Iowa City is never easy. I'm a bit surprised that the Gophers are underdogs, but I will be surprised if the Gophers win this one going away.

Anyone think Brooks will want to re-prove himself? Maybe have a big game? Is their qb a mobile on the run passer?

I think Brooks is coming along. He’s not quite the same player yet, and unfortunately has always had some issues with ball security going through traffic. Still my favorite when he’s 100%.

The book on Stanley seems to be that he’s inconsistent. NFL arm, NFL body. Tends to hold on to the ball way too long but that’s a product of the Iowa constipated offense to some degree. Seems to not be decisive IMO and has been bailed out by his big TEs in the past. He’s mobile in that Big Ben way but not a streak like Clifford. Very hard to tackle/sack.

Ferentz will obviously play relatively conservative with a lead and will go to the air if they are behind. Even in big wins they’ve had Stanley throwing 25-30 times though which is a bit surprising. It will be interesting to see how MN plays them. It seems likely our secondary is good enough to commit an extra man around the LOS but obviously anything can happen.

I'm surprised the OP has Iowa fans talking trash to him. Most Hawkeye fans I know are thinking the game is a probable loss.

I don't understand the line. I had guessed Minnesota by 3. Advanced metrics puts it somewhere in that range.

Should be a fun game.

Minnesota fans, keep on dreaming big. The 12-0 2015 season was something I'll never forget.

I'm surprised the OP has Iowa fans talking trash to him. Most Hawkeye fans I know are thinking the game is a probable loss.

I don't understand the line. I had guessed Minnesota by 3. Advanced metrics puts it somewhere in that range.

Should be a fun game.

Minnesota fans, keep on dreaming big. The 12-0 2015 season was something I'll never forget.

I has been a heck of a ride, and an unexpected one at that because most of us felt like the team was probably still a year away from really reaching its full potential. Started slow, but what we are seeing right now is what we saw at the end of last season. Still hard to get used to Minnesota going out and physically dominating Big Ten teams, but has been awesome to see.

If we can find a way to get by Iowa tomorrow, 12-0 becomes a very distinct possibility with a road game against Northwestern and a home date with Wisconsin left.

I don't get the betting line either. The two trends I would be looking at would be how has Minnesota being doing on the Robb Smith revenge tour against teams we lost to last year and also the two year trend of the Gophers getting better as the season progresses.

No way those trends guarantee victory, but in the pantheon of probability it would seem more likely that the gophers will win, not less.

Good article. I think both are being conservative in their score predictions. I think Gophs win by 10+.

Top Bottom