PSU Attendance

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
6,800 people still didn't show for the game.

Announced 51,883
Scanned 45,025

Can't argue w/ the numbers here, but that the crowd for PSU was far-and-away more engaged than the TCU game. I have never heard The Bank that loud.
I wasn't at 2013 UW, but I'm sure that game was at least 20% Badger fans.

Wow, really surprised by the number of no shows. I just did not see many open seats.

The 2 next to me stayed open the entire game. But other than that I didn't notice that much. Interesting.

They didn't scan my ticket or my wife's ticket. We just walked on in. Was weird but we had tickets so I didn't really care.

They didn't scan my ticket or my wife's ticket. We just walked on in. Was weird but we had tickets so I didn't really care.

I assume this can happen pretty easily in a rush

There were 9k more people in the stands for TCU than for PSU?

We could have walked right in too. I actually had to go out of my way to get my ticket scanned. What a sh|t show.

I was expecting a tiny amount of no-shows. This is waaaaay higher than I expected based on simply looking around the stadium. It looked more full than it was for the Air Force game in 2009. My guess is a lot of people walked in without being scanned.

I doubt there were that many no shows. As the lines got bad I think they started to wave people through. I think they got word to speed things up. I set off the metal detector and they wanded me. The wand went off too and they still said to just go on in.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Wow, really surprised by the number of no shows. I just did not see many open seats.

When you have a venue with bench seating, especially when people wear bulky cold weather clothing, it is easy to cover the empty seats when people spread out a bit. If there are 26 seats in a row and only 23 or 24 people in the row, you won't see the empty space as with the size of an empty chair back seat. It disappears as people take advantage of the extra inches of room. The maroon seats are harder to see when open although the gold ones badly stick out.

Why did people no show? It comes down to several factors together. StubHub speculators and professional scalpers got stuck with extras, people went deer hunting and didn't dispose of their seats. We have an older core of season ticket holders that doesn't like to sit outside, often deciding whether or not to attend as late as game day depending on the weather. Stuff happens in life and people couldn't make it because of work, big school projects, household chores, the kids having traveling basketball or dance class, getting the flu or whatever. There are corporate seats that get bought, stuck in a desk drawer, and forgotten about. Someone might have had four tickets, could only find two other people to come, and ate the leftover.

I noticed the odd empty seat here and there, but no large blocks of empty seats or rows as is the case when tickets go unsold. This easily was largest actual crowd the Gophers have had in years. The large crowd also once again showed that the stadium sometimes feels the strain of big crowds with longer food and restroom lines, more concourse congestion, and the failure of cellular data networks.

Maybe a scanner or two wasn't working properly or never got downloaded into the full count. Lots of reasons there may have been fewer scans than actual fans in the seats.

There were 9k more people in the stands for TCU than for PSU?
TCU was back in the days of the Vikings playing at TCF and they had a bunch of temporary bleachers/seats set up in the plaza to accommodate the NFL. I can tell you though it was not as loud and electric as Penn State. No way.

I literally did not see a single seat empty and I was lucky enough to sit in the "beautiful people's" section this last game which often has empty seats. There's no way the stadium was 13% empty.

tbh i think this is a failure of scanning. They were missing droves of people coming in when I entered at the open end of the stadium

Good to know in the event I make it down for Wisconsin and don't have a ticket...can just follow the crowd and get in for free!

TCU was back in the days of the Vikings playing at TCF and they had a bunch of temporary bleachers/seats set up in the plaza to accommodate the NFL. I can tell you though it was not as loud and electric as Penn State. No way.

Note as well that the TCU and Wisconsin crowd counts are official attendance, not the actual tickets scanned counts. My recollection of the game against Wisconsin was that despite both teams being ranked and the match up looking like the best chance the Gophers had to win the Axe in several years, it was very cold and there were plenty of no shows. The actual number of fans in the stadium wasn't close to the 53,090 that the U of M publicized. The TCU game from 2015, with the visitors coming in ranked #2 and the Gophers opening the season after the Citrus Bowl run, had better live attendance in 80 degree weather, but even then the actual crowd wasn't the 54,147 that was announced.

I could only see a handful of empty seats anywhere near us. I did notice that there was a huge line to get into the stadium maybe 20 minutes before kickoff, but about 10 minutes later the line was completely gone. No way everyone in that line was screened and scanned in 10 minutes.

Note as well that the TCU and Wisconsin crowd counts are official attendance, not the actual tickets scanned counts. My recollection of the game against Wisconsin was that despite both teams being ranked and the match up looking like the best chance the Gophers had to win the Axe in several years, it was very cold and there were plenty of no shows. The actual number of fans in the stadium wasn't close to the 53,090 that the U of M publicized. The TCU game from 2015, with the visitors coming in ranked #2 and the Gophers opening the season after the Citrus Bowl run, had better live attendance in 80 degree weather, but even then the actual crowd wasn't the 54,147 that was announced.

TCU was packed. guessing under 1,000 no shows. There's always going to be no-shows regardless. There were open seats around me, but like others have said, they were mostly single seats so really hard to notice. I think there were some visible strings of seats in the usual visitor's section.

My take is that they wanted to make sure that everyone was in their seats as close to game time as possible and were pretty lax on the scanning front. I'd agree that it didn't appear that there were 6,000 empty seats. If people display tickets, and they know all the tickets are sold, I am not sure that they care that much about the scanning process. I was amazed by how full the stands were at kickoff for an 11:00 am game. Will be interesting to see how things go at the wisconsin game.

No way this is correct. One of every 7-8 seats was not empty. The place was packed and we had to stand the entire game.

No one by me had their tickets scanned.

Kind of mind blowing, and I can't imagine it's a common experience, but most of the games over the last 2 years, at least 1 ticket in my group has not scanned as a valid ticket according to the scanners.

Who says there were that many "no shows"? I too had to walk out of my way in order to get scanned. My section, from row 17 down, had only a couple of empty seats.

When you have a venue with bench seating, especially when people wear bulky cold weather clothing, it is easy to cover the empty seats when people spread out a bit. If there are 26 seats in a row and only 23 or 24 people in the row, you won't see the empty space as with the size of an empty chair back seat. It disappears as people take advantage of the extra inches of room. The maroon seats are harder to see when open although the gold ones badly stick out.

Why did people no show? It comes down to several factors together. StubHub speculators and professional scalpers got stuck with extras, people went deer hunting and didn't dispose of their seats. We have an older core of season ticket holders that doesn't like to sit outside, often deciding whether or not to attend as late as game day depending on the weather. Stuff happens in life and people couldn't make it because of work, big school projects, household chores, the kids having traveling basketball or dance class, getting the flu or whatever. There are corporate seats that get bought, stuck in a desk drawer, and forgotten about. Someone might have had four tickets, could only find two other people to come, and ate the leftover.

I noticed the odd empty seat here and there, but no large blocks of empty seats or rows as is the case when tickets go unsold. This easily was largest actual crowd the Gophers have had in years. The large crowd also once again showed that the stadium sometimes feels the strain of big crowds with longer food and restroom lines, more concourse congestion, and the failure of cellular data networks.

I get your points, but both sidelines are chairbacks, so that only really applies to the endzones. We also forget that throughout the game the concourse is at least 10 to 20% full in addition to suites. Maybe the suites are part of that count?

Anyway, that scanned figure does not pass the eye test. I was at Airforce, TCU, and this Penn State Game in addition to the Skunks in a Popcorn box game. The TCU crowd might have been larger due to the added seats when the Vikings played at TCF, but everywhere that I could see appeared to be at or darn close to full capacity. Look at the early stages of the field rush. The field was nearly full and the stands still had tons of people.

With all of that said, let's make the Wisconsin game even better!!!

Top Bottom