PSU Attendance

Agreed

This happened to us my family of five, only one was scanned.

I purchased my tickets directly from the U ticket office. Only my ticket scanned, my Dad's ticket did not scan but I can assure you he was in his seat. I don't believe the number of no-shows was as high as is listed in this article.

How, in the wide world of sports, are people able to get into a gopher game without their ticket being checked/scanned?! I find that to be ridiculous.

How, in the wide world of sports, are people able to get into a gopher game without their ticket being checked/scanned?! I find that to be ridiculous.

The gate I use has what look like high school students scanning tickets. I had to actually ask one of them to scan my ticket as she and the others weren’t aggressive in asking to scan tickets. I could have waled right by them without a problem.

When the scanned ticket numbers came out for the games last year I stated they were way off and there were more people in the stands than what showed as being scanned. I was “laughed” at. The scanned numbers were wrong then and now.

I think someone's scanner was broken. If there were 6800 empty seats, you couldn't prove it by me. The place was packed. In our section, 212, there were only scattered empty seats, and very few of them to speak of.

I think someone's scanner was broken. If there were 6800 empty seats, you couldn't prove it by me. The place was packed. In our section, 212, there were only scattered empty seats, and very few of them to speak of.

Same with 211 around us. However, I cannot figure out who owns several of the more expensive seats directly in front of us. Definitely not the U. Fully expected to have PSU butts in them but they were empty. Been that way all season.

My ticket didn't get scanned. He attempted a few times but kept getting an error code and finally said just go in.

They didn't scan my ticket or my wife's ticket. We just walked on in. Was weird but we had tickets so I didn't really care.

I am pretty sure my tickets were not scanned either. The security right around kick-off was working really hard to get everyone inside.

They didn't scan my ticket or my wife's ticket. We just walked on in. Was weird but we had tickets so I didn't really care.

I would venture to say that most of this were unscanned tickets. Sometimes mine gets scanned, sometimes doesn't.

Watching a full student section participate in the back and forth sway prior to the Gophers storming the field to start the game was one of the cooler moments I've seen at a stadium. Students are notorious late arrivies and this is another tradition brewing that hopefully gets them really engaged in the program.

I'm in cheap seats (246) there were few empty seats by me. we added a third ticket in different section, but two seats to our left were open so we still sat together.

There's no real gates where tickets are scanned.

You go through security and ... you're in and ticket scanner folks are standing around but nothing prevents anyone from just walking past them.

The stadium still looked full after everyone was on the field after the game was over!

When you have a venue with bench seating, especially when people wear bulky cold weather clothing, it is easy to cover the empty seats when people spread out a bit. If there are 26 seats in a row and only 23 or 24 people in the row, you won't see the empty space as with the size of an empty chair back seat. It disappears as people take advantage of the extra inches of room. The maroon seats are harder to see when open although the gold ones badly stick out.

Why did people no show? It comes down to several factors together. StubHub speculators and professional scalpers got stuck with extras, people went deer hunting and didn't dispose of their seats. We have an older core of season ticket holders that doesn't like to sit outside, often deciding whether or not to attend as late as game day depending on the weather. Stuff happens in life and people couldn't make it because of work, big school projects, household chores, the kids having traveling basketball or dance class, getting the flu or whatever. There are corporate seats that get bought, stuck in a desk drawer, and forgotten about. Someone might have had four tickets, could only find two other people to come, and ate the leftover.

I noticed the odd empty seat here and there, but no large blocks of empty seats or rows as is the case when tickets go unsold. This easily was largest actual crowd the Gophers have had in years. The large crowd also once again showed that the stadium sometimes feels the strain of big crowds with longer food and restroom lines, more concourse congestion, and the failure of cellular data networks.

Really good points.

Another factor that will be quietly swept under the rug -- I have a feeling that a good number of tickets (maybe even thousands) were simply written off as "sold" and were donated away to organizations to give out, like youth football, underprivileged youth, etc. And that is legitimate, but they might have done it a "bit more" to get the sellout across the line. That is pure speculation by me, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Nonetheless, I am still a bit disappointed at the redemption. We didn't even get 90% of 51,883. I guess I'll blame the hunters. :cool:

Let's go for 95% at Wisconsin, regardless of the outcome tomorrow (but especially if we win!)!

Last edited:

To pile on, out of our group of 5, only one of us got our ticket scanned. The redemption numbers are complete BS. We always bring our young kids with us (but didn’t for this game), and have tickets for them. But if you’re carrying them in, they never ask for a ticket for them, so they are never counted.

Really good points.

Another factor that will be quietly swept under the rug -- I have a feeling that a good number of tickets (maybe even thousands) were simply written off as "sold" and were donated away to organizations to give out, like youth football, underprivileged youth, etc. And that is legitimate, but they might have done it a "bit more" to get the sellout across the line. That is pure speculation by me, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Nonetheless, I am still a bit disappointed at the redemption. We didn't even get 90% of 51,883. I guess I'll blame the hunters. :cool:

Let's go for 95% at Wisconsin, regardless of the outcome tomorrow (but especially if we win!)!

Considering it’ll be packed, I’d expect the scanned to be the same again

To pile on, out of our group of 5, only one of us got our ticket scanned. The redemption numbers are complete BS. We always bring our young kids with us (but didn’t for this game), and have tickets for them. But if you’re carrying them in, they never ask for a ticket for them, so they are never counted.

I’d be shocked if this accounts for more than a few hundred missing scans, at most.

If tickets aren’t being scanned by the thousands, then fire the security company immediately.

I’d be shocked if this accounts for more than a few hundred missing scans, at most.

If tickets aren’t being scanned by the thousands, then fire the security company immediately.

Have you gone to a game? They miss tons and use poor scanners. I agree it ain’t a good look, but it shouldn’t be made a huge deal

Have you gone to a game? They miss tons and use poor scanners. I agree it ain’t a good look, but it shouldn’t be made a huge deal

Agreed. Pretty good about wanding everyone, but many times I've had to hunt down a scanner in a crowd and if I was in a hurry there isn't much incentive to scan if they don't seem to care.

based on my own experience added to what I am reading here - You need to get on the phone pronto with the U to get the security company fired, immediately.

Yes and I have never not been asked for my ticket to be scanned. I am bewildered that it is happening.

Zero chance you can get into the Vikings stadium without a scanned ticket. TCF needs to be the same. It’s a matter of security. I hope the U takes this seriously.

Yes and I have never not been asked for my ticket to be scanned. I am bewildered that it is happening.

Zero chance you can get into the Vikings stadium without a scanned ticket. TCF needs to be the same. It’s a matter of security. I hope the U takes this seriously.

Security and potentially a massive fan experience issue if people can sneak into the game once this news gets out.

To be honest, I don't think it is a matter of security. You still have to go through all the security before entering the stadium where they scan your tickets. Unfortunately, you are helping people that are selling counterfeit tickets.

I think it would become more of a serious problem if tickets become harder to get and we see more sell outs or close to sell outs. Can't imagine a lot of counterfeit tickets when the stadium is half full and we can't give tickets away.

Not zero chance. One and only Vikings game I went to this year had tickets on the Vikings app and fumble fingered my phone after going through security and struggled to get the app back open. After about 10 seconds ticket scanner said "I trust you" and waived four of us through.

I'm sure they are profiling who they think would try to get in free. Also when you come in close to game time at peak backlog, can't let anything slow up those lines.

OK. I am wrong here, to some degree.

I find it frustrating and disappointing that both the U and the security company find it acceptable that thousands of people could be getting into the stadium unscanned.

But clearly it is happening to some degree.

I find it frustrating and disappointing that both the U and the security company find it acceptable that thousands of people could be getting into the stadium unscanned.

Don't get too excited. It's probably hundreds not thousands and the number who are not getting scanned that didn't have tickets is probably pretty close to zero.

When I saw the game later on TV it looked like almost all the seats were empty throughout the game. Never seen so many empty chairs for a game at TCF.

Because people stood the whole time.

When I saw the game later on TV it looked like almost all the seats were empty throughout the game. Never seen so many empty chairs for a game at TCF.

Especially about 5 minutes post-game.

Why? Ticket sales is all that matters, and the stadium was so packed that hundreds of patrons were standing on the upper deck walkway.

The game was a sell-out and there were maybe a couple of hundred no-shows. Done and done.

Top Bottom