News On Coordinator Contracts

so, now we have buyouts for coordinators. I understand the reason why - but it still strikes me as funny in a way.

Interesting in how big of a difference there is in their salaries. Rossi is newer to the job, but that's still a really big pay gap.

You wish that in the Mason Era they made money available to pay for a good Defensive Coordinator.

I'm glad we're rewarding Ciarocca for his loyalty when he could have jumped ship to WVU last year. This offense is truly a treat to watch, and the fact that we are actually developing QBs and WRs is a breath of fresh air.

Separately, it was interesting to see one of the regents essentially insinuate that PJ was still underpaid relative to market:

Regent Darrin Rosha said "in a very short time, Coach Fleck has established himself as one of the top, if not the top, talent in the [Big Ten], but where this contract is coming in, is a little more modest than that."

Rosha asked Athletic Director Mark Coyle for assurances the University is doing all it can to keep Fleck long-term. Coyle noted the previous contract extensions he's done with Fleck and the fact 65% of this one is guaranteed.

Thanks for the regent info - very interesting.

Finally, we have everyone aligned from PJ Fleck, Mark Coyle, Prez Joan Gable, all the way up to the BOR towards common goal.

PJ Fleck has all the things he said he was going to do in his hiring press conference. Well, almost all.

On the matter of Kirk Ciarrocca moving over to VT, I think the reason why he changed his mind is that it is difficult to walk away from the players that he had and all the hard work that they did in player development. Thank goodness.

1st and change year coordinator vs 8th year is the biggest difference

That should not matter at all. I mean if a person is employed for X amount of time but does the same position ranking, I.e. Coordinator to coordinator then they should be paid the same. Years of grinding in the same position level prior to that person even being there is irrelevant. In the real world thank god that isn't the case.

That should not matter at all. I mean if a person is employed for X amount of time but does the same position ranking, I.e. Coordinator to coordinator then they should be paid the same. Years of grinding in the same position level prior to that person even being there is irrelevant. In the real world thank god that isn't the case.

You don't think people with more experience get paid more in the real world?

For those of you like me that were wondering how big of a raise this was:

Kirk Ciarrocca is going from $720k this year to $1m next year, a ~39% increase.
Joe Rossi is going from $400k this year to $625k next year, a ~56% increase.

Based on 2018 assistant coach salaries in the Big Ten (couldn't find a good list of 2019 salaries), $1m would have rang in as the 6th highest paid assistant coach and $625k would have been 19th. Also very interesting to note: Robb Smith's salary last year was $710k when he was fired and Rossi is still making less than that.

Source for 2018 assistant coach salaries: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

You don't think people with more experience get paid more in the real world?

My sarcasm meter must be broken, sorry. That's exactly my point but there is a generation of employees who think that's shouldn't matter. As a business owner some of the conversations I've had with employees and their rationale for what they think they deserve or should have happen is mind numbing.

Holy smokes! A million dollars for a coordinator. Claeys was not getting much more than that, was he? Still, that's the market - and if the Penn State offensive plan was any example, the OC is worth it.

Did Robb Smith wind up with another team after we fired him?

Top Bottom