Big Ten championship game requires only e tickets.

Veritas

Banned
Reaction score
We don't have a smart phone and the new annoucement from the U says that only electronic tickets will be accepted at the gate. Paper tickets will not be honored. This is clear age discrimination and is absurd. We can't go to the game unless and until we buy a smart phone??!!

I get why... but man etickets suck ass as far as collecting tickets go.

I will have to make sure my phone is loaded with the right bytes, and that it is secured for travel.

We don't have a smart phone and the new annoucement from the U says that only electronic tickets will be accepted at the gate. Paper tickets will not be honored. This is clear age discrimination and is absurd. We can't go to the game unless and until we buy a smart phone??!!

I don't think its age discrimination. I think if anything its classism. Being old doesn't mean you can't have a smart phone. Being poor means you can't have one.

I don't think its age discrimination. I think if anything its classism. Being old doesn't mean you can't have a smart phone. Being poor means you can't have one.

I'm not normally on the side of "if you can afford x you should have y", but who can afford to travel to Indy and tickets to the Big Ten Championship but not afford a basic smartphone in 2019?

i work with tickets a lot. almost anywhere you go will be able to print out tickets at the box office if you don’t have a smart phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being old, more often, means you are perfectly capable of living without a smart phone as people have done for over 25,000 years. But, your point is additionally valid.

Have you tried contacting the U of M ticket office?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Why would we need one? We are old fashioned, we don't buy something unless we see a real need, not just a thing we might sort of want. Many over 60 just see them as expensive means of living a more hedonistic way of life. "Here am I now, see me!" Both my wife and I could not wait to live our lives free of our parents, etc. We just live the way people of always lived before. That should be allowed.

You also can't go to Vikings games or Twins games starting next year. Personally I find it annoying just because I prefer to print them out, but it's not changing. Get used to it. Also, I'm not sure about the B1G title game, but most places will allow you to go to the will call/ticket window and print out your tickets for you. But you will have to stand in line twice and probably pay a fee.

You also can't go to Vikings games or Twins games starting next year. Personally I find it annoying just because I prefer to print them out, but it's not changing. Get used to it.

Vikings is all etickets already I belive.

It's getting this way more and more. The Timberwolves don't accept paper tickets either. They use Flash Seats which also allows you to enter by using a credit card or driver's license that you can associate with the ticket purchase. You might be able to do the same with this game.

Have you tried contacting the U of M ticket office?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yes, "those are the rules set by the game, not us". Wrote the AD, no answer yet.

In addition to having Gopher football season tickets, I also have Vikings season tickets. The Vikes did away with cardboard tickets after the Metrodome closed and went to print at home or e-tickets for their two year stint at TCF Bank Stadium and the first two seasons at US Bank Stadium. Effective the 2018 season, the Vikes dropped the print at home option and went to e-tickets only. My Vikes tickets are part of a multi-person, block of several seats and as the administrator of this group, it created an immediate problem for an older gentleman in the gang who didn't even have email and was not remotely tech savvy enough to negotiate the system to access tickets. He worked his entire life at a blue collar job that didn't require him to use a computer or build those skills nor did he have any interest in doing so. He happily lived his life offline. I called the Vikes just to make sure there wasn't another way to do it, hoping that the team had some way to print them in case of a situation like this that they were keeping quiet on purpose.

The only way to not do e-tickets would have required this guy or whoever was using his seats to claim them on game day at will call each time. That was going to be an even bigger hassle, so we decided to do the e-ticket route. He came to my office with his smart phone in early August of 2018, but the phone he had was the kind your cellular carrier gives you for free or for $25 or something because it's out of date at the time you get it. In his case that time was a few years earlier. His phone was so old and incapable of being updated to a current OS that it couldn't download the Vikings app. He had to go to a Verizon store to change his plan and get an up to date phone. Then he came back and we had to both get him an email account and a Vikings account. I also had to move his tickets game by game to the app and show him how to access them. He's a great guy, I was glad to help him, and he could not have been more appreciative for the assistance, but this was a big hassle for the both of us.

I asked the Vikings rep why they did this and noted how much it had inconvenienced some people. He was apologetic, but made it very clear why this had happened. Scalpers outside the stadium were running wild, printing out the PDFs for say two seats a dozen times and selling those same seats over and over to multiple people. Although it was a buyer beware situation, it nevertheless created lots of headaches for the Vikes in trying to handle the aftermath. The team had always planned to eliminate the print at home option anyway, but several years later. They simply accelerated the process. The Gophers, I think, are the last team in town that prints the cardboard tickets, unless perhaps the Twins do. It's certainly wise to stay this way in football due to the Gophers’ older demographic and the unlikelihood of fraud due to the vast oversupply of tickets for most games. I could see Teague being tone deaf enough to have gone to all e-tickets, but Coyle now, and Maturi if he'd not retired, would not do such a thing.

Being old, more often, means you are perfectly capable of living without a smart phone as people have done for over 25,000 years. But, your point is additionally valid.

People were perfectly capable of living without the B1G Title Game for 25,000 years, so I don't see why you think you need to start going now.

It prevents counterfeit tickets from being sold. MN United tickets are also on on-line.

Got a reply from the U ticket office. If I buy tickets from them they will help if I do not have a smart phone. Perhaps will call window or whatever. Good.

Yes, "those are the rules set by the game, not us". Wrote the AD, no answer yet.

You will have to go to the ticket office day of the game. It is a hassle. I have done it for Vikings games.

Both my wife and I could not wait to live our lives free of our parents, etc. We just live the way people of always lived before. That should be allowed.

Wait, you and your wife killed your parents?

e tickets usually can be printed so you can present the tickets at the gate. I hope you are not so poor you cannot afford a $30 printer, ink and paper.
In any event MN has not yet qualified for the game.

e tickets usually can be printed so you can present the tickets at the gate. I hope you are not so poor you cannot afford a $30 printer, ink and paper.

That's not what the email said. Made a point to say paper will not be accepted.

I asked the Vikings rep why they did this and noted how much it had inconvenienced some people. He was apologetic, but made it very clear why this had happened. Scalpers outside the stadium were running wild, printing out the PDFs for say two seats a dozen times and selling those same seats over and over to multiple people. Although it was a buyer beware situation, it nevertheless created lots of headaches for the Vikes in trying to handle the aftermath. The team had always planned to eliminate the print at home option anyway, but several years later. They simply accelerated the process. The Gophers, I think, are the last team in town that prints the cardboard tickets, unless perhaps the Twins do. It's certainly wise to stay this way in football due to the Gophers’ older demographic and the unlikelihood of fraud due to the vast oversupply of tickets for most games. I could see Teague being tone deaf enough to have gone to all e-tickets, but Coyle now, and Maturi if he'd not retired, would not do such a thing.

Reminds me of the game in 2005 where the U misspelled Sandy Stephens' name on the original mailed out ticket, and came up with the solution to mail out duplicate tickets with his name spelled correctly. Unfortunately, a number of the tickets with the name spelled wrong were already distributed (people gave them away to friends, co-workers, sold on the internet, etc.), so there were people showing up with both sets of tickets for the same seats. I had a friend who worked in the ticket office who said there actually weren't too many issues that day, but I'm guessing people were aware of the issue and in the Dome there were enough empty seats that if your seats were taken there were plenty of others nearby to choose from.

So, does this pretty much eliminate the scalpers on the street? Or do they just have X tickets electronically and transfer them to you??

My problem with e-tickets only is that paper tickets work when your phone isn't working. How many people are going to have phone problems that day?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I would check to see if you can also associate a credit card or some kind of id, like a driver's license, with the tickets. The card can then be scanned at the entrance instead of using a phone. This is how it works with Flash Seats anyway.

I think you missed the point. The Big Ten Championship game will only accept non paper tickets.

Print out the QR barcode and tape it to the 1 inch screen of your flip phone

Seriously though to make this a hassle for the consumer is ridiculous

Top Bottom