Gophers lineman Sam Schlueter gets do-over against Iowa. And he’s ready

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The Gophers’ Sam Schlueter was yanked from his spot at right tackle at halftime of last season’s 48-31 loss to Iowa. He had given up multiple sacks, and as he took a seat on the bench, his confidence was in tatters.

The next week, Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck insisted, “Schlueter is very important for our football team. He’s going to be important for our football team now and important for our football team in the future.”

Schlueter had doubts — in himself. “I was lacking it a little bit more then, for sure,” he said of his confidence.

Schlueter didn’t start in the final eight games of 2018, but reemerged as an extra offensive lineman/massive tight end in Minnesota’s “heavy” formations. He contributed to convincing wins over Wisconsin and Georgia Tech to end the season.

“That helped build that confidence back up, and I went through spring ball and everything, and now I’m where I’m at,” Schleuter said.

https://www.brainerddispatch.com/sp...ter-gets-do-over-against-Iowa.-And-he’s-ready

Go Gophers!!

I don't really understand lineman stuff, but this year I watched Schleuter through the binoculars and he was doing well.

He's consistently been one of our best pass blockers and been solid in the run game. Massive improvement over 2018, and glad we get one more year out of him in 2020.

What has happened to Rockford? I miss his offensive line ratings.

Awesome stuff. I’m a sucker for redemption stories. Way to go Sam.

Sam is one of the most improved players on the team. Keep improving Sam and you will have a great Sr year and the anchor of the OL.

I've said it before here and I'll say it again now: I thought Sam Schlueter would never see the field again after he was pulled from the Iowa game. That he is possibly our best OL this year is almost miraculous.

I've said it before here and I'll say it again now: I thought Sam Schlueter would never see the field again after he was pulled from the Iowa game. That he is possibly our best OL this year is almost miraculous.

Sometimes it just takes more time for offensive lineman to develop. I would always encourage people not to write off young lineman until they have a few years of coaching at that level.

Same here.

Sam is one of the most improved players on the team. Keep improving Sam and you will have a great Sr year and the anchor of the OL.

Agree. Just think, many linemen don't even see significant minutes till their junior and senior seasons. Congrats to Sam!

It also shows what a great Coaching staff we have!!

I wonder if moving over the left side has helped him at all.

I am there with you. I was at the Wisconsin game and he really stood out. He was dominating as that sixth OL and I think it shows how intelligently this staff built him back up. They let him focus on his strengths to build up his confidence (and help the team win) and then fixed up some of those weaknesses.

The OL is a funny position and I think it's the position where drastic improvements are the most common. It's probably because it's hard to be a really good underclassman OL. Schlueter was written off as a SO. In hindsight, that's dumb for an OL (I'm calling myself out, not you).

Schleuter is kicking some a$$ and taking names. This has been great to see. This is exactly why you don't give up on someone who has talent. Congratulations Sam, and more great play to come.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

As I said in a previous thread, when Sam was recognized with a weekly award, I am the first to admit I was hard on him last year. He was bad last year. Bravo to him for making the adjustments and working hard to get where he is. I salute you.

What has happened to Rockford? I miss his offensive line ratings.

Was going to ask a similar question. Has been MIA on the site for a while. I really enjoyed his O-Line breakdowns each week. Really seemed to know his stuff.

Sometimes it just takes more time for offensive lineman to develop. I would always encourage people not to write off young lineman until they have a few years of coaching at that level.

Yep, O-Line especially can take 3-4 years before guys are ready to reach their full potential. Skill guys can come in and make an impact right away but it is rare when a young lineman is ready to go right away.

Glad the staff stuck with Sam and he has had the opportunity to prove that he is a quality player. Those 6 along the line along with the TEs have been huge in the wins we have been able to run off in Big Ten play. They are giving Tanner plenty of time to make good reads and get the ball out to his receivers.

If a tackle is left on an island to block pass-rushing defensive ends and stunting LBs, it's up to the coaches to rearrange blocking assignments to provide help. I'm not going to go back and watch last year's film, but I doubt the blocking struggles were all on him. Regardless, kudos to Sam and company for looking a helluva lot better than early last year (and even earlier this year).

Slightly off topic, but I am wondering what Quinn Carroll and Bryce Benhart are thinking now?

My sense was Carroll was very classy about the recruiting and Notre Dame won out because it is a Catholic university where people in his family have played and gone to college.

I may be wrong on Benhart. My impression is that he doesn't like PJ Fleck's schtick.

Riley Mahlman (2021) - I think that Wisconsin sold him the idea that the way to the pros is through Wisconsin OL U. He pulled the trigger after his visit to Camp Randall in the either the Michigan or Michigan State game. Is there a chance that he will reconsider the Gophers?

Hopefully thinks will change and the future top linemen in the State will stay home and be a part of something larger than themselves.

I believe he'll be up against Iowa's A.J Epenesa on Saturday...will be fun to watch the battle from my tix on the 30.

A. J. Espenesa is a legit 5-Star.

I agree. I wanted someone else to start this year but he's made a believer of me.

Top Bottom