Who is the most hated of Gopher opponents?

Most hated Gopher opponent is

• Iowa

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 125 78.6%
  • Michigan

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Purdue

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Penn State

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • North Dakota (Hockey fans)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Georgia Southern

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Just a poll to help get us to Saturday!

I'm also curious just how the hatred lies in demographics, so please respond with your age and who you hate.

I went to Minnesota in the 80's and I hate Iowa! I mean viscerally!

You could probably eliminate most of the choices on that list because outside of a handful of people my guess is going to be the vast majority pick either Iowa or Wisconsin.

Went to the U in the late 90's and for me it is the Badgers all the way in terms of most hated. Hawkeyes being a close second.

The answer for me goes 1.Wisconsin 2. Iowa 3. Nebraska. The Scott Frost era Nebraska fans are closing in fast on number 2. Note: Nebraska fans are fine in person... online they are as delusional as it gets.

Mine is:
1) Penn State - I know it is stupid, but I just can't cheer for them after the whole Paterno/Sandusky saga
2) Wisconsin
3) Iowa
4) Maryland and Rutgers - They aren't real big ten teams.

Used to be:
1. Whisky
2. Iowa
3. Who’s ever not playing #1 or #2 at the time
Whisky was 1 mostly because of the added hockey rivalry.
But then having a daughter graduate from WI softened my animosity (and in all honesty my daughter had a great time and got a great education in Madison). Now Iowa is number 1 with a bullet. While they have their share of drunk jerks, Wisconsin fans had sort of become almost condescending especially since they had mostly had our number in football and men’s bb. Still will never root for them. Iowa fans on the other hand are just obnoxious - I made the mistake of going to one of their online forums and had to stop reading because of such vile comments towards MN. They are now the only team I never root for in the Big Ten, even in NCAA bb tournaments or bowl games.

Last edited:

Wisconsin followed closely by NDSU

Wisconsin! why would it be anyone else

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

While it’s Wisconsin and Iowa in that order for me, I like both of their football coaches. Hated Bo and hate Fran, but Chryst, And particularly Ferentz, seem like good guys. Fitzgerald and Brohm are so much more obnoxious.

1. wisconsin
2. uw
3. badgers

In hockey:
1a. Whioux
1b. uw

Most hated, in order: Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa.

Favored, in order: Indiana, Michigan State, Northwestern.

Attended the U in late 80s and early 90's. I hate wisconsin the most, then Iowa.

Iowa because we chant that we hate Iowa all season.

Hated rivals:
Wisconsin No. 1. Playing them in all of the three major sports especially gives it a boost. Plus, I want to beat Wisconsin in other sports, too. I always want to see the Vikings beat the Packers and even though they don't play as often it's always great to see the Wolves take down the Bucks.

Iowa comes in second, playing for Floyd is great and taking them down in basketball is always sweet.

North Dakota third. Even though it's just one sport, the hockey rivalry is intense. It's just too bad the rivalry has lessened after the conference realignment. The same can be said for action on the ice vs Minnesota Duluth and Denver, but they were never on the level of Minn vs UND.

Not hated rivals:
Nebraska, I think has a fun rivalry right now with the Gophers. When they came into the conference, our programs already had history, with Minnesota even leading it. Since joining the Big Ten the rivalry has gone back and forth, which has been overall good for the match-up I think. Plus, the Chair trophy was developed organically and now goes toward charity.

Michigan, I'd say, is a "rival" I have respect for. Unfortunately they lead the all time series in football and certainly dominated it. Additionally the teams play in different divisions now, so not as many games are played. However, the Little Brown Jug just lends so much history to the two programs. Plus, unlike some of our other rivals, Michigan is another program with several national titles, more even. Another factor keeping Michigan as a rival are the match-ups in hockey, especially considering the two back-to-back Frozen Four games. If the Big Ten Hockey conference did anything good, I think it was bringing more games between Minnesota and Michigan.

This makes me wonder if the Gophers are anybody's biggest rival. We are not Iowa's biggest rival. That title goes to Iowa State by a long shot.

This makes me wonder if the Gophers are anybody's biggest rival. We are not Iowa's biggest rival. That title goes to Iowa State by a long shot.

Are they?

I do know that Minnesota is one of only two Big Ten schools to be the primary in-conference historical rival of two schools. Michigan would be the other (OSU and MSU). A fair argument can be made about who would have that status with Nebraska, if anyone yet. I still consider Nebraska's historic rivals to be Oklahoma and Colorado.

Finally! A Georgia Southern Vote!!!!

At one point my most hated Gopher opponent was Iowa, because the Hawkeyes were good throughout the 1980s when I became a sports fan in general while the Badgers were just okay to really bad in that timeframe. Things switched once Wisconsin turned it all around in 1993. Not only has it upset me that Wisconsin is really good just about every season while also running up that big winning streak to control the Axe for so long, but their fans are just insufferable to a degree most Iowa fans have not been, 2008 excepted of course.

Most Iowa fans I know are pretty cool, including my next door neighbors. The difference is that Iowa fans seem to recognize that other than the Forest Evashevski coached seasons of the 1950s, history for them begins with Hayden Fry. Wisconsin fans behave like they're an Alabama or Ohio State level program that has been a power forever when it's really a span of 1952 to 1962 and then 1993 onward. It is the sense of entitlement that gets me along with claiming a level of success that hasn't been achieved.

Wisconsin is my most hated rival. I was at the U when the Axe drought began. I have many friends who went to Wisconsin that became intolerable trash talkers, partially due to Badger athletic dominance. But also due to the perception that Madison was a tougher school to get admitted to (if you're from Minnesota.) RTB - FTB!!!

I live in Wisc and dislike both the Badgers and Packers. Why? Mainly because many of their fans are extremely arrogant, jerks, boisterous, crude, disrespectful and way over the top. I can't think of any more adjectives but you get my drift.

Going to Iowa City over the years has always been a good experience once you ignore a drunk or two. The fans for the most part have been engaging. Madison is totally different as you have to be constantly on your guard. I have never had a cordial discussion with a Badger fan in Madison. We just keep walking to and from the stadium and keep our mouths shut.

It's a funny thing how some Badgers fans claim to not care about the Gophers and that their eyes are on bigger fish like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, yet they can't stop talking about us or reminding us how much better they have been since college football was invented in 1993.

THANKS, but GSU lost and the Gophers proved the point!:cool:

Top Bottom