Thamel on PJ Fleck: 'He’s not a quack, he may be a genius'

Excellent article. He believes in what he is doing and sticks with it. Also wants to change the culture of the way people think that includes the fans and the players.

That quote was actually from Buzz Williams.

Interesting the NFL scout said he reminded him of Urban Meyer when he was at WMU. And of course the inevitable Dabo comparisons.

Bah your right.....Can’t figure out how to edit the title on my phone. Need to change my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry about it. Thanks for posting the article .Really good. (Besides, highwayman will be along shortly to tell you how to change the title.)

He's an ELITE writer!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great article. I loved Pitino's quotes:

Why Fleck’s approach has worked

Minnesota basketball coach Richard Pitino greeted Fleck with similar skepticism when he arrived on campus. Pitino remembers leaving the building one night and running into Fleck, who immediately made Pitino know how he was doing: “ELITE!”

Pitino remembers thinking to himself as he got in his car: “Am I going to have to listen to this every time I see this guy? Not only is it annoying, but it’s grammatically incorrect.”

Pitino’s roots in the Northeast trend him toward cynical. So you can imagine his reaction when Fleck moved in on the same street. But after a few nights smoking cigars and sipping wine at his backyard fire pit, Pitino warmed to Fleck. Richard and Jill Pitino have grown close to P.J. and Heather Fleck, and the Pitinos have gone through familiar phases of understanding the P.J. Fleck experience: Skepticism to acceptance to full embrace.

“You’re not going to like him if you don’t know him yourself,” Pitino said by phone Tuesday. “But that’s the way that he is all the time. He’s relentlessly positive. He’s a lot more real than you’d think he’d be.”

Pitino said there are parts of Fleck’s coaching mindset that overlap with his father, Hall of Famer Rick Pitino.

“They’re both insanely confident in their plan,” Richard Pitino said. “When you start to coach for a while, you realize there’s a million different ways to do it. You have to believe in what you’re doing. That’s what I’ve taken most from P.J., he believes in it and knows how to sell it.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/pj-flecks-...tive-on-him-he-may-be-a-genius-012329346.html

Go Gophers!!

Really fun read...click on it! Thanks for sharing...

There have been a number of really good stories written this week about the Gophers and Fleck. This one is clearly my favorite.

We should raise our children the way Fleck raises a football program.

Top Bottom