The People at Big Ten Network Get It, and They See Us

No way will we make the playoff if we lose the championship. We can afford a close loss to Iowa or Wisconsin and still get in by winning the conference but no championship game loser has ever made it and MN will not be the one the committee selects to break that trend.

No way will we make the playoff if we lose the championship. We can afford a close loss to Iowa or Wisconsin and still get in by winning the conference but no championship game loser has ever made it and MN will not be the one the committee selects to break that trend.

Right. The way in with one loss is lose to Wisconsin and beat Ohio St in the Big Ten Championship. And if Ohio St is then a 1 loss team, they too will make it and be seeded higher than us even though we just beat them.

A week ago it was, “they haven’t played anyone. Get back to me after they play Penn State.” Now, it’s...”why the hell are Alabama, Oregon, and Utah ranked ahead of Minnesota?” I wasn’t expecting that sharp of a reversal, but the average college football observer now believes we are legit.

I'm fine with Alabama being ranked ahead of the Gophers. I understand they have a loss, but it was a close loss to probably the best team in the country and I understand that the CFP looks at more than just the W-L record (although that is the most important metric obviously) and even with a loss Alabama is objectively a superior team to the Minnesota in basically every way. There is no shame in admitting that. But Utah and Oregon? Those are questionable and indicate to me that the CFP is still hedging their bets about Minnesota and aren't all in yet. That's fine, a lot of football to play.

I'm fine with Alabama being ranked ahead of the Gophers. I understand they have a loss, but it was a close loss to probably the best team in the country and I understand that the CFP looks at more than just the W-L record (although that is the most important metric obviously) and even with a loss Alabama is objectively a superior team to the Minnesota in basically every way. There is no shame in admitting that. But Utah and Oregon? Those are questionable and indicate to me that the CFP is still hedging their bets about Minnesota and aren't all in yet. That's fine, a lot of football to play.

Your points are made holistically when it comes to Alabama, the problem is that Bama does not have one impressive win on their schedule. Yes. their loss was to an obvious great team, but at some point you have to get a win over a top 25 team. IMO the committee should punish the SEC until they schedule a 9th conference game and do away with the November cupcake on most SEC schedules. Alabama plays 3-7 Western Carolina next week

I think you mean "subjectively."

Alabama is an interesting case because:

1. Bluest of the Blue Bloods
2. Saban has proved it in the CFP other years
3. Anytime they have a loss, it's against someone very good.
4. Vegas will continue to back them for 3 years after they fall off any plateau
5. Public perception will back Bama until proven otherwise.

But looking at resumes, MN has the better win.

It could come down to a one loss Bama and a one loss Minnesota.
MN in that case would have beat 4 or 5 of: IA, WI, PSU, OSU, NW.
Alabama will have ha a win against Auburn and TX A&M.

MN resume should be far better at that point, but they won't pass Bama on any of the top 5 factors.

Beat Iowa this week so it gets more interesting next week.

It's funny. From what I've seen, whether it's comments on national media sites or on reddit r/CFB, the national public is solidly behind the Gophers. People with absolutely no affiliation to the state or school are quite vocal that we're getting screwed by the committee right now. Most seem to think we should be #4. I never expected the national perception and public opinion to turn so quickly in favor of Gopher football!

We're on the big stage now. I wouldn't be surprised at 10 million+ households tuning into the game this Saturday on FOX.

It's funny. From what I've seen, whether it's comments on national media sites or on reddit r/CFB, the national public is solidly behind the Gophers. People with absolutely no affiliation to the state or school are quite vocal that we're getting screwed by the committee right now. Most seem to think we should be #4. I never expected the national perception and public opinion to turn so quickly in favor of Gopher football!

We're on the big stage now. I wouldn't be surprised at 10 million+ households tuning into the game this Saturday on FOX.

People love a underdog. The nation will be firmly rooting for us if we were to make it.

Gopher national championship could be one of the very first feel-good stories of 2020 and carry our nation on a wave of hope into the new decade! :)

Gopher national championship could be one of the very first feel-good stories of 2020 and carry our nation on a wave of hope into the new decade! :)

It will be the greatest story in over sixty years - The awakening of a sleeping giant!

It is quite amazing that a P5 with a near 60 year record of futility is where we are right now. Not a Central Michigan, UCF, or even a Boise. To do what the Gophers have done this year in the B1G is something completely different!

Go Gophers!

Yup, and three years from now they'll hate us and bemoan the lack of variety in the CFP with the likes of Clemson, Alabama, OSU, MN, Georgia, and OU making is seemingly every year :)

I have been pretty critical of the Big 10 network in the past. Usually wall to wall Ohio State coverage, steady diet of old Ohio State game reruns, etc. But I have been impressed with the level of coverage they have thrown at the Gophers this year. It seems like the Big Show has long segments related to the Gophers every night.

I wasn't expecting equal coverage when the Gophers were .500 and Ohio State was undefeated in year's past, but just the steady programming of OSU stuff outside of their live shows was very annoying.

We are now the Power 5 version of the great Boise State giant slayer teams. Those teams were rarely given a shot at the glamour teams, relegated to the kids table with TCU, etc. IF the team manages to win out you can bet the nation will be rooting for us to take down Blue Blood team XYZ. The legend and hype will only grow if the guys take down Iowa on the road and then NU, Wisconsin. Unbelievable. What a season. Starting to get really keyed up for Saturday.

Top Bottom