Greatest single season of passing in Gopher history?

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
So, seeing that Tanner was nominated for the O'Brien award got me thinking about how he might end the season if we project forward based on his current averages (I do understand that the future isn't usually a simple projection forward of the present). But, let's do it anyway. :)

Here are Gophers passing records (the first two are all-time records, the rest I could only find stats dating back to 2004) along with Tanner's projected totals for a 13 game season (it is entirely possible we get 14 games this season!):

PASSING YARDS
Adam Weber 2,895 in 2007
Tanner's projected total- 3,033

TOUCHDOWNS
Adam Weber 24 in 2007
Tanner's projected total- 30

COMPLETION %
Adam Weber 62.2% in 2007
Tanner's projected %- 67.9%

QB RTG (ESPN formula)
Brian Cupito 145.9 in 2005
Tanner's projected RTG- 191

Elite company for an elite season. We are likely witnessing Gopher passing history.

Also, we could possibly see 2 1,000 yd. WR's this season as well.

I like to see it associated with a great season instead of a 1-11 season where the team was always playing from behind. So, good stuff all the way around. What a year.

I like to see it associated with a great season instead of a 1-11 season where the team was always playing from behind. So, good stuff all the way around. What a year.

Yep, passing to win as opposed to passing in desperate catch up mode is a beautiful thing.

For reference, here are the stat leader boards for quarterback seasons:
Tanner 1.jpg

Tanner 2.jpg

Think of the numbers Morgan and these receivers could put up if we needed to throw more. They would set records that wouldn’t be broken until.......well maybe 2020....but those records....wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as Tanner Morgan is concerned, anything like a continuation of his current performance makes this year an easy choice for greatest Minnesota passing season ever. At least until next year. By the time he's done, no one will question who the greatest Gopher QB ever is.

But I've been looking at some all-time stats too, and they reminded me why Mitch Leidner, overthrows and all, remains one of my favorite Gophers ever. Move from passing stats to rushing TDs, and who is tied for 3rd all-time with 33 rushing touchdowns? Tied with Marion Barber, Jr., one behind MBIII, one ahead of Maroney, 5 ahead of Rodney (for now). That was Mitch too. Easy pick for toughest, grittiest Gopher QB ever.

One caveat to the historical discussions is whether Bowl games are included. I don’t believe stats from bowl games counted in player season totals unti 2002. Even then, easily the best MN QB passing performance we’ve seen.

So, seeing that Tanner was nominated for the O'Brien award got me thinking about how he might end the season if we project forward based on his current averages (I do understand that the future isn't usually a simple projection forward of the present). But, let's do it anyway. :)

Here are Gophers passing records (the first two are all-time records, the rest I could only find stats dating back to 2004) along with Tanner's projected totals for a 13 game season (it is entirely possible we get 14 games this season!):

PASSING YARDS
Adam Weber 2,895 in 2007

TOUCHDOWNS
Adam Weber 24 in 2007

COMPLETION %
Adam Weber 62.2% in 2007

QB RTG (ESPN formula)

Elite company for an elite season. We are likely witnessing Gopher passing history.

I thought Morgan was already at 2,100 yards. He’s only going to average 155 over the final 6 games?

PASSING YARDS
Adam Weber 2,895 in 2007

TOUCHDOWNS
Adam Weber 24 in 2007

COMPLETION %
Adam Weber 62.2% in 2007

QB RTG (ESPN formula)

< tongue-in-cheek > Wait until we get our starter back

Top Bottom