Let down?

IrishGoph55

Reaction score
Many articles are predicting a let down and loss this week.
I'm nervous, but I don't see Fleck letting us go into this game unprepared.

I do have a stomach ache tho. I can't even work. I just sit and stare at Gopher Hole all day haha

This game actually now makes me pretty nervous. Always tough to play at Iowa. I say let the dream season continue. Fleck will have the boys ready to play and in the right mindset.

I think this will b a hard fought tough game and we will win in a close contest.

A let down?

I'll believe it when I see it.

The way I look at it is before the season started I was hoping for 8-9 wins and a chance to win the west. We're basically playing with house money when it comes to my early hopes. Personally I think the gophers are really good but if they lose a game I'm not going to say they let me down.

I do have a stomach ache tho. I can't even work. I just sit and stare at Gopher Hole all day haha

Same here. I just hit refresh every 5-10 minutes to see what new posts there are.

PJ said in the conference they have a routine they go through where they do their last high fives and stuff about last weekend ... and then on to the next team and they prep like usual.

This team knows Iowa is tough. I don't expect a lack of preparation / emotional preparedness to be a thing.

This is another test of just how different things are - or will be - under Fleck.

Let's face it - under Mason, there were a number of times when the Gophers would win a big game, appear to have momentum, and then they would somehow manage to lose to a lower-ranked opponent. I can't remember the year, but I recall the Gophs winning a big game and then falling apart against Indiana the next week. That is part of the attitude that long-time fans have built up - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

So, let's see how the Gophers handle this newest challenge - higher expectations. In some ways, a win over Iowa would be more meaningful than the Penn State Game - because it would demonstrate that things are truly different - that these are definitely not the "same old Gophers." follow success with more success. We shall see.

Let down?

Have you seen our coach?

It's Iowa, I mean, freaking Iowa!

Floyd is on the line, lots of these players (all of them) have never hoisted Floyd!

There is just no way there should or probably could be a "let down" for this game! The only let down will be by a recent new mother when she hears the Iowa fans crying!

I believe PJ is a master of keeping his players focused and motivated. I'm not concerned about a let down. Iowa will need to be on their A-game to have a chance of beating the Gophers.

As long as the guys Bring It they will have a chance. That's all I ask. The other team is pretty good too.

We're undefeated, field goal underdogs playing for a trophy only one of players has ever touched. I trust Fleck to get the boys ready to play.

I think the Gophers will be ready to play. What concerns me is Iowa is good enough to beat anyone and they have been on the short end of the stick to the tune of 3 losses. They are talented and they will come to play. The game's outcome won't just rest on if the Gophers are playing well. Iowa will have a say in this too.

I don't see us having a letdown. One thing I've been seeing every game since the B1G games have started is that the team has come in well prepared and focused every game. Not saying we can't lose. But if we do, it's because Iowa played better and beat us at the turnover battle, not because our team lacked focus and was unprepared.

I've been worried about this game since before Penn State and am even more so now. A big win like the won over Penn State can be tough to come down from to take care of new business. It's human nature. Iowa is a good team with a strong defense. We haven't won there in 20 years. And while this is obviously irrelevant for the current Gophers team because the players and coaches in the other years are long gone, the Gophers have a history of following up big wins with frustrating losses.

The 1977 team beat #1 Michigan and then lost to Indiana the next week. The 1979 team beat #12 Purdue and then got topped by Michigan. The 1981 team beat #18 Ohio State and then lost to Michigan State. The 1986 team beat #2 Michigan and then lost to Iowa. The 1990 team beat #20 Indiana and then lost to Ohio State which was uncharacteristically unranked at the time. The 1993 team beat #15 Wisconsin and then lost to Illinois. The 1996 team beat #23 Syracuse and then lost to Purdue. The 2000 team beat #6 Ohio State and then lost to Indiana. The 2005 team beat #21 Michigan and then lost to #23 Wisconsin. The 2014 team beat #21 Nebraska and then lost to Wisconsin.

The posts will certainly follow saying that this time it's different. I hope it's different now, but we don't know and while that history means nothing to the current team, it will certainly eat away at me as a fan in the build up to the Iowa game.

I hope you're not an air traffic controller!

Every time I think about a let down, I remind myself of how Fleck coaches and the number of MN kids that are seniors on this team. This team is different.

Fleck will let them down easy by starting to run out the clock in the 2nd quarter.

I am worried about Iowa, not because of a let down, but it is a rivalry game and in rivalry games anything can happen. Iowa could just show up with a chip on their shoulder ready to play. They are still have players and they are a decent team. Not the best Iowa team, but definitely not the worst either.

The let down game is Northwestern. Sandwiched between Penn State/Iowa and Wisconsin is Northwestern. I feel like whenever Gopher football/basketball plays at Northwestern we just play bad. It will be really easy to look past Northwestern because it is a game we should win.

I am worried about Iowa, not because of a let down, but it is a rivalry game and in rivalry games anything can happen. Iowa could just show up with a chip on their shoulder ready to play. They are still have players and they are a decent team. Not the best Iowa team, but definitely not the worst either.

The let down game is Northwestern. Sandwiched between Penn State/Iowa and Wisconsin is Northwestern. I feel like whenever Gopher football/basketball plays at Northwestern we just play bad. It will be really easy to look past Northwestern because it is a game we should win.

Yeah but have you watched Northwestern? Their defense isn't horrible but they might not get a 1st down against us.

I believe PJ is a master of keeping his players focused and motivated. I'm not concerned about a let down. Iowa will need to be on their A-game to have a chance of beating the Gophers.

Iowa will have to score 30+ to win this game. Think that’s going to happen? Nope.

I’d love to see the fans leaving for the exits mid-3rd quarter.

The biggest thing we have going for us is fleck having gone though a special season with a undefeated regular season team. WMU accomplished something their school hadn’t done ever. They got on a roll and stayed there like we are doing right now. How long it lasts who knows? If your worried about Iowa think about how great it is that we’ve earned this meaningful of a game at this point of the season.

Iowa will have to score 30+ to win this game. Think that’s going to happen? Nope.

I’d love to see the fans leaving for the exits mid-3rd quarter.

Agreed. The rest of this thread :clap:is just "Grow a pair will you!!"

The Empire class has never won the
If. There will be no let down. This with be a tough hard fought game. I do expect the Gophers to pull it. Something like 20-10.

Still going with the flip side for this game. We are not going to see a let down we are going to see the program take the final step towards proving to people that we are for real.

If we put some points on the board early in this one we will roll. Just have to play smart and avoid mistakes, something this team has been very good at doing since the conference season started. Nobody has held us under 28 yet....if we get to a number like that the Iowa offense is going to have a really hard time keeping up against our defense.

Rankings aside, I consider Iowa and Wisconsin to be our peer group and the games against them to be evenly matched. They've been ranked higher than the Gophers for the whole year up to this point, and that could still go back. In that perspective, it makes sense that the Hawkeyes are favored by Vegas. I wouldn't really consider it a letdown if the Gophs lost.

A "let down"?

Against Iowa????????

I can't even picture it.

I'm not saying the idea that Iowa might beat us is preposterous, but I would be astounded if this Gophers team wasn't completely amped up for this game. They know what's at stake.

Top Bottom