Signings 2020 Class

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great ! WI. is Gopher women's BB territory. Does anybody know if Hedman has any baby Shaq in her game ?

All accounted for.

So, does the Gophers have an extra unused scholie?

They should go after a good JC post player.

Minnesota's three-person recruiting class is ranked No. 18 in the country by ESPN, the team's highest ranking since at least the 2012 class.

"Alexia Smith (No. 46) is a physical point guard who has a remarkable ability to finish plays in traffic," reads ESPN's recap of Minnesota's class. "The Gophers also have No. 75 Erin Hedman, a 6-3 post player who is a workhorse on the glass, and Caroline Strande, an agile guard who manufactures her own shots."

Did the title of this thread get changed from Signings 2019? I think I may have created a monster! ;)

FWIW: The Gopher class slips to #20 thanks to Rutgers and North Carolina (Deja Kelly).

Still, the early period did impact the rankings.
By landing No. 8 prospect Hailey Van Lith, Louisville jumped from No. 14 to No. 5. Rutgers went from unranked to No. 8 thanks to sixth-ranked prospect Diamond Johnson. And North Carolina climbed into the top 20 by landing Deja Kelly, the 17th-ranked prospect who chose the Tar Heels over Notre Dame.

B1G Teams

9 Rutgers
15 Michigan
17 Iowa
18 Ohio State
19 Purdue
20 Minnesota

The journey for the Gophers WBB to the Big Ten title is just beginning...

Erin Hedman news:

New Berlin Eisenhower 62, Stoughton 36
The Vikings struggled offensively in a nonconference road loss to the Lions on Friday, Nov. 22.
Zaemisch scored a team-high five points to lead Stoughton. Loftus, Marggi and Mayayla each added four points.
Eisenhower forward Erin Hedman scored a game-high 21 points (including four 3-pointers), grabbed six rebounds and had nine blocks. The Lions raced out to a 36-15 lead at the half.

Caroline Strande news:

Last year’s All-County girls basketball Player of the Year picked up right where she left off on Thursday night.
And the rest of her team didn’t look too shabby, either.

Racine Lutheran High School senior Caroline Strande scored 33 points and Morgann Gardner added 25 as the Crusaders rolled to a 93-65 season-opening win over Case at Case.

Lutheran (1-0) broke a close game late in the first half and led 52-33 at halftime. Strande, the reigning Player of the Year who recently committed to the University of Minnesota, had 20 points in the first half and Gardner had 19.

Caroline Strande drops 45.

The Wilmot girls basketball team had no answer for Racine Lutheran’s Caroline Strande on Friday night.
In the Panthers’ defense, nobody else does, either.

Strande, a 5-foot-11 senior guard who recently signed a National Letter of Intent to play at the University of Minnesota, poured in 45 points in the host Crusaders’ 90-68 non-conference victory.

Strande, who received All-State accolades last season and was named the Racine County Player of the Year, has led Racine Lutheran to a 9-0 record and a No. 3 ranking in Division-4 in the latest WisSports.net state coaches poll.

She’s averaging 37.7 points per game this season, which ranks second in the state according to WisSports.net.

Some Alexia Smith highlights. In the January 4th game they come toward the end.

Racine Lutheran senior Caroline Strande averaged 29.4 points per game as a junior and that number has taken a jump through 11 games this season. The 5-foot-11 Minnesota signee is second in the state in scoring with 37.5 points per game. Strande has scored over 40 points in four games this season, including a career-best 45 points in a win over Wilmot a couple weeks ago. She currently has 2,070 career points. Strande is also sixth in the state in assists (6.2) and fourth in steals (6) per game.

She looks mobile for a big, would like to see some clips of her post D.... we have to get more physical up front (without losing athleticism) especially with Bello moving on next year.
Ive seen Hedman play quite a bit, I'm a big fan of her game. She moves well and has long arms, gonna have to get stronger but she has all the tools. Offensively she's more of a stretch 4/5, shooting 43% from 3 on 67 attempts this year in hs. Always hard for bigs to contribute early in the big ten but she should be able to.

Great job coach Carly, can’t wait to see them in Gophers uniforms

We've got some firepower coming!

Alexia Smith 10TV athlete of the week. Alexia speaks about her decision to come to Minnesota.

Alexia Smith plays basketball for Africentric as well as volleyball and track.
She has a 3.6 GPA and will attend the University of Minnesota on a full basketball scholarship.

Alexia Smith has kind of an Odyssey Sims look to her. Not sure of her game.

Could they have another two PG system next year?

Loading up on guards and then not starting the right ones has been kind of an ongoing issue.

Not sure what you mean. They currently start four guards, and have for most of the season. Masha is the only other non-big on the roster, and I'm not sure I consider her a guard. While Powell didn't start in the beginning of the season, as a freshman, she probably wasn't ready. And now, even though she's putting up nice numbers, it's evident she has a lot to learn - too much dribbling, not seeing or looking for open teammates.

Not sure what you mean. They currently start four guards, and have for most of the season.

That’s a problem too.

Masha is the only other non-big on the roster, and I'm not sure I consider her a guard.

You should because that’s what she is.

While Powell didn't start in the beginning of the season, as a freshman, she probably wasn't ready.

From what I saw she was.

And now, even though she's putting up nice numbers, it's evident she has a lot to learn - too much dribbling, not seeing or looking for open teammates.

I’m sure she’s playing whatever style that she’s being taught. She was an assist leader early on off of the bench. Refer to the Most Valuable Freshman topic.

Top Bottom