Is Nebraska football too far gone, even for Scott Frost?

Scott Frost has already proven himself by winning a national championship as a head coach. Nebraska has the resources, administrative support, and a large enough fan base to never be considered, "too far gone." What a silly proposition by ESPN.

Oh hotdish, you're so silly

Scott Frost has already proven himself by winning a national championship as a head coach. Nebraska has the resources, administrative support, and a large enough fan base to never be considered, "too far gone." What a silly proposition by ESPN.

Didn’t happen. Fantasy and fiction.

Nebraska will never find its way back to where it was. Delusional fans think 10-11 wins a year and major bowls and playoffs every year. They should hope for 8 and an occasional division title. But they won’t.

I actually like Frost/Nebraska a lot more than most posters (I’m too young to remember when they were dominate) but what struck me from the article is that Frost is trying to make it ‘97 again. It seems like football generally, but especially the kids playing would not respond to that kind of attitude. I found it really archaic for them to be celebrating a brawl in practice.

A really smart observation.

The Tom Osborne thing is also rather different... by that I mean, having a coach from back in the glory days hanging around all the time, and Frost basically admitting he (Frost) is trying to do it the exact same way as Osborn did 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Agreed 100%.

An old computer ranking that was used in the early days of the BCS, had UCF ranked #1, and they seized upon that to make a false claim of a national championship.

It's not too far gone but this generation of recruits has never seen Nebraska be great. There's no natural recruiting base. It's a meh location. It's a job he can win at, for sure, but the natural advantages are mostly gone and it won't be easy. If they don't do it all right they will be behind Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa which would mean firing.

Nebby absolutely can win big again. Amazing facilities, rich history, passionate fan base, supportive administration. They have found out that the BiG is tough, they will adjust. It's all about finding the right coach and system. I still think Frost is as good of a selection as anyone. Will they be OSU? No. Wisky or even Michigan? I think so.

No, the NCAA doesn’t “recognize” it. That page is from a list of sources that named a national champion. The Miami paper article was merely pandering. UCF is not a recognized national champion.

UCF is a recognized national champion, they are in the NCAA record book as a national champion for 2017

Agreed 100%.

An old computer ranking that was used in the early days of the BCS, had UCF ranked #1, and they seized upon that to make a false claim of a national championship.

under this logic we should disavow the 1904 national championship because an old computer ranking (billingsley) was our only selector for national champion.

under this logic we should disavow the 1904 national championship because an old computer ranking (billingsley) was our only selector for national champion.

That is completely different. Back then there was no means by which to designate a Champion besides various rankings...these days there are. Apples and Oranges is being kind...

you all may not want to believe this, but there is a real chance that minnesota can go undefeated and not make the playoffs. if that is the case and minnesota wins the rose bowl game, that would bring up the opportunity for minnesota to claim another championship. hell, that could even bring up the scenario where the ap or coaches poll or both rank minnesota post season number one.

i guarantee the name of this board would change and people around here would gladly accept another championship.

you all may not want to believe this, but there is a real chance that minnesota can go undefeated and not make the playoffs. if that is the case and minnesota wins the rose bowl game, that would bring up the opportunity for minnesota to claim another championship. hell, that could even bring up the scenario where the ap or coaches poll or both rank minnesota post season number one.

i guarantee the name of this board would change and people around here would gladly accept another championship.
Won't happen. To go undefeated we would have to beat tOSU or PSU again in the B1G Chipper. No way we would miss the playiff in that case. If we were sitting at #15 maybe.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

That is completely different. Back then there was no means by which to designate a Champion besides various rankings...these days there are. Apples and Oranges is being kind...

Correct.

In 2017 the national champion was the winner of the CFP. Only.

There was no such thing back in 1904.

Sorry but you’re wrong.

13-0, Big Ten champ, beating Ohio State, is *guaranteed* in the CFP. Literally zero chance of being left out.

Now the more interesting scenarios are if we go 12-0 and then lose to 12-0 Ohio St, or if we go 11-1 and then beat Ohio St. In the latter, I think it depends when we lose.

Correct. All that shows is that the NCAA is listing the fact that some old ranking algorithm that was used in an old system, happened to rank UCF #1. Facts end there. Claiming a national championship from that, when the CFP was in place, is purely false.

That is a listing of information. The NCAA doesn't officially recognize any national champions in FBS.

Correct. The NCAA Division 1 Football Championship currently belongs to NDSU.

There is a chance that could happen, but it is slight. The chances of an undefeated Big Ten Champ not making the CFP are miniscule and would cause quite the fallout. The Big Ten is not the Pac12. (or even the Big XII)

And no I would not count that as a title. If you dont play in the "tournament" you cant claim a championship. That is ludicrous. Under those rules ANYONE could claim a title. There is no point to the CFP if a title can be split. Might as well go back to the original system.

Top Bottom