The Iowa Perspective: How the Hawkeye experts are seeing it

Will be a tough game, but this was an interesting take:

Iowa’s chances of winning the Big Ten went out the window for all intents and purposes with last week’s loss at Wisconsin. That reduced the stakes for them in this matchup to playing spoiler.

I think that helps the Hawkeyes and serves as an advantage in this contest.

I don't get how losing last week and being out of the running for the West helps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From the article:

TRENDS
-Minnesota is 7-0 Against The Spread in its last 7 conference games.
-Over is 6-2 in Golden Gophers last 8 games overall.
-Iowa is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games following a straight up loss.
-Under is 6-1-1 in Hawkeyes last 8 games overall.

I don't get how losing last week and being out of the running for the West helps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Hawkeye forum reported Ferentz things Stanley is playing tight. He wants him to play loose. My guess is they are hoping Stanley will play better with less pressure. This will be a big game, I dont see Stanley being able to relax.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Hawkeye forum reported Ferentz things Stanley is playing tight. He wants him to play loose. My guess is they are hoping Stanley will play better with less pressure. This will be a big game, I dont see Stanley being able to relax.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fleck embraces pressure, says you've earned it. Ferentz runs away from it, says it's something to avoid. I gotta go with Fleck on this one.

The only way Iowa wins the west is if they beat the Gophers, Illinois and Nebraska, plus the Gophers lose to Northwestern and Wisconsin plus Wisconsin loses to Nebraska and Purdue. Iowa could be eliminated by the kickoff time. If Wisconsin beats Nebraska in the early game, Iowa is eliminated. That's going to take some wind out of their sails. With a Wisconsin win, there could be a 3-way tie, but Wisconsin would win the tiebreaker, having beaten both Iowa and Minnesota.

On the other hand, if Wisconsin loses to Nebraska, Iowa is virtually eliminated, as even if they beat the Gophers, still have to hope that Northwestern beats the Gophers, Purdue beats Wisconsin and Wisconsin beats the Gophers. So it's quite a spin to claim that having been eliminated (or virtually eliminated) right at kickoff is going to help motivate them.

These guys spend the whole article making a case for the Gophers to win.

Just to pick Iowa. Lol!

Go Gophers!

These guys spend the whole article making a case for the Gophers to win.

Just to pick Iowa. Lol!

Go Gophers!

Haha -- you are correct!! I went with Minnesota by the opposite score -- WINNING 27-24 before I ever saw this article. I think the game goes OVER the totals at 44.5. Even though Iowa appears to be more of a defensive team, Minnesota is going to score and Iowa is going to have to amp up their offense to compete. If they are kicking FG's, they will most likely get left behind. Iowa will throw a lot to their TE's . Iowa also likes to go with their base defense but look out for A.J. Epenesa who is a DE who will probably be drafted in the NFL and is their best pass rusher.

From a Minnesota perspective, this seems like a game that will be similar to Penn State as far as preparation.

Nate Stanley is very similar to Sean Clifford but less of a running threat. Penn State has the better offense overall so if Minnesota can execute on defense like they have been doing for several weeks, I think they will be just fine. Minnesota will need to tackle better than they did against Penn State.

Iowa defense is slightly better than Penn State in regards to total defense, however, Penn State has a better rush defense while Iowa has a better pass defense.

Minnesota just needs to play their game and establish the run. If Iowa shuts down the run, then you put the ball in the hands of Morgan, Bateman, Johnson and Autman-Bell. The higher the scoring game, the better the chances are for a Minnesota win.

Linkebackers should be able to drop more into coverage and harass the TEs without the QB run threat. Kamal likely to have a big game right away in his return to action...hope he's actually healthy.

Anyone remember Kamal's interception vs Iowa as a true Freshman in 2016? It was a very athletic one handed top of his jump kind of catch. Unfortunately the Gopher offense just could not get stuff going that game.

Minnesota 38, Iowa 13

This was my prediction on the “Predict the score” thread. Their defense has not seen a team as explosive offensively as ours yet. You could argue Penn State was, but I don’t PSU is quite as good as us offensively. We’re on too much of a roll to let Iowa stand in the way. Kinnick Stadium or at home, I don’t see us making too many costly mistakes. I think we’ve only been getting better each week. If anything I think we’ll look even more solid than we did against PSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way Iowa wins the west is if they beat the Gophers, Illinois and Nebraska, plus the Gophers lose to Northwestern and Wisconsin plus Wisconsin loses to Nebraska and Purdue. Iowa could be eliminated by the kickoff time. If Wisconsin beats Nebraska in the early game, Iowa is eliminated. That's going to take some wind out of their sails. With a Wisconsin win, there could be a 3-way tie, but Wisconsin would win the tiebreaker, having beaten both Iowa and Minnesota.

On the other hand, if Wisconsin loses to Nebraska, Iowa is virtually eliminated, as even if they beat the Gophers, still have to hope that Northwestern beats the Gophers, Purdue beats Wisconsin and Wisconsin beats the Gophers. So it's quite a spin to claim that having been eliminated (or virtually eliminated) right at kickoff is going to help motivate them.

They don’t need motivation to win this game. It’s a rivalry game.

The idea was that with the conf title off the table, they won’t feel pressured not to screw up. They won’t have to play to not lose. They can play to win.

Still a bit dubious, don’t get me wrong.

I'm pretty sure Iowa just wants to beat us. Regardless of what their season outcome will be.

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom