Keep the faith

So far I'm concerned in a bad way. We shoot the three ball with zero success, cannot get any bench production and turn the ball over wayyyy too much. Hope it's just growing pains. I really do...

We were 13/29 from 3 in our first game (44.8%). Appears you just watched your first game and think that's all you need to see.

We were 13/29 from 3 in our first game (44.8%). Appears you just watched your first game and think that's all you need to see.

Not to play the who we played card, but Cleveland State is trash. The last two games against stiffer competition has not been good. And, a lot of it (hopefully) has been due to learning the new offense. A lot of wide open misses though.

Do you have the stats vs Oklahoma and Butler? Total of all three?

Not to play the who we played card, but Cleveland State is trash. The last two games against stiffer competition has not been good. And, a lot of it (hopefully) has been due to learning the new offense. A lot of wide open misses though.

We played some trash teams last year and didn't shoot like that. Either way, you're still judging based on a 2 game sample size. We both know you shouldn't draw conclusions on 3 point shooting from a sample size that small.

Do you have the stats vs Oklahoma and Butler? Total of all three?

Through 3 games, Gophers are 27 of 84 (32.1%). Only Willis (10 of 28, 35.7%) and Oturu (2 of 4, 50%) are shooting greater than 35% from 3.

They're 14 of 55 (25.5%) vs. the two high-major opponents.

Last edited:

Other teams struggle at the beginning of the year too. Kentucky, the #1 team, just lost to Evansville.

We don't know how good/bad this team is yet. We have 7 new players who need some time to gel and we are being thrown in the deep end right off the bat. We also haven't seen Ihnen yet.

No, his post was talking about roster depth.

Please, share it now.

I doubt we'd get to the 12th choice like Pitino was. Hoiberg would've taken it, most any non power 5 guy will take it. Program is in better standing with the state resources are better and the a competent AD who is willing to support you when earned. The job is better now.

Through 3 games, Gophers are 27 of 84 (32.1%). Only Willis (10 of 28, 35.7%) and Oturu (2 of 4, 50%) are shooting greater than 35% from 3.

They're 14 of 55 (25.5%) vs. the two high-major opponents.

They've shot poorly and are still shooting at a better clip than last year's team. This team will not continue this. Gabe won't shoot 30% this year, Marcus Carr is a better shooter than Coffee and will not continue shooting 25% from 3 either. The dude didn't play a live game for a year, give him 5 games before we pass full judgement.

We will improve as the year goes on. Too early to panic.
We will improve. You are correct. Will the improvement result in an NCAA invite to the tournament? I will be pleasantly surprised if it does.
It sure would help if Ihnen (sp) were healthy so we could see what he can do.

The thing is, our roster is nearly all underclassmen.

Seniors: Hurt, Demir
Juniors: Willis (I'd put money on Curry being done for his career)
Sophomores: Oturu, Kalscheur, Carr, Omersa
Freshmen: Williams, Greenlee, Freeman, Ihnen

Other than Willis, all of our major contributors so far this season are freshmen and sophomores. There is a LOT of room for growth, both this season and the next couple seasons.

I agree, I would rather we get punched in the mouth now than in the B1G.
Good post

We will improve. You are correct. Will the improvement result in an NCAA invite to the tournament? I will be pleasantly surprised if it does.
It sure would help if Ihnen (sp) were healthy so we could see what he can do.

He is now. He was cleared, so we should have a chance to see what he can do very soon. Not sure how much he has been practicing, so maybe he needs more time before he gets in a game.

So is Pitino just the unluckiest coach in the P6??

Why doesn’t this seem to happen as often at other equivalent programs?

What is "this"? Losing two non-conference games to P6 competition with seven new players? Also worth noting the most talented hasn't even seen the court yet.....

I'm suggesting roster turnover to graduation and NBA defection leads to up and down years based on roster compilation. All the talent on this roster is in the freshman and sophomore classes and/or just signed today for next year. Not many lower half P6 teams win big with that roster compilation. The ceiling for next year is much higher than this year (IMO) and should be viewed that way from an expectation standpoint.

The Mason/Murphy/Coffey era went to two NCAA tournaments and had one win. (would have been three years if not for a very unlucky run of injuries and the Lynch situation, but it goes on the record as two appearances). That isn't great obviously, but it certainly isn't markedly worse than the last fifty years of Gopher basketball. If that isn't good enough....I can certainly listen to that argument. It's all the nonsense about "Year Seven" is what I'm reacting to.

I doubt we'd get to the 12th choice like Pitino was. Hoiberg would've taken it, most any non power 5 guy will take it. Program is in better standing with the state resources are better and the a competent AD who is willing to support you when earned. The job is better now.

List your top 5 names.

What is "this"? Losing two non-conference games to P6 competition with seven new players? Also worth noting the most talented hasn't even seen the court yet.....

I'm suggesting roster turnover to graduation and NBA defection leads to up and down years based on roster compilation. All the talent on this roster is in the freshman and sophomore classes and/or just signed today for next year. Not many lower half P6 teams win big with that roster compilation. The ceiling for next year is much higher than this year (IMO) and should be viewed that way from an expectation standpoint.

The Mason/Murphy/Coffey era went to two NCAA tournaments and had one win. (would have been three years if not for a very unlucky run of injuries and the Lynch situation, but it goes on the record as two appearances). That isn't great obviously, but it certainly isn't markedly worse than the last fifty years of Gopher basketball. If that isn't good enough....I can certainly listen to that argument. It's all the nonsense about "Year Seven" is what I'm reacting to.

Exactly who is it that is more talented than Daniel?

They've shot poorly and are still shooting at a better clip than last year's team. This team will not continue this. Gabe won't shoot 30% this year, Marcus Carr is a better shooter than Coffee and will not continue shooting 25% from 3 either. The dude didn't play a live game for a year, give him 5 games before we pass full judgement.

They better move the ball much, much better than the past 2 games if your prediction is to come true. They will most likely shoot at a better % in the weaker non con games. Count me as very concerned about shooting against the top 10 teams in the conference.

Exactly who is it that is more talented than Daniel?

Oturu isn't one of the seven new players. I'm talking about Ihnen and basing that comment strictly from comments made about him after his recruitment. He may or may not be the best new player and really wasn't the primary point I was trying to make in this post.

Well, I think this team is not a tournament team. Which I thought at the beginning of the year. And that's fine. This is a young team, and next year, they'll be much better. Overreacting to having an off year after a nice tournament win last year isn't reasonable based on the history of the program in my opinion. They weren't going to be great this year, because everybody is new. And if Curry and Coffey were here, we'd be a legitimately competitive team in the big ten. They're not, it'll be a down year, it happens. If next year is down, then we can start talking about a new coach, imo.

Why is it nonsense? It is year 7 and exactly what has Pitino done that he should continued to be given the benefit of the doubt? Of course there is up and down years but generally there is some level of consistency within those ups and downs. Pitino hasn't achieved any type of consistency. He hasn't had 2 consecutive good years in a row.

They way your post is phrased you seem to believe this will be another down year. Pretty simple question if this is another down year why should Pitino be given next year?

Last edited:

Why is it nonsense? It is year 7 and exactly what has Pitino done that he should continued to be given the benefit of the doubt? Of course there is up and down years but generally there is some level of consistency within those ups and downs. Pitino hasn't achieved any type of consistency. He hasn't had 2 consecutive good years in a row.

They way your post is phrased you seem to believe this will be another down year. Pretty simple question if this is another down year why should Pitino be given next year?

Please go away.

Well, 2 years ago the team was ranked #12 prior to the Lynch suspension and Coffey injury. Had that not happened, it would've been 3 straight tournaments. If you want to blame Pitino for that, by all means go ahead. I do not, however.

What is your realistic list of coaches that would be able to come in and immediately win consistently year after year?

Pitino hasn't shown anything other than the ability to be nothing but ups and downs year after year. There is no consistency to the program. The program isn't any better off since he took over. Year 7 and there is not one thing you can point to that the team does well.

Stop with the excuses for a coach that has one winning conference season to go with one NCAA win as just the normal ups and downs.

same rambling from you every year..... it gets old.. we get it...you don't care for RP

Can't say it enough....the Gophers literally have no frontcourt. They have ONE player who can do anything consistently in the paint.

No matter how good the guard play might eventually get, the team is incomplete and won't be able to be competitive against other teams that aren't guard heavy. I really want this team to do well, but they just don't have on the roster right now, the physical size required to win against respectable teams.

Can't say it enough....the Gophers literally have no frontcourt. They have ONE player who can do anything consistently in the paint.

No matter how good the guard play might eventually get, the team is incomplete and won't be able to be competitive against other teams that aren't guard heavy. I really want this team to do well, but they just don't have on the roster right now, the physical size required to win against respectable teams.

How can we "literally have no front court" when our center is a future first round pick who just put up an efficient 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks? Our best player by far is "literally" one of our front court players.

How can we "literally have no front court" when our center is a future first round pick who just put up an efficient 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks? Our best player by far is "literally" one of our front court players.

It's ONE guy. On a team of 14, thats an individual which does not a front court make.

Lot of unwarranted hate for the team so early in the season... the anti-Pitino club is having an absolute field day.

How quick everyone is to forget that our best player not only left a year early, but shafted Pitino by taking his decision to the last effing day. Hard to replace a guy when you don't know he's leaving.

Imo we should use this season to develop Ihnen and Williams primarily. Williams looks like he'll be legit in a year or two and I really want to see Ihnen play. We have a very young team. The sooner Coyle and everyone here understands this the better off we'll be next year.

What about on teams of 13 scholarship players?

My point is that until they have more depth beyond guards and wings, its not realistic for them to compete with teams who do. I don't hate this team, i've watched them since the late 80's and i want them to do well. I think some of the guys will end up being really good...I just don't see it as possible this season, and/or until there are bigger bodies on the roster.

If this team just had Coffey, they'd be 3-0. The harsh truth is that his leaving early and essentially not being replaced is probably too much for this team to overcome. I'd like to be wrong.

This 100%. Add to it the fact you lost one of the better rebounding power forwards to ever play at this school and right now he is being replaced by a stiff and you can see
where the team is at. Going forward, I would bench the guy they started last night at the 4 and just use another guard.

Carr will get better as he gets more comfortable. He still is, IMO, key #1 in this teams chances of having any success. He has to control the ball a bit better and flat out, we need him to score.

Kalsheur just is not really a scorer, he is streaky. Oturo will get his, the rest look like role players. The one thing I was impressed with last night. THIS TEAM PLAYS DEFENSE. Big time. They looked like they were giving
a ton of effort and that will keep them in game.

That said, Butler didn't look very good at all last night. I am hoping once this team grows a bit, we can dispatch teams like this easily.

with omersa on the court it is 4 guys against 5 on offense....

And Pitino has to own that. We couldn't realistically account for Coffey leaving early even though he wasn't going to get drafted. That sucks, but it happened. But we've known Jordan Murphy was graduating for 4 years. And Pitino whiffed on replacing him adequately. Omersa's an OK bench player but he probably shouldn't start and Demir...woof.

Top Bottom