Keep the faith

Agreed. But what's a realistic bar to expect this team to clear? The NCAA's are huge reach. I'll say 15-15 or better.

Yeah, 15-15 or better might be good enough.

My bad, I missed that you asked me of this. If we are talking about who I think we could get that I would want most? I do tiers more than lists and I am big on the right fits.

Home Run Hires
Craig Smith
Mike Rhoades
T.J. Otzelberger
Thad Matta

Guys who could be there that I just don't know enough about yet
Nathan Davis
Steve Forbes- I know about his involvement with the Pearl Scandal so that's what scares me with him
Travis DeCuire
Jamion Christian
Niko Medved

Assistants Who I like, but I typically prefer to hire guys with recent HC Experience
Dane Fife
Tom Ostrom
Stan Johnson

Who is on the "cant get" list, other than the obvious?

Who is on the "cant get" list, other than the obvious?

My list of top NCAA coaches currently are:

Chris Beard, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, Chris Holtmann, and Bob Huggins (I've always over-appreciated him and am aware of my bias). Ed Cooley is another one who is vastly underrated that we would not be able to get as well

John Beilein used to be on the top here, but he's now in the NBA. I also have previously loved the idea of Ryan Saunders even though I don't care to reach into the NBA. Hope that's answering the question? I think if we were to switch it up, you always hear some people pull out ridiculous names like Saunders, Brad Stevens, etc...

Last edited:

Yeah, 15-15 or better might be good enough.

Sad if that is good enough. I still believe this roster is good. We defend too well to only win 15 games. I'm of the mind that the only maybe unwinnable games in the big 10 will be MSU and OSU. It's a crapshoot from there and I like our roster still. Growth will come.

How do you know the Gophers have better players than Utah? Utah didn't seem very good last year but they had 3 consecutive NBA 1st round picks from 2015 through 2017 so they are capable of attracting some pretty good players.

I do not know that we have better players. I have the opinion that we do. Utah is not a highly regarded team. the players you mentioned are not there anymore.

If I recall correctly, I asked 1984. In response to his post. I am now attacked by built. Did I do that correctly, built?

And now you jumped in, doing EXACTLY what you always do - recite RP's conference record. Yet you are always the victim of an attacking poster, badger. Your slant is clear to me and others built.

I don't have a top 4. That is YOUR area, right? How many times have you posted about your knowledge, skills, and experience with all things college BB?

A list serves a lot of purposes. YOU have repeatedly said there is always a list of top coaches. Lay it out. If you dare.

Only my opinions. never said I was an expert. Only shared from my my opinion based on my experiences. Last year there was a list posted. I like the list posted in this thread. Do you think there are any coaches better than Pitino ? Fine by me if you think he is the best. I am still here supporting this team, this coach. The record I cite is a fact.

Chris Beard, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, Chris Holtmann, and Bob Huggins (I've always over-appreciated him and am aware of my bias). Ed Cooley is another one who is vastly underrated that we would not be able to get as well

John Beilein used to be on the top here, but he's now in the NBA. I also have previously loved the idea of Ryan Saunders even though I don't care to reach into the NBA. Hope that's answering the question? I think if we were to switch it up, you always hear some people pull out ridiculous names like Saunders, Brad Stevens, etc...

Thank you.

LOVE Beilein. And Beard. Not a big Few fan. TB is obviously a great coach. Love Huggy as well.

Interesting take on Cooley. Why do you think he would not be interested in this Big 10 job? Just curious.

Only my opinions. never said I was an expert. Only shared from my my opinion based on my experiences. Last year there was a list posted. I like the list posted in this thread. Do you think there are any coaches better than Pitino ? Fine by me if you think he is the best. I am still here supporting this team, this coach. The record I cite is a fact.

You tout your decades long involvement so yes, you have intimated strongly you are an expert. You just ride the fence with qualifiers such as "only my opinions". These are facts you ignore.

Are there coaches better than RP? Of course. I have never, ever said otherwise.

Your on the attack built BADGER. Something YOU whined about repeatedly. Hypocrisy much?

Really fun that a poster - 1984 - has no issue with laying it out. And yet our very own badger boy wont. Telling.

A fine list, except Huggins. Ew. Outside of Calipari, there's no one else I would less want to coach the Gophers. We'd be in sanctions in no time.

A fine list, except Huggins. Ew. Outside of Calipari, there's no one else I would less want to coach the Gophers. We'd be in sanctions in no time.

He's way past his Cincinnati days. He takes on tough characters, but he has the personality to help them grow. He hasn't had any sanctions put on him in West Virginia, so that's not fair. I put him in my top 5 of my favorite coaches, but he's by no way probably a fit for MN. I just really enjoy how hard his guys play and I enjoy him personally. He's himself and true to who he is. He's honestly a pretty good person from the one time I got to meet him. I don't like Cal, but if he wanted to come here I'd take him in a heartbeat. He's a lot better of a basketball coach than he gets credit for.

Thank you.

LOVE Beilein. And Beard. Not a big Few fan. TB is obviously a great coach. Love Huggy as well.

Interesting take on Cooley. Why do you think he would not be interested in this Big 10 job? Just curious.

I think he'd do Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State or Indiana. He's a big Northeast guy. I don't think he'd be interested in the U even though I personally think it's a better job than Providence.

I think he'd do Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State or Indiana. He's a big Northeast guy. I don't think he'd be interested in the U even though I personally think it's a better job than Providence.

OK, thank you.

What are your thoughts on the guy at Florida? At times he seems great and at other times I feel he doesn't get it "all" out of the talent he has on the team.

OK, thank you.

What are your thoughts on the guy at Florida? At times he seems great and at other times I feel he doesn't get it "all" out of the talent he has on the team.

Haven't watched him enough, but everything I read or hear is he's good. Seems like he's good x's and o'x wise and his Florida teams play hard in the games I've watched. I think he preaches Defense first which I like. Don't know where he'd leave Florida for even though the job isn't necessarily a blueblood. In the Texas category for me job wise. Money and resources, but not necessarily a basketball culture. Who knows

Haven't watched him enough, but everything I read or hear is he's good. Seems like he's good x's and o'x wise and his Florida teams play hard in the games I've watched. I think he preaches Defense first which I like. Don't know where he'd leave Florida for even though the job isn't necessarily a blueblood. In the Texas category for me job wise. Money and resources, but not necessarily a basketball culture. Who knows

I don't see anyone leaving Florida for MN. They have $$ and are still arguably the 2nd or 3rd best job in the SEC, even if it is usually not a great basketball conference. It would take big $$. If we're going that route, we could see if Billy Donovan is bored with the NBA yet.

Donovan won't take Minnesota as he's tight with Pitino similar to Few with Monson years ago. I know Cooley was involved with the Michigan opening but don't remember if they chose Howard or Cooley removed himself from consideration/used them for a raise at Providence/etc.

I do think it's instructive to look at the hires Coyle has made: Fleck/Whalen/Motzko: he clearly goes for candidates that will generate a buzz and so far has landed them quickly and rather quietly. I know he has a background with Calipari so he might lean on him for a recommendation. I kind of feel like he has someone in mind who wasn't available last year which would explain why he didn't take Hoiberg and signed Pitino to the basically fake extension.

My short list:

-Eric Musselman
-Craig Smith
-Shaka Smart
-Ben Howland
-Niko Medved

Defend your gym against DePaul and Clemson and you'll still have a shot.

Anything less than 2-0 = wave the white flag time.

One shred of hope you can cling to is the old "lots of turnover/players learning to play together" explanation. You're losing relatively close games on the road. That Oklahoma game is one that got away.

Last edited:

I don't know anything about Clemson, but I watched DePaul crush Iowa last Monday night. This appears to be the best DePaul team in some time. Yes, I know that's not saying a lot but they looked athletic, balanced and good to me. I don't think we will win that game.

A thread titled keep the faith full of who's on your list of coaching candidates. [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know that we have better players. I have the opinion that we do. Utah is not a highly regarded team. the players you mentioned are not there anymore.

And we are not a highly regarded team. They were picked 9 of 12 in their conference and a number have picked us 12th of 14 in ours so each team seems to be thought of as a close-to-the-bottom team. Our conference may be better than theirs but I don't think the bottom of our conference is any better than the bottom of theirs.

Those players I mentioned are just evidence that Utah is capable of attracting very good players. They had three first rounders in three recent consecutive years. We haven't had a player drafted since 2004. Utah also had the #1 pick (Andrew Bogut) a year after that. Prior to last year, Utah had 5 consecutive 20+ win seasons and went to the regional semifinal in one of them. Utah has had more consistent success than us in recent years and they also have a very well regarded coach who was a former NBA player.

One shred of hope you can cling to is the old "lots of turnover/players learning to play together" explanation. You're losing relatively close games on the road. That Oklahoma game is one that got away.

Waving the white flag before conference play has even begun? lol

My short list:

-Eric Musselman
-Craig Smith
-Shaka Smart
-Ben Howland
-Niko Medved

You rip on me for Huggins cause we’d get sanctions? Ben Howland is worse and had sanctions more recently. Shaka’s program isn't real clean either, but that could be more of a Texas thing.

Nikos good and I like him. Want to see if he can win at CSU first. If Dave Thorson is part of the package I’m for sure in!

Smith has built a winner with kids that top 50 programs did not even offer.

You rip on me for Huggins cause we’d get sanctions? Ben Howland is worse and had sanctions more recently. Shaka’s program isn't real clean either, but that could be more of a Texas thing.

Nikos good and I like him. Want to see if he can win at CSU first. If Dave Thorson is part of the package I’m for sure in!

What were Howland's sanctions? I know UCLA has issues, but I'm not sure they were his. Shaka would either boom or bust here, but I'd be willing to roll the dice.

What were Howland's sanctions? I know UCLA has issues, but I'm not sure they were his. Shaka would either boom or bust here, but I'd be willing to roll the dice.

No thanks on Smart.

Why would Smart want this job ? He is well paid, way more resources and recruiting is going very well.

Richard Pitino has a 40-70 conference record.

Check out his conference road record ! For some that just might be good enough. So if i post the conference record you get upset, when i do not post it you take a shot anyway. Are you really miserable about Richards record ?

Top Bottom