11/16 BIG Games

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
My picks are PSU, Mich, NU, Wisky, OSU and MN. Indiana has a chance to move up if they can knock off PSU and Mich next week. If they lose they move back to the lower tier. One can only hope that Neb plays their best game of the year and has a good shot at Wisky at home.

The Gophers are in a position to control their own future. Just win.

Indiana at 4 Penn State 12:00pm ABC
Michigan State at 14 Michigan 12:00pm FOX
UMass at Northwestern 12:00pm BTN
13 Wisconsin at Nebraska 12:00pm BTN
1 Ohio State at Rutgers 3:30pm BTN
17 Minnesota at 18 Iowa 4:00pm FOX

(Copied and pasted thus rankings have not been updated)

We should be rooting for Penn State to absolutely annihilate Indiana this week.

We need Northwestern to pick up it's second win, as they are pathetic right now.

Nebraska winning would be a huge help.

We should be rooting for Penn State to absolutely annihilate Indiana this week.

We need Northwestern to pick up it's second win, as they are pathetic right now.

Nebraska winning would be a huge help.

Doesn't matter to us what happens with Penn St. Beating a team twice does nothing for you, so I'd rather face Ohio St if we need to make a statement. I still only see two scenarios where we make the CFP. Win out and we are in for sure. And there is a chance if we lose to Wisconsin and beat Ohio St in the championship game we could possibly go as a 1 loss team. But most likely we'd get screwed as a 1 loss team. They'd rather pick Alabama.

Rooting for the State teams and the Cornhuskers!

As much as I want to believe in the college football playoff scenario I want to also be thinking Rose Bowl in case we lose during this final stretch. Will Penn St get the Rose Bowl as a 2 loss team if we win the west and have 2 losses (1 to Iowa/Wisc and 1 to Ohio St)? If there is a chance for Penn St to be selected ahead of us I think we want them to lose another game along the way.

I know I have been called "crazy" (literally) for saying this, but my dream scenario is to have Wisconsin beat Nebraska and then beat Purdue, because I want the Badgers to look as good as possible before we beat them here. I want them to come to Minneapolis all cocky and full of themselves.

Then I want to see another Gopher total destruction of the Sconnies, like last season in Madison.

Doesn't matter to us what happens with Penn St. Beating a team twice does nothing for you, so I'd rather face Ohio St if we need to make a statement. I still only see two scenarios where we make the CFP. Win out and we are in for sure. And there is a chance if we lose to Wisconsin and beat Ohio St in the championship game we could possibly go as a 1 loss team. But most likely we'd get screwed as a 1 loss team. They'd rather pick Alabama.

I never said anything about Penn State beating Ohio State, and them crushing a fringe top 25 Indiana team still makes our win over them look better.

Also, beating Penn State a second time on a neutral field would definitely help us a bunch, especially since that means they beat Ohio State in Columbus.

As much as I want to believe in the college football playoff scenario I want to also be thinking Rose Bowl in case we lose during this final stretch. Will Penn St get the Rose Bowl as a 2 loss team if we win the west and have 2 losses (1 to Iowa/Wisc and 1 to Ohio St)? If there is a chance for Penn St to be selected ahead of us I think we want them to lose another game along the way.

Good point. While I will not completely discount the possibility of beating Ohio State, it is very unlikely. If we lose that game (even as an unbeaten team), I think the CFP committee screws us. Thus, my hope is the Rose Bowl. Similarly, we will get screwed by the Rose Bowl unless it is a clear choice for us. If we are a “tie” in their eyes with Penn State or Michigan, I think they screw us and take a traditional powerhouse. Could the draw of a Cinderella team MN with the quirky coach be enough to override their built-in bias? Maybe. It’s quite a story and I believe our fans would travel in droves to Pasadena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming no big time upsets (ie NE over WI or IN over PSU) and our 2 losses are to Iowa and OSU, I am pretty sure we get the Rose. (Only PSU would have 2 losses, we get tiebreak nod.) If it is wisky and OSU, it will be white knuckle time as the rankings are announced.

Assuming no big time upsets (ie NE over WI or IN over PSU) and our 2 losses are to Iowa and OSU, I am pretty sure we get the Rose. (Only PSU would have 2 losses, we get tiebreak nod.) If it is wisky and OSU, it will be white knuckle time as the rankings are announced.

Also depends on how we lose to Wisconsin and OSU vs how Penn State does against OSU. How close the games are will matter if we both finish with two losses.

Instead, lets just win out the regular season so we don't have to worry about Penn State anymore.

Good point. While I will not completely discount the possibility of beating Ohio State, it is very unlikely. If we lose that game (even as an unbeaten team), I think the CFP committee screws us. Thus, my hope is the Rose Bowl. Similarly, we will get screwed by the Rose Bowl unless it is a clear choice for us. If we are a “tie” in their eyes with Penn State or Michigan, I think they screw us and take a traditional powerhouse. Could the draw of a Cinderella team MN with the quirky coach be enough to override their built-in bias? Maybe. It’s quite a story and I believe our fans would travel in droves to Pasadena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If MN gets screwed by the Rose Bowl it'll be the CFP committee's fault, not the Rose Bowl. The highest ranked B1G team is automatically awarded the Rose Bowl bid after the playoff field is set. It's all but a lock that one B1G team will make the playoffs (let's be honest -- OSU), so depending on how things shake out down the stretch, MN, PSU, and Wisc are all in the running for Pasadena.

If MN gets screwed by the Rose Bowl it'll be the CFP committee's fault, not the Rose Bowl. The highest ranked B1G team is automatically awarded the Rose Bowl bid after the playoff field is set. It's all but a lock that one B1G team will make the playoffs (let's be honest -- OSU), so depending on how things shake out down the stretch, MN, PSU, and Wisc are all in the running for Pasadena.

Not true, if the top team goes to CFP, then the Rose Bowl selects who they want.

Not true, if the top team goes to CFP, then the Rose Bowl selects who they want.

True this! We need to have only 1 loss to be picked over Penn State, cause they travel better.

I understand the ranking perspective, but I absolutely DO NOT want wisconsin to have the opportunity to ruin our season on our field. I want us to lock up the West in Iowa City or Northwestern. I'm cool just playing for the Axe at the game.

If the Rose Bowl were allowed to pick - you think they'd really take Penn State over one of the founding members with a rabid fan base that is DYING to get back to the Rose Bowl? Hopefully they saw our response for the Penn State game. (Did anyone else notice the two folks in orange blazers in one of the pictures of the team coming onto the field? They looked very happy.)

Go Big Red! Husker! Power!

I understand the ranking perspective, but I absolutely DO NOT want wisconsin to have the opportunity to ruin our season on our field. I want us to lock up the West in Iowa City or Northwestern. I'm cool just playing for the Axe at the game.

If the Rose Bowl were allowed to pick - you think they'd really take Penn State over one of the founding members with a rabid fan base that is DYING to get back to the Rose Bowl? Hopefully they saw our response for the Penn State game. (Did anyone else notice the two folks in orange blazers in one of the pictures of the team coming onto the field? They looked very happy.)

Go Big Red! Husker! Power!

How many games have we sold out?

Penn St doing well will help our CFP resume, but in the event we lose to Iowa or Wisconsin and they keep winning we're screwed on the Rose Bowl.

Another mind F is do we want Penn St to beat Ohio St knowing that playing Penn St in the Big Ten Championship game would be an easier game for the gophers but knowing if we lose that game we likely don't go to the Rose Bowl as Ohio St would be there.

I might just not watch any games because I'll be too confused on who to cheer for.

I would want an undefeated B1G championship game.

How many games have we sold out?

I think he's saying the fan base would be excited about the Rose Bowl. He's not pretending they were rabid in prior years. Gophers would have no problems selling their allotted tickets to the Rose Bowl.

I think he's saying the fan base would be excited about the Rose Bowl. He's not pretending they were rabid in prior years. Gophers would have no problems selling their allotted tickets to the Rose Bowl.

Exactly!

Top Bottom