Unfinished business: After nearly leaving Gophers, Antoine Winfield Jr. stuck around

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Most of his roommates will have exhausted their eligibility after this year, with Coughlin and Martin likely NFL draft picks. Winfield could follow them, forgoing his final two years to become a potential second- or third-rounder, according to Cam Mellor, lead college football analyst at Pro Football Focus.

Fleck joked Tuesday that keeping Winfield was one of his most important recruiting jobs when he came to the Gophers.

"Still is," Fleck said, adding Winfield was coming to his house for dinner Tuesday.

Winfield, though, said his only goal for this season was to stay healthy and prove his past injuries were just flukes. And while it's hard not to think about his future, he admitted, he's just trying to live in the moment and realize that's a decision for later.

The 21-year-old is just enjoying the success, after all the allegations and injuries.

"I think back on those times, and I don't think I would be able to play to my ability that I'm playing now if it wasn't for all the things that happen to me over those years," Winfield said. "And so it's definitely worth it, though. A lot of life lessons that you learn, and I wouldn't change it for anything."

Now, Winfield constantly has a big grin lighting up his face, beaming after making a game-changing play or just quietly to himself.

"Any time I see him, he's just always smiling," Winfield Sr. said. "And he's got every right to do that."

http://www.startribune.com/unfinish...ound-to-reap-this-season-s-rewards/564830692/

Go Gophers!!

I hope the Vikings draft him. I don’t know if he’s an NFL safety, a slot corner, or whatever, but he’ll be making plays one way or another.

Also...as the importance of these games grows, I hope they consider having him return kicks. This could also help improve his stock.

I hope the Vikings draft him. I don’t know if he’s an NFL safety, a slot corner, or whatever, but he’ll be making plays one way or another.

Also...as the importance of these games grows, I hope they consider having him return kicks. This could also help improve his stock.

NFL safety, is my bet.

The Vikings are probably looking at another offensive lineman in the 1st round, but if he is available in the 2nd round or later you have got to take this guy. He tackles just like his dad (who was one of the best CB tacklers of all time) notice how he tackled the Penn St. TE's in open space where he just flipped them down? He just makes big plays when you need it the most and that is hard to find.

He should play safety in the NFL, but he definitely belongs there. There are times when he is on the field that I swear it is an NFL player that sneaked into his uniform and is playing for the Gophers. I would sure like him to stay and play for the Gophers for another year or two, but I won't mind if he declares for the draft. He belongs there.

Man....I'd love to have Winfield Jr. back for one more year. But you wonder how much more he has to prove? He can't improve his size. He's already one of the best defensive backs in the nation. The guys he came in with are moving on.

I realize that football is a team game and the rosters are fluid. His best friends on the team might be in the defensive backfield and might still be around next year. Possibly only having played two full seasons, he'd want to put one more together.

Who knows. All I know is that I wouldn't be angry if he moved on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A duo of Harrison Smith and Winfield could define a new term - “shutdown safeties”

Man....I'd love to have Winfield Jr. back for one more year. But you wonder how much more he has to prove? He can't improve his size. He's already one of the best defensive backs in the nation. The guys he came in with are moving on.

I realize that football is a team game and the rosters are fluid. His best friends on the team might be in the defensive backfield and might still be around next year. Possibly only having played two full seasons, he'd want to put one more together.

Do we have to worry about Winfield or others sitting out our bowl game?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I will be shocked if he comes back. After dealing with all the injuries, and having the year he is now, I think he would be foolish to come back. He has elevated himself as much as he possibly can. I wish him all the best and will cheer for him on Sundays next year! Here's hoping to continued health and success the remainder of the year!

I am so glad those scums at the university administration didn’t run him out of town for because of an accusation .....truth be told, he is a good kid. Glad he hung in there and cleared his name

Top Bottom