Gopher Tailgates/Pregame Activities in Iowa City

chasertb

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a student at the U and some of my friends and I are heading down to Iowa City this weekend to visit one of our friends there and attend the game. With this, does anyone know of any tailgates or large gatherings of Gopher fans down in the heart of Hawkeye country?

We went to a game in Iowa several years ago. The alumni (but anyone can go) put on a "Sota" at the hotel where the Gophers stayed the night before the game. The cheerleaders were there, Coach Kill spoke, as did Teague. Some snacks, etc. were provided. A pretty good fun event if they still do it. IMG_0586.jpg

We went to a game in Iowa several years ago. The alumni (but anyone can go) put on a "Sota" at the hotel where the Gophers stayed the night before the game. The cheerleaders were there, Coach Kill spoke, as did Teague. Some snacks, etc. were provided. A pretty good fun event if they still do it. View attachment 6512

Teague probably put it on so he could get drunk and hit on the cheerleaders.

He (Teague) had just been appointed to the job. I talked to him at length about not tearing down the barn. Note: He was sober and stayed away from the cheerleaders!

Are you bringing your own tailgate material? If so, there is a nice public lot that has reasonable rates for tailgating that I have used in the past. Very easy to tailgate there and it was a really good option. I would do it again for any future trip to Iowa City.

Myrtle Ave Parking Lot
234 Myrtle Ave, Iowa City, IA 52246
41.653883, -91.543141

Also known as lot 48

Not sure on events...hopefully someone can provide that info for some Friday night festivities. Tailgating at Kinnick is a must. 4 years ago we had our own tailgate setup and it was awesome. Two years ago we just walked the lots around the stadium and everyone in maroon and gold gave us a beer and chatted for a while, that was a blast. Either option is very good. For as much as we hate Iowa, almost every Iowa fan i have encountered at Kinnick has been more than friendly. I don'd know why they only ship the bad ones out to come up here. Also of note: the security is not very tight to get in and they do not sell beer in the stadium so get your flask lined up before hand.

Last time I was there to tailgate, I parked in the Myrtle Lot. Liked it; good & fun atmosphere. They let you park your car the night before, which was nice, since we were staying near the Ped Mall. Parked the car, walked back & did our thing that night. Didn't have to worry about getting there 9 hours before; 6 hours was plenty & just walked to our spot.

Are you bringing your own tailgate material? If so, there is a nice public lot that has reasonable rates for tailgating that I have used in the past. Very easy to tailgate there and it was a really good option. I would do it again for any future trip to Iowa City.

Myrtle Ave Parking Lot
234 Myrtle Ave, Iowa City, IA 52246
41.653883, -91.543141

Also known as lot 48

Your recommendation is the best for opposing fans. Myrtle is awesome and offers a perfect experience. Pardon me while I post my other suggestions again:

You want to be downtown on the Ped Mall. The Iowa Beer Band usually begins their tour after 8pm and stops at Brother's, Sport's Column, Joe's, and a few bars I'm forgetting. Simply, the members of the marching band that can drink play a few songs in bars the night before the game...it's fun.

Food recs- Joseph's (if you want a steak and upscale experience), Green Orchard (upscale), Pullman Diner (intimate, hand-crafted menu), Vue Rooftop (great menu, make a reservation), Mickey's (great bar food and environment), Saint Birch Tavern, and finally grilled cheese from Marco's food stand.

Bars- Joe's Place (upperclassman, professors, locals...GO HERE!), Airliner (staple in Iowa City since 1920s), Brother's (younger crowd), Sport's Column (my favorite undergrad bar), Deadwood (legendary hipster bar to show IC's quirkiness), Clinton Street Social Club (craft cocktails, nice view of Old Capital).

I'm hosting many Gopher fans this weekend. Rightfully so, my Minnesota friends are coming out of the woodwork for this game. Enjoy Iowa City!

Your recommendation is the best for opposing fans. Myrtle is awesome and offers a perfect experience. Pardon me while I post my other suggestions again:

You want to be downtown on the Ped Mall. The Iowa Beer Band usually begins their tour after 8pm and stops at Brother's, Sport's Column, Joe's, and a few bars I'm forgetting. Simply, the members of the marching band that can drink play a few songs in bars the night before the game...it's fun.

Food recs- Joseph's (if you want a steak and upscale experience), Green Orchard (upscale), Pullman Diner (intimate, hand-crafted menu), Vue Rooftop (great menu, make a reservation), Mickey's (great bar food and environment), Saint Birch Tavern, and finally grilled cheese from Marco's food stand.

Bars- Joe's Place (upperclassman, professors, locals...GO HERE!), Airliner (staple in Iowa City since 1920s), Brother's (younger crowd), Sport's Column (my favorite undergrad bar), Deadwood (legendary hipster bar to show IC's quirkiness), Clinton Street Social Club (craft cocktails, nice view of Old Capital).

I'm hosting many Gopher fans this weekend. Rightfully so, my Minnesota friends are coming out of the woodwork for this game. Enjoy Iowa City!

Great recs on IC. I'm beyond jacked for this weekend.

This will be my 25th Gopher road game and don't think I've ever been so excited for a trip. Iowa City is awesome, we have a great team, we're playing with a ton on the line, and the weather looks great for mid November. Let's go!!!

Great recs on IC. I'm beyond jacked for this weekend.

This will be my 25th Gopher road game and don't think I've ever been so excited for a trip. Iowa City is awesome, we have a great team, we're playing with a ton on the line, and the weather looks great for mid November. Let's go!!!

I'll have a tall glass of whatever ZEPPELIN is having!

Row the Boat
Ski-U-Mah
Go Gophers

Wish I could make it to the game at TCF South. Coming down with some kind of bug. I still need to get to my first ever gopher road game.

Top Bottom