Meyer & DiNardo on MN Red Zone Defense

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Urban Meyer and Gerry DiNardo with high praise on the Gophers' red zone defense. Good watch.

Nice to see it detailed like that. Meyer doesn't say a ton of good things about us, but he is very complimentary of Rossi here.

Nice to see it detailed like that. Meyer doesn't say a ton of good things about us, but he is very complimentary of Rossi here.

He’s been changing his tune lately. Saturday night, he said he didn’t take us seriously after the close calls in the non-conference schedule, but has been impressed with the improvement over the course of the season. He specifically credited PJ and the staff, and said improvement over a season is the measure of good coaching. He knows this is being done without a bunch of blue chip recruits. He also said Penn State is legit.

Thanks for posting, I am more of a bball guy so nuance like this in football help me understand the games within the game.

I watch videos like this and realize I know almost nothing about football even though I've watched it for 30+ years.

Some kudos to Howden.

Howden is a favorite story of mine this year because last year vs Iowa, vs Maryland, vs Illinois,... lot of issues.
New DC. Some learnings. Howden playing really well since Rossi took over and hopefully he'll be our rock at safety when AW11 moves on.

Some kudos to Howden.

Howden is a favorite story of mine this year because last year vs Iowa, vs Maryland, vs Illinois,... lot of issues.
New DC. Some learnings. Howden playing really well since Rossi took over and hopefully he'll be our rock at safety when AW11 moves on.

Fleck recently said something about Howden being highly recruited at some point, and they had to do some work to become academically eligible. I tried to research this, and learned that he moved to Vegas in high school, and fell off the radar (maybe partially because of perceived academic issues?). One of the assistants identified him somehow, and the rest is history. Sounds like another gamble that has paid off. He might end up being far better than anyone anticipated by the time he’s done here.

Wasn’t our red zone defense pretty bad prior to this game?

I love watching Meyer’s breakdowns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ's most underrated and possibly his greatest talent is the discipline he has instilled throughout the program. The media focuses on personality, acronyms, and tunnel/sideline running while this guy has built a program that out works, out schemes and out disciplines opponents.

Wasn’t our red zone defense pretty bad prior to this game?

The low number of times in the red zone plus low number of long touchdowns = pretty good defense.

PJ's most underrated and possibly his greatest talent is the discipline he has instilled throughout the program. The media focuses on personality, acronyms, and tunnel/sideline running while this guy has built a program that out works, out schemes and out disciplines opponents.

Watching game again Blackledge said the same thing.

Last edited:

Wow, that was incredible. I know a lot about football, but watching this it's so clear to me how little I know compared to these guys. I mean, their knowledge is just on another level. That thing about the 3 DB's lining up at different levels to avoid pick plays...unreal detail. And you know how often they've probably worked on that in practice?! It's crazy the little things that make the difference between wins and losses.

Wow, that was incredible. I know a lot about football, but watching this it's so clear to me how little I know compared to these guys. I mean, their knowledge is just on another level. That thing about the 3 DB's lining up at different levels to avoid pick plays...unreal detail. And you know how often they've probably worked on that in practice?! It's crazy the little things that make the difference between wins and losses.
This is the truth. I would have never even noticed anything like that. I stick with "He caught it" "Touchdown" "Nice tackle". More knowledgeable than that, count me out.

On another tread there were several who said we could of, should of, lost to Penn State and gave as the reason how poorly the defense played. Knuckleheads.

It also explains why they threw that fade to a short WR.

It was supposed to be a pick... but man if that doesn't happen throwing a fade to a short WR... not gonna happen / could be picked off.

On another thread there were several who said we could of, should of, lost to Penn State and gave as the reason how poorly the defense played. Knuckleheads.

This is so good. They should do a full 30 on film like this every week rather than just a segment.

He said it was scheme not effort on the bat away the ball play.

I disagree, Great effort and perfect timing!

He said it was scheme not effort on the bat away the ball play.

I disagree, Great effort and perfect timing!

Well it was a fade to a short guy... should bat that one away. If you're covering a short WR in the endzone and you're between the QB and WR... awesome.

Not to take anything away there, he did it. It was a weird play though.

Yeah, if Rutgers had the same scheme, it probably wouldn't work either.

They meant that both teams were trying just as hard, and the talent level was close to even. Just the defensive plan was more solid than offense on those attempts.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Joe Rossi is unimpressed with your efforts to get into the endzone.

Rossi_Joe.jpg

Top Bottom