College football playoffs ranking

It’s a diss IMO but we all know PJF is best with a crack on his shoulder. So is his team. There’s lots of football to go.

No different than them saying Texas A&M is a quality win for Bama and Clemson. Look, 8 is a good spot for us. But I don't think anyone could look at me with a straight face and say that if you took Minnesota's resume and slapped Wisconsin or Michigan on there that they wouldn't be at least top 5.

I agree.
Slap any other name on it.

MN has to beat Iowa by 20 this week so we can leap-frog Utah and get to #7.
Getting past Oregon will be tough with that AD as committee chair. (How else do you explain those two PAC12 teams up that high. USC isn't good anymore and USC knows it).

It’s a diss IMO but we all know PJF is best with a crack on his shoulder. So is his team. There’s lots of football to go.

We are a program that has earned being dissed based on results over like 50 years.

Chip on the shoulder isn't bad. Win and you're in it's so simple. Who cares about blowing out Iowa to jump to 7. Just beat them by at least one. And do that again and again.

People are ranking based on whatever they want to rank on. Rankings mean nothing until the last one.

Gophers go undefeated - Playoffs
Gophers lose a game - No playoffs

No reason to get caught up over rankings on Nov 12

I don't think this is completely true anymore. If we lost to either Iowa or Wisconsin and then beat OSU in the championship, I don't think they leave the Gophers out without blatantly revealing their bias. Obviously difficult, but a possibility.

People are ranking based on whatever they want to rank on. Rankings mean nothing until the last one.

Agree that the final ranking is the only one that matters.
However, as another poster said, I do not think you understand how it is supposed to work. (Yes ppl will rank how they wish. Then see my argument for why that is ridiculous.)

I don’t think we are getting caught up. More-so kist acknowledging the system for ranking is flawed.

Also, I do not agree w a blanket assumption that gophers lose a game, no
Playoffs. Unlikely, probably. But as ppl have stated, our SOS is the highest of everyone to end the season. We are getting quality wins that others will not have. It will be a discussion.

I agree with your logic but...
Gophers beat Iowa, beat NW, lose to WI
and beat Ohio St
Pretty sure we’d be in?

I don't think this is completely true anymore. If we lost to either Iowa or Wisconsin and then beat OSU in the championship, I don't think they leave the Gophers out without blatantly revealing their bias. Obviously difficult, but a possibility.
I'd say about a 5-10% chance of that without some significant help elsewhere.

and beat Ohio St
Pretty sure we’d be in?

What the Gophers really need is a loss to Northwestern in there. If Georgia taught me anything it’s that an odorous loss is pleasing to the committee

and beat Ohio St
Pretty sure we’d be in?

Almost certainly. Assuming Ohio St hasn’t lost along the way. Still let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Happy cuz who would have thought this at the start of the year. I thought we would be 10-2 Hard to beat f’ing sec til they go down

Too early to pencil in tOSU. It could be PSU again.

My biggest issue with the rankings is that the committee can't wait to let one loss SEC schools hang around so they can get them all in the best bowls possible. When Baylor or Minnesota finally loses they will drop as far down as the committee can get a way with.

Here are all the schools the CFP committee shows favoritism to this year:

All SEC schools
Clemson
Oklahoma
Texas
Oregon
Ohio State

Hard to rationalize 1-loss Utah and Oregon being ahead of Gophs.

SOS should benefit from IA and Wiscy although NW will hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon SOS #10
Utah SOS #21
Gophers SOS #57

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they were undefeated I would not have an issue..each have a loss so how that doesn't have a larger affect is beyond me.

and beat Ohio St
Pretty sure we’d be in?

Probably, but because it would happen sooner and would be on the road, I think the stronger case would be a single loss to Iowa rather than Wisconsin. The biggest problem in a 1 loss scenario is the perception the committee has of Minnesota that keeps us under ranked IMHO (based on resumes and the eye test). Utah? I don't see a Washington win and USC loss as a better resume nor is their eye test great. Georgia probably wins the eye test, but has a brutal loss. I saw in person Alabama play a few weeks ago in Tuscaloosa. They have the skill players, but the defense is not good. I'd put them ahead of Georgia with the eye test. Georgia lacks playmaking receivers (Bateman!?) It seems the committee threw Georgia in there so they can find a way to move Alabama up as an SEC replacement later. That future movement is why current rankings could be critical for placement later. I guess if you want to forfeit our chance if we lose a game, then current placement probably does not matter as an undefeated team will eventually rise above any 1 loss teams regardless of current rankings. That attitude can be self fulfilling, you know, like thinking Penn State was going to come back and win.

Could we be above Utah? Yeah, but I'm happy at #8. These rankings are just theoretical right now to me anyways, still a lot of football to be played. Take care of business on Saturday. Row the Boat.

If they were undefeated I would not have an issue..each have a loss so how that doesn't have a larger affect is beyond me.

Their fans would say “of course you’d say that, you’re undefeated so that would help you. But actually SOS is more important, as you’ve only beat one good team.”

Just playing devil’s advocate. :cool:

We deserve to be higher than 8, but the CFP committee screwed that up for us when they egregiously underranked us last week at 17. Had they put us in the 10-13 range that we deserved, they could've moved us up to 5 or 6 this week and it wouldn't have seemed such a massive jump. As it is, they moved us up 9 spots (the largest jump into the top 10 in CFP history) and they didn't want to lose even more credibility by putting us even higher.

In the end, the only CFP ranking that matters is the one before the semifinals, so it's mostly just something to discuss until then.

Georgie lost to South Carolina, a team that may end up with 4 wins.

Did anyone else watch the reveal on ESPN today? It's an hour long program. And the thing that really stuck out to me was all the attention the Gophers were getting. It was almost uncomfortable, because I'm just not used to this kind of exposure.

It felt like they spent a lot more time talking about the Gophers than any other team. Even had PJ Fleck on to talk about their new ranking, etc. Just wanted to say, it feels great to be recognized nationally. I recognize that it's easier to skate by unnoticed. But now the magnifying glass is on us. Hopefully it's a feeling we can get more accustomed to as things go on.

Still two very tough games to go, but the sudden success of the Gophers seems bizarre, a bit unreal - after all the years of frustration, of ALMOST making it (Mason, Kill, Claeys). If we beat Wisconsin, regardless of what happens with Iowa & Northwestern, we're in the Rose Bowl. That hasn't happened since the 1961 season. The Gophers are getting, of a sudden, a huge amount of national publicity, the likes of which also go back to the Warmath era.

Disrespect.

-Utah hasn't beat anyone and lost to a 4-loss USC team.

-Georgia lost to a bad team.

-Alabama hasn't beat anyone yet above average yet and has a home loss.

-Oregon hasn't beat anyone above average yet and has a home loss.

Mind bending and it's also amazing that more people aren't pissed.

Last edited:

What people are missing is that Gophers running the table and losing a close one to Ohio State is still likely a top-four quality resume.

people keep saying "just keep winning and the ranking will take care of themselves."

but the rest of the teams can also keep winning.

i just don't see a point in which the gophers jump a pac 10 champion, a sec champion, clemson and a one loss alabama/ohio state. i just don't see it happening.

Top Bottom