College football playoffs ranking

Gophs are about right IMO. No difference if MN is 8 or 5 at this point, they have to probably win out to make the playoffs anyway...maybe the only way would be go 12-0 and lose to an undefeated OSU in OT or something, but they would probably have to win out regardless.

A team that has lost their conference championship game has yet to be included in the playoff. I just don't see that changing. You can recover from losing in the regular season. You can ever recover form not winning your division. But you can't recover from losing in the conference championship.

You’re talking about Ohio St losing to us?

Sure, but has the CFP #1 going into conf champ weekend ever lost to a team that was knocking on the top 4 door?

May still not matter. But maybe, just maybe, they’d put both us and Ohio St in the top 4?

If we had a loss right now we should still be top 8 with our win over PSU compared to what Alabama, Oregon, and Utah have.

We are only 11 spots ahead of Texas who I believe has 3 losses.
Only 11 spots between an unbeaten team and a 3 loss team.
How does that work?

Baylor - unbeaten - only 6 spots ahead of 3-loss Texas.

Interesting listen

Love this. It's definitely an unbiased opinion akin to what we've been hearing from a lot of analysts and fans of other teams the past couple weeks...just not the CFP committee.

Here's my favorite quote: "The preseason rankings are bad for football. If Minnesota had the preseason hype of Nebraska, they'd be sitting at #4 right now -- maybe higher."

Love this. It's definitely an unbiased opinion akin to what we've been hearing from a lot of analysts and fans of other teams the past couple weeks...just not the CFP committee.

Here's my favorite quote: "The preseason rankings are bad for football. If Minnesota had the preseason hype of Nebraska, they'd be sitting at #4 right now -- maybe higher."

This is college football.

It isn’t a new season.
It’s always king of the hill.
Some start at the top and some start at the bottom.

It isn’t fair, but it’s partially why there are so many fans.

The committee is made up of a bunch of athletic directors.

WHAT ARE WE DOING!?!

The committee should be made up of real college football minds like Klatt.

I’m probably not the only one who thinks having ADs as committee members is a conflict of interest. This season, the Oregon AD is the Chair. For that reason alone, I will root for Oregon to lose every week.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/10/16/selection-committee.aspx
They do leave the room when there school comes up, he has no say in Oregon's ranking. If there was a conflict I think the chair could swing a better ranking, no sense in being corrupt if you're not good at it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You’re talking about Ohio St losing to us?

Sure, but has the CFP #1 going into conf champ weekend ever lost to a team that was knocking on the top 4 door?

May still not matter. But maybe, just maybe, they’d put both us and Ohio St in the top 4?

You are correct. That scenario has not happened yet. In the CFP era here are the teams that were in the top 4 but lost their conference championship game:
2015: Iowa (4th) lost to Michigan State (5th)
2017: Wisconsin (3rd) lost to Ohio State (8th)
2017: Auburn (4th) lost to Georgia (6th)
2018: Georgia (4th) lost to Alabama (1st)

But I just don't think the committee would do that unless there were some outstanding circumstances like teams 5 and beyond all had 2 losses.

They do leave the room when there school comes up, he has no say in Oregon's ranking. If there was a conflict I think the chair could swing a better ranking, no sense in being corrupt if you're not good at it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

He may not be there when Oregon is being discussed specifically, but unless he is also out of the room during discussions of conference strength and teams that Oregon is ranked close to, he still impacts Oregon's ranking.

You are correct. That scenario has not happened yet. In the CFP era here are the teams that were in the top 4 but lost their conference championship game:
2015: Iowa (4th) lost to Michigan State (5th)
2017: Wisconsin (3rd) lost to Ohio State (8th)
2017: Auburn (4th) lost to Georgia (6th)
2018: Georgia (4th) lost to Alabama (1st)

But I just don't think the committee would do that unless there were some outstanding circumstances like teams 5 and beyond all had 2 losses.

So there you go, 2018 -- what if Georgia beats Alabama? Now granted, that's not exactly what I said. I'm thinking more like Minnesota #5/6 beating #1 Ohio State, both at 12-0. Though I don't know if I can really convince myself that Minnesota 12-0 wouldn't already be in the top 4 at that point. Not sure which scenario makes the point stronger. (the point of having both Minnesota and Ohio St in the top 4 after the conf champ game) Probably both in the top 4.

Guys, all the great points you're bringing up about preseason rankings, the committee, etc. .... thing is ... in a way, this is exactly what they want.

They want people talking about it. Nonstop.

It's the thing that makes American Football what it is. You have a whole week between games and you don't have very many games. People incessantly hash and rehash everything imaginable related to the games.

No matter how they rig up the system ... it's not going to be perfect. Algorithms, polls, committees made up of athletic directors, committees made up of former coaches, committees made up of media ...... they all have their weaknesses. And inexorably, the season will come up with a scenario that exploits the weakness. This year Oregon is a perfect example. The friggin' head of the committee has to leave the room.

But that controversy does make people engage ...

This is my biggest complaint about the whole thing. For the sake of the argument I wish that the school wasn't Minnesota because it looks like I am biased. Minnesota has been the "cinderella" team all year. Unranked at the beginning, just kept improving and winning. Lets pretend we beat Iowa, NW, and Wisconsin and lose 38-24 to Ohio State.

We finished the year 12-0, but really 12-1 because of our loss in the Big Ten Title Game.

We might be #3 or #4 at that point behind OSU and LSU.

After our loss to Ohio State we would get knocked out of the playoffs and guess who will be primed to slide right in? Alabama.

We get punished for playing in the conference championship game and Alabama would essentially get a bye because they lost to a division opponent and kept themselves out of the conference championship game.

There is no one in the world that thinks a school like Minnesota gets into the playoffs at 12-1 over a 11-1 Alabama. That is even with Minnesota playing a tougher schedule, more ranked wins, winning their division, and playing an extra game.

This is my biggest complaint about the whole thing. For the sake of the argument I wish that the school wasn't Minnesota because it looks like I am biased. Minnesota has been the "cinderella" team all year. Unranked at the beginning, just kept improving and winning. Lets pretend we beat Iowa, NW, and Wisconsin and lose 38-24 to Ohio State.

We finished the year 12-0, but really 12-1 because of our loss in the Big Ten Title Game.

We might be #3 or #4 at that point behind OSU and LSU.

After our loss to Ohio State we would get knocked out of the playoffs and guess who will be primed to slide right in? Alabama.

We get punished for playing in the conference championship game and Alabama would essentially get a bye because they lost to a division opponent and kept themselves out of the conference championship game.

There is no one in the world that thinks a school like Minnesota gets into the playoffs at 12-1 over a 11-1 Alabama. That is even with Minnesota playing a tougher schedule, more ranked wins, winning their division, and playing an extra game.

I think this type of thing has already happened. I think Ohio State got in, over Penn State, without playing in the Big Ten champ game.

It does seem like a flaw.

I would say pretty much until they go to a system that includes the P5 conf champions automatically getting in, no matter how they rig it up, it will always have weakness.

IF MN beats the #20 team on the road this week, then they will hop the 1-loss PAC12 teams for sure. No idea with the SEC teams Georgia and Alabama. It depends on outcomes (Georgia plays at #12 Auburn this week).

I get that the "eye test" has some merit in ensuring a competitive playoff. There needs to be some qualifiers though. For starters, you should not even be considered for the CFP if you did not play in your conference championship game. They can't sit there and preach "every game matters" and allow teams to not even be the best in their division and make it.

Another point --- people are up in arms about Minnesota.

What about 9-0 Baylor?? They went *down* in the CFP rankings, going from 8-0 to 9-0 !

I think this type of thing has already happened. I think Ohio State got in, over Penn State, without playing in the Big Ten champ game.

I would say pretty much until they go to a system that includes the P5 conf champions automatically getting in, no matter how they rig it up, it will always have weakness.

The big caveat there is that the Big Ten Champ PSU had 2 losses, including an absolute hammering 49-10 by Michigan.

Hardly an apples to apples comparison to the hypothetical end to this season.

Penn State in 2016 was a little different. Everyone knew they weren't getting in with 2 losses. If Oregon or Utah win out (1-loss conference champions), Oklahoma or Baylor win out (0 or 1-loss conference champions), if LSU loses to Georgia in the championship (a 1-loss conference champion and 1-loss division champion) or even Minnesota winning out until the conference championship (1-loss divisional champion), I doubt Alabama jumps all or any of those scenarios.

They beat Florida and Notre Dame. If they finish with one loss that means wins over Auburn and LSU.

Thank you Buttcheeks - Georgia is very good and deserving to be ahead of us. If they finish with 1 loss.....they will ABSOLUTELY be one of the 4 spots. However, I think (as Gopher Fans) we should all be Auburn Fans. If they do what Auburn does in November - they could knock Alabama out for sure, potentially LSU as well. Make room for the Gophs. We ultimately control it - which not many can say at this point. Win and you're in

What about 9-0 Baylor?? They went *down* in the CFP rankings, going from 8-0 to 9-0 !

Yeah, Baylor is getting no credit. Baylor is in a similar to position Minnesota last week. Nobody believes they're going to beat Oklahoma this week (and Texas next week). If they do, and Minnesota wins too, then both Baylor and Minnesota need to be in the 4-5 spots this week.

Triple OT win against a bad TCU team, along with a tight one against WVU...doesn't help. They will need to win this weekend to have any relevance

Right or wrong, I think the only way Minnesota gets into the 4 position is by these scenarios:

1. Totally outclass Iowa in a Nebraska/Maryland fashion (even then might only get to 5/6)
2. Losses by the 1-loss teams in front of them
3. Win out the regular season

If the Gophers win by a touchdown at Iowa and everyone else holds serve, I predict a ranking of 6 on Tuesday.

If we had a loss right now we should still be top 8 with our win over PSU compared to what Alabama, Oregon, and Utah have.

We are only 11 spots ahead of Texas who I believe has 3 losses.
Only 11 spots between an unbeaten team and a 3 loss team.
How does that work?

Baylor - unbeaten - only 6 spots ahead of 3-loss Texas.

Texas' 3 losses are by a combined 17 points. 2 of the three teams were in the CFP conversation at the time. Not bad losses. Baylor hasn't played a ranked team. Losses ALL depend on when they are in the season. Oregon, Bama, Georgia - after losing, they have enough "time" to make it back up, whereas you lose in week 10-13, you're toast.

Triple OT win against a bad TCU team, along with a tight one against WVU...doesn't help. They will need to win this weekend to have any relevance

TCU is a rivalry game for them, and TCU beat Texas this year.

They obviously has the talent, and we know they have a great staff. Just not consistent this year.

The committee should be made up of real college football minds like Klatt.

That's an elite comment. Who spends more time breaking down college football teams: Joel Klatt, Kirk Herbstreit, Stuart Mandel, et al. or a college AD? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

The big problem is that you'll have people employed by media outlets that would have a vested interest in who plays in those games. That said, there's already conflicts of interest with ADs employed by universities under consideration.

Top Bottom