Can't Shake This Feeling

I saw what Fleck did at Western Michigan. It was systematic and could be duplicated and repeated, it was ingenious and zen-like. We've all seen coaches fail in a move from the MAC to the P5 but I was convinced this was the right guy and I said in no uncertain terms that I was all in with Fleck.

And then the W-L for the first year and the second half of last year. I'm saying Fleck knows what he's doing and it seemed like everyone thinks I'm nuts. And yet here we are.

There was all this talk and even some print pieces about Fleck sacrificing wins to instill his culture. And that was in fact the truth. Fleck says it's digging the foundation. I think it's more like arson, but with a higher purpose. Yes, he probably could have coached football enough to win more of those early games. He knows football--but this isn't really about football. With Fleck, the buy-in is everything. He doesn't want to teach an a-hole athlete to be a better athlete and bigger a-hole. It isn't that he doesn't want to coach football; he wants to coach winners.

Fleck is one of the rare people that understands how a team is really supposed to work. The world is full of helmet schools that have 4 and 5 star athletes all over the place that can't be coached to work together as a team. Fleck knows that a 3 star that can take coaching, that can be developed, that has the right heart and mind and is willing to sacrifice for something greater--those are the building blocks. Of course, 4 and 5 stars with the right attitude are welcome too. And--eventually--they'll want to come here.

You know in the movie Rudy where Ara Parseghian tells Rudy: "I wish I could put your heart in my athletes bodies." When Fleck talks about recruiting people for his system, he's simply saying he wants athletes with Rudy hearts.

The focus on process? It's not about wins so much as it is building winners. Fleck wants to recruit and develop and surround himself with winners. Why? Because winners win. That's just what they do. It's almost impossible to turn a person with an attitude problem into a winner; it's almost as equally impossible to not win if all you have around is winners.

Things feel different now because they are different now. The culture is in place, the oars are in the water, and the vibe is different. It was that way when Oregon turned the corner, too.

There will still be excitement and heartbreak, wins and loses. But here's the thing about winners: They dream bigger, they reach higher, and even if they fall short, you can't help but love the attitude that shines through when they get back up and say, "We can do this."

There's a new spirit in the air. There's a buzz all over the country about Minnesota. Enjoy. Row the Boat. Ski-u-mah. Go Gophers!

There is no room for prima donas in RTB culture. This isn't a team of disconnected individuals. Sure, there are not many four star players. Theirs is a group of mostly three star players who are very coachable and can develop into legitimate four star players. Playing as a complete team, they are disciplined and can challenge any team of individual superstars. This is mildly an over-exaggeration about opposing teams. The reality is in between. There are other teams with good systems.

"A connected team is a dangerous team". PJ Fleck is simply brilliant and masterful in developing winners in the classroom, on the playing field, and in life. That is where the true victory is. He is taking care of his players. The players feel the love. They buy in into the culture and trust him.

Last edited:

Here's an actual quote that touches on it:

“It was special. A sellout crowd, the energy here was indescribable. There are no words for it. When we took this job, this is what I envisioned, and we are not even near where we want to be or where we can be. I want to change people’s perception and I’m sure there was a lot of people in the crowd today that said, ‘Oh here we go again.’ We have to get that out of their mindset. I don’t care what happened 20 years ago, 40 years ago, two years ago. That has nothing to do with the future. We won today because we have unbelievable players, unbelievable coaches, and an unbelievable culture. That was one of the best college football environments I have ever seen.”

https://247sports.com/college/minne...s-Football-PJ-Fleck-Penn-State-win-138276632/

I agree with him. I'm really excited to have a coach who wants to change that hang-dog, "Oh, poor us, we've been bad for so long" loser mentality. In my opinion, that attitude is toxic, and it perpetuates itself.

This quote....."we are not even near where we want to be or can be"

Do people on here understand what he is saying there? PJFs goal isn't to be like Iowa or Wisconsin have been the last 25 years. His vision is much bigger and I love it. Not only is his vision much bigger, but he believes he will get us there. No other coach we've had since I've been alive has ever believed it.

In his press conference after the PSU game, someone asked him a question asking if he ever in his wildest dreams thought that they would be 9-0 at this point in the season. He said yeah within our four walls, we believed it. But I wasn't going to tell any of you (the media) that because you would have called me crazy.

Let that sink in. This has been a dream season. I started sensing it after Illinios and really bought in after Nebraska when PJF said this was the toughest physically and emotionally he has ever been around. He told the story about going around the room the night before the game and asking the guys was it worth it. He says it with an intensity and emotion that connects you to this team.

I'm so thankful that PJF is the coach at the University of Minnesota. We are bringing Floyd home this weekend guys!

Row the Boat! Ski-U-Mah! And Go Gophers!

Strange that I am not nervous this week. I expect to win. Mv nailed it though.

One of Fleck's big buzz words is sustainability. We have seen Gopher teams show signs of turning the corner in the past but they always seem to find one road block or another that sets them back again. Fleck wants to build something that can work year after year, and we are starting to see signs of that happening.

Has been amazing to see how the team just keeps getting better and better as the year goes on. Happened last year down the stretch and is happening again this year.

I have seen some people try to compare the Penn State game to the US hockey team at Lake Placid. That might work for some of the fans who didn't believe it could happen but I really don't think it applies to the players or the team. Beating Penn State was a big deal to them, but it was just another step along their journey to bigger and better things. There is concern that they won't be able to come back down to Earth and get ready for Iowa but I just have a sense that won't be a problem for this group.

There are plenty of reasons why we might see a close game this weekend against a very solid Iowa team. But if we bring our "A" game.....we will be looking at 10-0 and the CFP steam will really pick up.

I'm flying blind. Normally by this time of the season I have seen a couple, 2, 3 Iowa games. This season, for whatever reason I haven't been able to catch much of Iowa on TV. So, other than being aware of their results I haven't formed an opinion beyond what we always know: they are really hard to beat at home and they again play really good defense. It sounds like the locals are not happy with their offensive results though. There is also the fan-base restlessness directed at Ferentz that we have seen in the past.

They are coming off a tough loss at Wisconsin that ended their division hopes, and many people (including me) had them pegged as division favorites this season in a wide open B1G West. Instead, they are already effectively eliminated with a quarter of the season to go.

With that as the backdrop, I am hopeful Fleck's new-look, new-grit Gophers jump to an early lead where the Iowa self doubt and even some fan boos will take over from there on the way to a comfortable Gopher win. That is my hope, but it is probably more likely to be a dog fight to the end.

I'm flying blind. Normally by this time of the season I have seen a couple, 2, 3 Iowa games. This season, for whatever reason I haven't been able to catch much of Iowa on TV. So, other than being aware of their results I haven't formed an opinion beyond what we always know: they are really hard to beat at home and they again play really good defense. It sounds like the locals are not happy with their offensive results though. There is also the fan-base restlessness directed at Ferentz that we have seen in the past.

They are coming off a tough loss at Wisconsin that ended their division hopes, and many people (including me) had them pegged as division favorites this season in a wide open B1G West. Instead, they are already effectively eliminated with a quarter of the season to go.

With that as the backdrop, I am hopeful Fleck's new-look, new-grit Gophers jump to an early lead where the Iowa self doubt and even some fan boos will take over from there on the way to a comfortable Gopher win. That is my hope, but it is probably more likely to be a dog fight to the end.

My read on Iowa is that they are very similar to a lot of the teams we had during the Kill years but probably just a slight cut above those teams. Their defense is good, their offense is boring and lagging significantly behind the defense. The path to an Iowa win is to keep it close and hope they can force us into some mistakes. Their coaches are more then happy to win ugly, they want to frustrate you by making you grind it out.

If we get out quick Iowa will be in a ton of trouble because their offense is not explosive and will really struggle to keep up. In other words, if we do what we have been doing since the Big Ten season started we are going to be just fine.

Here's an actual quote that touches on it:

“It was special. A sellout crowd, the energy here was indescribable. There are no words for it. When we took this job, this is what I envisioned, and we are not even near where we want to be or where we can be. I want to change people’s perception and I’m sure there was a lot of people in the crowd today that said, ‘Oh here we go again.’ We have to get that out of their mindset. I don’t care what happened 20 years ago, 40 years ago, two years ago. That has nothing to do with the future. We won today because we have unbelievable players, unbelievable coaches, and an unbelievable culture. That was one of the best college football environments I have ever seen.”

https://247sports.com/college/minne...s-Football-PJ-Fleck-Penn-State-win-138276632/

I agree with him. I'm really excited to have a coach who wants to change that hang-dog, "Oh, poor us, we've been bad for so long" loser mentality. In my opinion, that attitude is toxic, and it perpetuates itself.

That attitude was somewhat carried on with Mason, Brewster, Kill, and Claeys. All of them could be seen hanging their head at the end of the meltdown endings we had to either teams we should have beaten, or upset we couldn’t finish strong on. All of them did not have the ability to change the teams mindset. Not saying I didn’t like those coaches, but they just were just never going to be the guys that bring us up to being a threat nationally. I think the closest we were was with Kill. Had he not run into health issues, he maybe could have brought us to a big ten championship. But I don’t see us having gotten to the top 10 like we are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trust not only the team as a whole to be mentally ready for beating Iowa, but I trust Tanner Morgan most of all. I think that guy is one of the most dependable players I’ve ever seen. He makes so many clutch passes, and rebounds from a bad drive so well. I just don’t see us losing any of our last three games with the way these guys continue to play their hardest.

MN football fans including myself have been conditioned by a long history of meltdowns. Yours truly is victim to this at times... This season has been different from pretty much the first game. This team seems competent in ways we’ve never seen and while Iowa or Wisconsin could be that really tough 98 Falcons squad that spoils the party and beats up our guys it’s going to take a bad game, breakdowns, turnovers. College football, young players, anything can happen. But so far everything has fallen into place and I expect to win Saturday. After watching Wisconsin vs Iowa I’m not sure it’ll be a nail biter if the team is “on”. We’ll see.

I saw what Fleck did at Western Michigan. It was systematic and could be duplicated and repeated, it was ingenious and zen-like. We've all seen coaches fail in a move from the MAC to the P5 but I was convinced this was the right guy and I said in no uncertain terms that I was all in with Fleck.

And then the W-L for the first year and the second half of last year. I'm saying Fleck knows what he's doing and it seemed like everyone thinks I'm nuts. And yet here we are.

There was all this talk and even some print pieces about Fleck sacrificing wins to instill his culture. And that was in fact the truth. Fleck says it's digging the foundation. I think it's more like arson, but with a higher purpose. Yes, he probably could have coached football enough to win more of those early games. He knows football--but this isn't really about football. With Fleck, the buy-in is everything. He doesn't want to teach an a-hole athlete to be a better athlete and bigger a-hole. It isn't that he doesn't want to coach football; he wants to coach winners.

Fleck is one of the rare people that understands how a team is really supposed to work. The world is full of helmet schools that have 4 and 5 star athletes all over the place that can't be coached to work together as a team. Fleck knows that a 3 star that can take coaching, that can be developed, that has the right heart and mind and is willing to sacrifice for something greater--those are the building blocks. Of course, 4 and 5 stars with the right attitude are welcome too. And--eventually--they'll want to come here.

You know in the movie Rudy where Ara Parseghian tells Rudy: "I wish I could put your heart in my athletes bodies." When Fleck talks about recruiting people for his system, he's simply saying he wants athletes with Rudy hearts.

The focus on process? It's not about wins so much as it is building winners. Fleck wants to recruit and develop and surround himself with winners. Why? Because winners win. That's just what they do. It's almost impossible to turn a person with an attitude problem into a winner; it's almost as equally impossible to not win if all you have around is winners.

Things feel different now because they are different now. The culture is in place, the oars are in the water, and the vibe is different. It was that way when Oregon turned the corner, too.

There will still be excitement and heartbreak, wins and loses. But here's the thing about winners: They dream bigger, they reach higher, and even if they fall short, you can't help but love the attitude that shines through when they get back up and say, "We can do this."

There's a new spirit in the air. There's a buzz all over the country about Minnesota. Enjoy. Row the Boat. Ski-u-mah. Go Gophers!

This should be an article in the paper. Spot on

MN football fans including myself have been conditioned by a long history of meltdowns. Yours truly is victim to this at times... This season has been different from pretty much the first game. This team seems competent in ways we’ve never seen and while Iowa or Wisconsin could be that really tough 98 Falcons squad that spoils the party and beats up our guys it’s going to take a bad game, breakdowns, turnovers. College football, young players, anything can happen. But so far everything has fallen into place and I expect to win Saturday. After watching Wisconsin vs Iowa I’m not sure it’ll be a nail biter if the team is “on”. We’ll see.

This is what happens when you have a really dynamic offense that can run and pass. It is tough to win on the road, but the really good teams find a way to do it week in and week out, regardless of who the opponent is. Our defense is good enough to keep Iowa's offense in check, now we just have to find out if Iowa has a good enough defense to keep our offense to around 20 points.

There is no room for prima donas in RTB culture. This isn't a team of disconnected individuals. Sure, there are not many four star players. Theirs is a group of mostly three star players who are very coachable and can develop into legitimate four star players. Playing as a complete team, they are disciplined and can challenge any team of individual superstars. This is mildly an over-exaggeration about opposing teams. The reality is in between. There are other teams with good systems.

"A connected team is a dangerous team". PJ Fleck is simply brilliant and masterful in developing winners in the classroom, on the playing field, and in life. That is where the true victory is. He is taking care of his players. The players feel the love. They buy in into the culture and trust him.

True!

What the haters are ignoring is that we have won 4 of the last 5 games in Iowa City in years ending in "9".

I think we dominate the game and win quite comfortable personally.

Top Bottom