STrib: U hoping football success leads to more student interest, applicants

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Tim:

In 1984, Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie threw a “Hail Mary” touchdown pass that gave the Eagles a nationally televised win over vaunted Miami and earned the team a spot in the Cotton Bowl.

The school felt the impact of “The Miracle in Miami” far beyond the gridiron. Two years after the improbable win, Boston College saw a 30% increase in student applications.

It’s too early to say if the University of Minnesota’s historic victory over Penn State last Saturday will bring similar results, but all the attention the school has received through local and national news reports and an explosion of posts on social media in the past three days “can’t hurt,” said Jake Ricker, public relations director for the U.

“At the bar, at the water cooler, everybody is talking about the University of Minnesota,” he said. “We are seeing a lot of positivity and attention. This is a program that has waited awhile to take its turn at the top, and it’s taking its turn right now.”

Students clad in maroon and gold had an extra bounce in their steps Monday as they walked through the campus, said Taylor Larick, a finance major from Des Moines who plans to graduate in the spring. Janet Nguyen, a junior from Rochester, Minn., said the Gophers’ 31-26 win over No. 4 Penn State — the first home win over a top-five ranked team since 1977 — will be a big selling point for future students.

“It’s one thing to advertise the U as a Division I school, but even better when your team is playing well,” she said. “This is a huge morale boost.”

http://www.startribune.com/u-hoping...o-more-student-interest-applicants/564769052/

Go Gophers!!

I know the applicants and money donated to the school form the east rose dramatically after the 1993 season.

I posted about this very fact recently. Invest in a good athletic program, particularly football and it helps the whole school...everyone! It's a good investment for the school to get into.

I always wonder what the ROI is for company regarding naming rights, the 'free' advertising of their logo from that Penn State game has to be with Millions.

I know Butler after their two national title game appearances and Florida Gulf Coast after their sweet 16 run had something like a 16-30% increase in applicants as well.

Top Bottom