I don't care how we are ranked.

Section 109 Row 8-Middle
Reaction score
If we beat Iowa, we would have a victory over #4 and a victory over a top #25 team (arguably, and Iowa is always a good team). If we beat NW, we would have beaten a team who last year had a very good team, and this year is enduring a down year. If we beat WI, then we would have beaten #s 4, 25 (arguably), and a team between 10-15. There would be no team in the country with a resume that good.

Same. Just win. Win and loss column is what matters at the end of the day.

If we beat Iowa, we would have a victory over #4 and a victory over a top #25 team (arguably, and Iowa is always a good team). If we beat NW, we would have beaten a team who last year had a very good team, and this year is enduring a down year. If we beat WI, then we would have beaten #s 4, 25 (arguably), and a team between 10-15. There would be no team in the country with a resume that good.

I love your enthusiasm but you are wrong. Ohio State and LSU would likely still have a stronger resume.

I love your enthusiasm but you are wrong. Ohio State and LSU would likely still have a stronger resume.

But (assuming, again, that the Gophers beat Iowa, NW and Wisconsin) we'll then get a chance to play Ohio State head-to-head in Indianapolis. That's the beauty of the situation. Assuming both Minnesota and tOSU go into Indy unbeaten, the winner of that B1G Championship game will definitely be ranked in the Top 4. And with a win in Indianapolis Minnesota would then have beaten two Top 4 teams (Ohio State and Penn State).

The title of the thread says it all; if we win out, through the B1G Championship, we're definitely in the CFP... no matter what the rankings say tonight.

The title of the thread says it all; if we win out, through the B1G Championship, we're definitely in the CFP... no matter what the rankings say tonight.

That's a given.

The open questions which would be affected by tonight's (and future rankings) are:

1. If we lose between now and BTT, and beat OSU as a12-1 team are we in?
2. If we win out as an unbeaten, and beat OSU, does OSU get in with only a loss to MN. (MN ranking would matter a lot in that case).
3. If we win out, and lose close to OSU, does MN have a better resume as a 12-1 team vs 11-1 Bama, (Oregon / Utah, etc). Could we make the CFP as a 1 loss team. Unlikely but this is where other games still affect us to increase that chance.

Overall though, yes we can just root for wins. But if you want to get deeper into the other scenarios (which I obsess over) it can be fun and interesting while watching other games.

(The last two years I spent doing "The Official 5-7 Bowl Game Possibilities" threads so I'm having more fun doing CFP analysis).

That's a given.

The open questions which would be affected by tonight's (and future rankings) are:

1. If we lose between now and BTT, and beat OSU as a12-1 team are we in?
2. If we win out as an unbeaten, and beat OSU, does OSU get in with only a loss to MN. (MN ranking would matter a lot in that case).
3. If we win out, and lose close to OSU, does MN have a better resume as a 12-1 team vs 11-1 Bama, (Oregon / Utah, etc). Could we make the CFP as a 1 loss team. Unlikely but this is where other games still affect us to increase that chance.

Overall though, yes we can just root for wins. But if you want to get deeper into the other scenarios (which I obsess over) it can be fun and interesting while watching other games.

(The last two years I spent doing "The Official 5-7 Bowl Game Possibilities" threads so I'm having more fun doing CFP analysis).

1) NO. A team like Alabama or Ohio State could get in with a quality loss. Minnesota, not so much.

2) YES. (see above).

3) NO. (again, see above). We might indeed have a better resume, but...

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see our Gophers in the CFP unless they win out. The bias out there is real, and it's strong.

Top Bottom