The view from here in IA

RodentInHawkHell

Reaction score
Minnesota Native here now living in Iowa and currently have a kid U of Iowa.

This is not going to be an easy game, never is at Kinnick. But right now the Hawkeyes are having serious confidence issues. They felt the Penn State game was one they let slip away. Iowa's defense held PSU to ten points most of the game. Iowa's defense is really, REALLY tough. Their front 4 is relentless and the LBs are disciplined and can cover. The defensive backfield-especially the corners, might be their weakness. Bateman & Johnson could do some damage deep.

Their offense is another matter. While Iowa defense has kept them in the games, their offense continues to let them down. Their offensive line is porous, their QB is not at all very mobile and often holds onto the ball too long. Winfield should be licking his chops. Every time Iowa has needed their offense to step up and make something happen, Iowa's offense has wilted.

We're not going to put 31 points on Iowa like we did Penn State, but Iowa's not scoring many either.

(My prediction: Minn 24 Iowa 12 & I'm taking selfies with Floyd at the State Fair.)

Also a lot of die hard Hawk fans talking about Coach Fleck. They really like him down here. All the Hawk fans I talk to (I live an hour from Iowa City) have a lot of respect for Minnesota right now. In the 25+ years I've lived here I don't think thats ever happened.

This has to be the biggest Minnesota-Iowa game in ages. If the Gophers win, the Gophers clinch no worse than a 1st place tie and just need a win against Northwestern to clinch sole possession of the Big Ten West. If Nebraska manages to knock off the Badgers in the 11 AM game, the Gophers would be able to clinch the title with a win. And Iowa still is fighting for the title themselves. When was the last time this much was at stake for both team in this series?

The Iowa fans right now remind me a lot of what they were like in 2014... down on Ferentz and whispering about how green it looks on the other side of the coaching fence. Of course they had their undefeated season the year after that and right now they seem to be in a much better place than they were in 2014. But, I would love to see an early Gopher lead morph into some "fire Ferentz" chants down there on Saturday.

The Iowa fans right now remind me a lot of what they were like in 2014... down on Ferentz and whispering about how green it looks on the other side of the coaching fence. Of course they had their undefeated season the year after that and right now they seem to be in a much better place than they were in 2014. But, I would love to see an early Gopher lead morph into some "fire Ferentz" chants down there on Saturday.

They're all over the place with their opinions of Ferentz. One year they want him gone, the next they love him. I just looked up his record and was surprised Iowa has finished the season in the top 25 just 4 times in the last 14 seasons. I figured it would be more often than that.

They're living with an old-school coach where time's passed 'em by. It's gotta be tough to be a Squakeye fan and think about the years to come -- Iowa State is soon going to be dominant in the state.

I remember going to Iowa a few years back 2001 to 2007 timeframe) and the thought was "this year was MN's year". My friends and I were excited to win on the road at Iowa.
We left for home shortly before halftime. We gave up scores early and often.

They're living with an old-school coach where time's passed 'em by. It's gotta be tough to be a Squakeye fan and think about the years to come -- Iowa State is soon going to be dominant in the state.

It is a simple math reality that as we win more games someone has to get more defeats. If we average a 4-2 record in the BT West over the next five years, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. are going to have to expect poorer records. Getting rid of a superior coach won't help them avoid the math and with the poorer results will come poorer recruiting and more defeats. We now have the best coach and, therefore, the best program in the West. Eat your hearts out Hawkeyes.

Top Bottom