***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT BUTLER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Probably doesn’t deserve it when every other year is a step back year.

Year 7 and the program basically in the same state as when Pitino took over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I'm not saying its realistic but if we are not at least a on the bubble team this year I am more than okay moving on.

I get that programs will have up years and then years where they retool but if we have another dumpster year where we have 6 conference wins, Pitino needs to be done.

That final steal and layup attempt by Demir said it all. Nice steal, good move to the bucket, but, in the end, nullified by a garbage finish.

Recent extension means he probably gets next year no matter what happens this year.

As I recall, that extension did not increase his buyout. I think it is 2.5 million, not particularly a major hindrance to getting rid of someone.

Someone told me we’re a football school.

This isn't nearly as good of a team as he had when he took over.

I guess my point would be Pitino hasn’t really established anything at all other than inconsistency from year to year.

It’s really not that different from when he took over.

I agree, I'm not saying its realistic but if we are not at least a on the bubble team this year I am more than okay moving on.

I get that programs will have up years and then years where they retool but if we have another dumpster year where we have 6 conference wins, Pitino needs to be done.
I was super negative coming into the season. I thought six conference wins at best. This is so far from a bubble team. They won't sniff the NIT. Next year will be more of the same.

I guess my point would be Pitino hasn’t really established anything at all other than inconsistency from year to year.

Well, on that point, I agree 100%!

At this point I'd put 12-18 as the over/under record.

As I recall, that extension did not increase his buyout. I think it is 2.5 million, not particularly a major hindrance to getting rid of someone.

Still think he gets next year. The extension a show of faith from the AD.

Recent extension means he probably gets next year no matter what happens this year.

It was a paper extension. Doesn't mean anything for this year.

(Not saying it means he is going to get fired, but the buyout was reduced.)

This looks like the wrong year to have scheduled a bunch of tough non-conference games. This squad is not quite ready. Dreadful night for Carr. 1-10 FG, 6-10 FT and 4 TOs. He was not playing smart out there. We had one guy who had a good night. The guards and Demir were awful. I just don't see it with Demir, he just doesn't play hard enough or tough enough.

It was a paper extension. Doesn't mean anything for this year.

(Not saying it means he is going to get fired, but the buyout was reduced.)

I understand what the extension was. Believe it gets him next year regardless.

I was super negative coming into the season. I thought six conference wins at best. This is so far from a bubble team. They won't sniff the NIT. Next year will be more of the same.

And you may be right. I'm an optimist so I'm hoping the young team can mold together and become something solid.

My point is that regardless of whether or not we think its realistic for this roster to be a bubble team, it sure should be realistic if not the expectation of a program in year 7 to be that. This program with these facilities and the talent in this state should be a tourney team nearly every year and the years we are not, we should be close. No reason we can't expect more than what Pitino has offered so far. Fleck has done it in year 3 with the football team.

Like I said, its early and I was expecting some growing pains the first few games. We have a long season to either come together or to fall apart. I hope Pitino can get it done.

This looks like the wrong year to have scheduled a bunch of tough non-conference games. This squad is not quite ready. Dreadful night for Carr. 1-10 FG, 6-10 FT and 4 TOs. He was not playing smart out there. We had one guy who had a good night. The guards and Demir were awful. I just don't see it with Demir, he just doesn't play hard enough or tough enough.

These non-conference games aren't that tough. Really wish we could do away with that narrative.

I understand what the extension was. Believe it gets him next year regardless.

I guess my point is that I don't think whether or not he gets next year has anything to do with the contract extension.

And you may be right. I'm an optimist so I'm hoping the young team can mold together and become something solid.

My point is that regardless of whether or not we think its realistic for this roster to be a bubble team, it sure should be realistic if not the expectation of a program in year 7 to be that. This program with these facilities and the talent in this state should be a tourney team nearly every year and the years we are not, we should be close. No reason we can't expect more than what Pitino has offered so far. Fleck has done it in year 3 with the football team.

Like I said, its early and I was expecting some growing pains the first few games. We have a long season to either come together or to fall apart. I hope Pitino can get it done.

I agree that expectations should be the tourney but I don't believe in Pitino. Never have. I also am not optimistic that Williams or the new recruits will help turn it around.

These non-conference games aren't that tough. Really wish we could do away with that narrative.

Going into Butler (53 straight at home) wouldn't have been an easy game for last year's team. Yeah, we are not playing against top 25 teams but these are competitive games that we aren't ready for yet. The bright side is that there are opportunities to learn and get better. I just wish we had games where we could let Ihnen and Williams get more run and build some confidence. There are some later but not much early.

Isn't it a little early in the year for this?

It’s also a little early in the year for making excuses about the schedule being too difficult.

Last edited:

Isn't it a little early in the year for this?

I don't know. IW, Carr as PG's. Hurt even getting a scholarship. Demir. Etc. Etc. Lots of bad vision examples in the last few years.

Going into Butler (53 straight at home) wouldn't have been an easy game for last year's team. Yeah, we are not playing against top 25 teams but these are competitive games that we aren't ready for yet. The bright side is that there are opportunities to learn and get better. I just wish we had games where we could let Ihnen and Williams get more run and build some confidence. There are some later but not much early.

I didn't say they were easy, but we don't play a single major conference team picked to finish in the top half of their conference. If UNC or Kentucky played this non-conference schedule plenty of folks on here would be making fun of it.

Well, that is true. Significant improvement could happen.

But, I don't see any chance of developing an even a close-to-average power forward from anyone on the roster.

Oturu can't keep doing everything he did tonight without getting worn down and there's no backup.

I'm not going to fault Carr too much because, with the number of non-scorers on this team, I can see why he feels the need to take it to the hoops so often. At least he gets to the line.

Gabe is a major disappointment so far. Willis is a decent starter; if we had a couple more bona fide good players, he'd fit in nicely.

And the bench? Well, no points tonight and I get the feeling that we can't expect a lot more from them.

Of the freshman, you can see that Williams has potential in a number of areas but he doesn't look like he'll score much this season. Pitino might as well play Greenlee and Freeman. He doesn't have much to lose.

As bad as Carr is at PG, I can't agree that IW was any better. IW couldn't even get a shot over a defender. Another terrible PG get by Pitino.

At least Carr's not afraid of contact. I'll give him that.

I didn't say they were easy, but we don't play a single major conference team picked to finish in the top half of their conference. If UNC or Kentucky played this non-conference schedule plenty of folks on here would be making fun of it.

Kentucky lost to Evansville tonight, just sayin lol

I forgot how hard college basketball can be to watch. Especially early season college basketball.

Soooo many fouls. Such bad shooting.

It's almost as bad as NFL Pre Season. Even the teams that are good look rough. Maybe that means there is hope for this Gopher team to get it together this year.
They have to figure out a way to get inside scoring from someone besides Oturu. Their half court offense is not looking good.

Top Bottom