Ohio State Fans

GopherPete

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed over the last few days, so many OSU fans commenting on youtube videos and they are genuinely a) impressed by MN, and b) genuinely enjoying seeing MN reaching this level of success. I think almost each and every comment I've seen from an OSU fan has been very positive and many are essentially saying something like "MN is not a fluke, very good team, very well coached, I hope they continue to win and face us in the B1G championship". I think it's very cool to see the way they have responded so positively to our success.

One thing I've noticed over the last few days, so many OSU fans commenting on youtube videos and they are genuinely a) impressed by MN, and b) genuinely enjoying seeing MN reaching this level of success. I think almost each and every comment I've seen from an OSU fan has been very positive and many are essentially saying something like "MN is not a fluke, very good team, very well coached, I hope they continue to win and face us in the B1G championship". I think it's very cool to see the way they have responded so positively to our success.

The main thing I've noticed is they seem to actually have some respect for our offense, which is probably a commentary of the type of teams the west generally sends to the championship game (mostly Wisconsin).

tOSU fans tend to be pretty good folks to other fans.

Same with Michigan.

Honestly, most B1G fans are just fine.

The B1G IMO tends to be a pretty chumy conference. Rivalry banter of course but most everyone are good sports to each other.

Same with Michigan.

The B1G IMO tends to be a pretty chumy conference. Rivalry banter of course but most everyone are good sports to each other.

The worst fan I ever saw at the dome was an Ohio State fan (tried to fight me and a buddy in the student section), but for the most part they are pretty chill.

Same with Michigan.

I agree. I've been to Iowa and even the Iowa fans in Iowa were welcoming and very nice. I don't know why they send their worst fans to the games up here, but in Iowa City they've been very friendly.

I've been to Wisconsin twice and would say the same thing. Not as friendly, but definitely not mean or disrespectful in anyway. Just some good natured ribbing.

1. Well, first OSU needs to talk us up to ensure we are a quality opponent for CFP. (Win or lose). The better we are, the better their resume.

2. They would probably appreciate a long-term rival who can compete at their level from the West. This was always supposed to be Nebraska, but they've been dismal. Also, Iowa and Wisconsin are what they are. They will always lack the type of offensive game to compete at the highest level like we can now with our skill positions. (This is for buckyville's elite-o-meter next week). It's obvious Ohio State fans recognize Fleck's brilliance, and that he's simply a higher level coach than the rest of the West has seen over the last two decades. Knowing that annual battles in Indianapolis and Minnesota will materialize in the coming years will make this an annual battle which will draw significant attention to OSU and Minnesota for decades to come. They'll talk about the MI-OSU game, but MN-OSU will become the bigger game because it will annually be for the BigTen title.

1. Well, first OSU needs to talk us up to ensure we are a quality opponent for CFP. (Win or lose). The better we are, the better their resume.

2. They would probably appreciate a long-term rival who can compete at their level from the West. This was always supposed to be Nebraska, but they've been dismal. Also, Iowa and Wisconsin are what they are. They will always lack the type of offensive game to compete at the highest level like we can now with our skill positions. (This is for buckyville's elite-o-meter next week). It's obvious Ohio State fans recognize Fleck's brilliance, and that he's simply a higher level coach than the rest of the West has seen over the last two decades. Knowing that annual battles in Indianapolis and Minnesota will materialize in the coming years will make this an annual battle which will draw significant attention to OSU and Minnesota for decades to come. They'll talk about the MI-OSU game, but MN-OSU will become the bigger game because it will annually be for the BigTen title.

Dare to be a legend.

Look what you've done now! Several GopherHolers' heads just exploded, thanks to this post.

This isn't a rivalry. They lead the series 45-7 and our wins are all spread out in 1922, 1931, 1940, 1949, 1966, 1981, and 2000. We are the cute little brother that they beat up now and then. Generally their fans are fine when they come here, despite a certain amount of patronizing on their part. On my lone trip to the Horseshoe in 2000 we won in a big upset, but apart from a few drunken fools and students with big mouths here and there, the fans were congratulatory and appreciative of what the Gophers had accomplished. I think they also thought this might be the beginning of the end for John Cooper at last and were ready for him to go, so that made some people happy in the scarlet and grey. As long as we are the plucky upstarts on a once in a lifetime or once in a generation run like Illinois and Purdue occasionally have, the relationship with Ohio State fans will be respectful and even warm. If we rise to Iowa or Wisconsin levels of competitiveness, the mood is going to sour if Minnesota is then perceived as a threat.

Yeah, I occasionally check out r/CFB and the Gophers get a LOT of love from many fans nationally, but it seems OSU fans are especially impressed. It's a great story, but also so clearly obvious that it's NOT a fluke in the least. When you see dudes like Morgan, Bateman, TJ, Winfield, Coughlin, Faalele, Smith, etc, etc, etc...the Gophers are just at another level than we've ever seen and people are noticing that.

whatever their "motivation", I agree that most fans of tOSU have been tolerable to great imo. My interactions over on r/CFB have usually been pretty good with them.

Three OSU thoughts/memories:

1. After leaving 2007 game in the dome (OSU was destroying us), we had to wait extra long at a stop light on 7th street because a Woman in OSU clothes was impatiently waiting for her companion, a mentally or physically challenged man of about the same age to cross the street to reach her. We commented it seemed cruel that she was so frustrated with this poor man. As he finally reached her, he turned our way and we realized our assumption was completely incorrect. He wasn't mentally/physically challenged. He was just completely wasted and was having difficulty walking. He had peed all over the front of his pants, leaving a big wet stain all the way from his crotch, down his khaki's, to his shoes.

2. In 2009 we traveled to Columbus to watch the Gophers take on OSU. We ended up eating burgers at a famous local place famous for massive burgers: Thurman's. It was spectacular. We saw that it was a multi hour wait for a table and with no ability to reserve reservations, we figured we were going to have to just wait it out. Two couples, Ohio State fans, had a booth and just as we were reaching the midpoint of the line to get a table, I get a tap on the shoulder with an offer to join them, complete strangers, in their booth. We were torn between having to sit with OSU fans and having to wait for hours to get a table. On the spot, we took them up on their offer. We ended up partying the night away with those people and my wife is still facebook friends, 10 years later. It turned out to be a very memorable fun experience and because of it I have a really hard time disliking OSU football, knowing those fine folks are still out there, cheering for them.

3. In general, I found OSU fans to be really nice and nearly Nebraska-like in their efforts to help ensure we had a good time. A guy walked right up to me in our hotel, to talk about Sandy Stephens and great Gopher teams of yesteryear. Another guy saw us driving near the stadium and literally flagged us down with parking suggestions and recommendations for pregame things to see. I found 90% or more of all this to be genuine and friendly, with about 10% of it to be patronizing.

Yeah, I occasionally check out r/CFB and the Gophers get a LOT of love from many fans nationally, but it seems OSU fans are especially impressed. It's a great story, but also so clearly obvious that it's NOT a fluke in the least. When you see dudes like Morgan, Bateman, TJ, Winfield, Coughlin, Faalele, Smith, etc, etc, etc...the Gophers are just at another level than we've ever seen and people are noticing that.

Yep, R/CFB has a lot of fans from across the nation who are impressed and are happy to see the Gophers making progress. I think when teams don't have as much of a history or have been more historically dominant, they're more likely to give credit to programs like ours.

Three OSU thoughts/memories:

1. After leaving 2007 game in the dome (OSU was destroying us), we had to wait extra long at a stop light on 7th street because a Woman in OSU clothes was impatiently waiting for her companion, a mentally or physically challenged man of about the same age to cross the street to reach her. We commented it seemed cruel that she was so frustrated with this poor man. As he finally reached her, he turned our way and we realized our assumption was completely incorrect. He wasn't mentally/physically challenged. He was just completely wasted and was having difficulty walking. He had peed all over the front of his pants, leaving a big wet stain all the way from his crotch, down his khaki's, to his shoes.

2. In 2009 we traveled to Columbus to watch the Gophers take on OSU. We ended up eating burgers at a famous local place famous for massive burgers: Thurman's. It was spectacular. We saw that it was a multi hour wait for a table and with no ability to reserve reservations, we figured we were going to have to just wait it out. Two couples, Ohio State fans, had a booth and just as we were reaching the midpoint of the line to get a table, I get a tap on the shoulder with an offer to join them, complete strangers, in their booth. We were torn between having to sit with OSU fans and having to wait for hours to get a table. On the spot, we took them up on their offer. We ended up partying the night away with those people and my wife is still facebook friends, 10 years later. It turned out to be a very memorable fun experience and because of it I have a really hard time disliking OSU football, knowing those fine folks are still out there, cheering for them.

3. In general, I found OSU fans to be really nice and nearly Nebraska-like in their efforts to help ensure we had a good time. A guy walked right up to me in our hotel, to talk about Sandy Stephens and great Gopher teams of yesteryear. Another guy saw us driving near the stadium and literally flagged us down with parking suggestions and recommendations for pregame things to see. I found 90% or more of all this to be genuine and friendly, with about 10% of it to be patronizing.

Awesome stories!

Look what you've done now! Several GopherHolers' heads just exploded, thanks to this post.

Could you imagine if we play them in some incredible thriller.
Then a rematch next year?

Do that a few years in a row and it would become very big.

I have nothing but good things to say about OSU fans. Always engaging and respectful.

Very machiavellian. I'm quite sure that much thought doesn't go into. They are already easily considered one of the top 4 teams in the country by every measure. They don't need a MN ratings boost to justify it "more" should we meet in the BT championship - being in that game speaks for itself.

Very machiavellian. I'm quite sure that much thought doesn't go into. They are already easily considered one of the top 4 teams in the country by every measure. They don't need a MN ratings boost to justify it "more" should we meet in the BT championship - being in that game speaks for itself.

If they lose to us, us being good is important.

Lose to a #4, they maybe still get in.
Lose to a #11, they are out.

If they lose to us, us being good is important.

Lose to a #4, they maybe still get in.
Lose to a #11, they are out.

Very good points.

And if the Gophers beat Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin, Minnesota would be 12-0 going into Indianapolis. I feel pretty strongly we would, at that point, be in the Top 4. With that resume, there simply aren't very many teams that could possibly be ranked ahead of the 12-0 Gophers.

Also, after beating Penn State, winning the next three games seems at least possible.

I think Face The Facts has thought this through really well.

....On my lone trip to the Horseshoe in 2000 we won in a big upset, but apart from a few drunken fools and students with big mouths here and there, the fans were congratulatory and appreciative of what the Gophers had accomplished. I think they also thought this might be the beginning of the end for John Cooper at last and were ready for him to go, so that made some people happy in the scarlet and grey.

My son and I were at the 2000 game. We got congrats afterwards and the only neg was a drunken student type before the game. Great place for tailgating!

Last edited:

And here I thought YouTube comments were just a larger version of the Star Tribune comment section.

Top Bottom