Iowa vs top ten teams at Kinnick

swingman

Reaction score
(This article written ahead of their loss to PSU earlier this year)

The good news for Iowa ahead of Saturday night's game vs Penn State: they're 6-8 in home games against Top 10 teams under KF and 3-4 over the last decade. They've gone 2-2 in their last four home games against Top 10 opponents and were just a few seconds away from being 3-1 in those games (damn you, 2017 Penn State game). That 2-2 mark of course includes the 14-13 upset over Michigan in 2016 and the ever-enjoyable 55-24 mollywhopping of Ohio State a year later. So Iowa's recent history against Top 10 teams in Kinnick Stadium is quite good, which is nice seeing as Saturday game is also in Kinnick Stadium.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...f-iowa-vs-top-10-opponents-under-kirk-ferentz

Screw em! Were on a mission from God!

This is the one game that has concerned me most of the final four games.

Kinnick is such a tough place to play and the Gophers have not won there since 1999. It doesn't matter how good or bad Iowa is, they always are tough to beat at Kinnick. It should benefit the Gophers not being a night game.

Weather should not be a factor so that will also benefit Minnesota and their passing game.

This team has made a lot of history this year but more importantly, they are playing very good football as a team. Well-coached and very disciplined and they know how to execute their game plan. Why not continue making history and win your first game at Kinnick in 20 years? Let's go 1-0 in the Iowa Championship Season and bring Floyd home!!

second half will be a night game...sunset about 4:45. Annual black out for Kinnick.

This is the one game that has concerned me most of the final four games.

Kinnick is such a tough place to play and the Gophers have not won there since 1999. It doesn't matter how good or bad Iowa is, they always are tough to beat at Kinnick. It should benefit the Gophers not being a night game.

Weather should not be a factor so that will also benefit Minnesota and their passing game.

This team has made a lot of history this year but more importantly, they are playing very good football as a team. Well-coached and very disciplined and they know how to execute their game plan. Why not continue making history and win your first game at Kinnick in 20 years? Let's go 1-0 in the Iowa Championship Season and bring Floyd home!!

Agreed. I don't know if I can hang with the fact that Iowa plays better at night (are they Nosferatu or something?), but I do know they always play the Gophers tough, and 20 years is a good stretch. Then again, I seem to recall another approximately 20 year loss streak that was broken by this team to end last season. Anyone recall? Will be in section 110 on Saturday (first time at Kinnick) to hopefully see the good guys hoist Floyd.

other notes:

Northwestern beat Iowa in Kinnick in 2016 and 2018.

Purdue beat Iowa in Kinnick in 2017.

Iowa is 0-3 to ranked teams this year (3-10 at AnnArbor, 12-17 vs PSU at Kinnick, 22-24 in Madison)

in 2016, Iowa lost to NDSU at Kinnick, lost to #10 Wisconsin in Kinnick, beat #2 Michigan in Kinnick, beat #17 Nebraska in Kinnick, 40-10.

Surprising that the most intimidating stat hasn't been brought up: Gophers haven't won at Kinnick since 1999 (MN was ranked #17 at the time).

Then again, the last time we beat a Top 5 Penn State team was 1999.

This game has me almost as worried as this past week. I guess I'm just a worrier.

The 2015 game was an electric atmosphere. 40-35 final. We tailgated, sat in the end zone pretty high up surrounded by Iowa fans. Had a fun time going back and forth with them in a back and forth game. There undefeated season was on the line so they were fired up. Blackout. Just cold enough. Leidner was good passing to Maye, Lingen, Woli...Shannon was good. Mortell was fantastic.

Top Bottom