Playoff contenders: Building the resumes

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
Reaction score
I wanted to breakdown the resume of all the 0 and 1 loss power 5 teams and see how I’d rank them.

The 11 teams with zero or one loss have a combined 36 victories against teams above .500.
6 wins – LSU
5 wins – Ohio State
4 wins – Oregon, Utah
3 wins – Minnesota, Penn State, Baylor, Georgia
2 wins – Oklahoma, Alabama
1 win - Clemson

14 of these 36 victories have come against teams ranked in the top 25 of the AP. Thus we can get an idea of who has the better wins. I'll call these “impressive wins”. Here are how those victories rank:
1. LSU over #4 Alabama
2. Minnesota over #9 Penn State
T3. Georgia over #11 Florida
T3. LSU over #11 Florida
5. LSU over #13 Auburn
6. Penn State over #14 Michigan
7. Ohio State over #15 Wisconsin
8. Georgia over #16 Notre Dame
9. Ohio State over #17 Cincinnati
T10. LSU over #22 Texas
T10. Oklahoma over #22 Texas
12. Penn State over #23 Iowa
13. Ohio State over #24 Indiana
14. Baylor over #26 Okie State

Now we rank the 6 losses from best to worst.
“Good” loss
1. Alabama vs #1 LSU
2. Penn State @ #7 Minnesota
3. Oregon vs #13 Auburn
“OK” loss
4. Oklahoma @ K-State
5. Utah @ USC
“Bad” loss
6. Georgia vs South Carolina

Finally, we put all the resume’s together and I’ll give my ranking based on that.
1. LSU – 6 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #1, #3, #5 and #10 most impressive wins, 0 losses.
2. Ohio State – 5 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #7, #9 and #13 most impressive wins, 0 losses.
3. Minnesota – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #2 most impressive win. 0 losses
4. Baylor – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #14 most impressive win. 0 losses
5. Penn State – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #6 and #12 most impressive wins, 2nd best loss
6. Clemson – 1 win against +.500 teams. No impressive wins. 0 losses
7. Alabama – 2 wins against +.500 teams. No impressive wins. Best loss
8. Georgia – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #3 and #8 most impressive wins. 6th best loss (i.e., “bad” loss)
9. Oregon – 4 wins against +.500 teams. No impressive wins, 3rd best loss
10. Oklahoma – 2 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #10 most impressive win. 4th best loss
11. Utah – 4 wins against +.500 teams. No impressive wins, 5th best loss

Oklahoma will shoot up when they beat Baylor this week. Baylor will fall to the bottom of the list. This becomes an important week for our team. Beat Iowa and anything is possible.

I wanted to breakdown the resume of all the 0 and 1 loss power 5 teams and see how I’d rank them.

The 11 teams with zero or one loss have a combined 36 victories against teams above .500.
6 wins – LSU
5 wins – Ohio State
4 wins – Oregon, Utah
3 wins – Minnesota, Penn State, Baylor, Georgia
2 wins – Oklahoma, Alabama
1 win - Clemson

14 of these 36 victories have come against teams ranked in the top 25 of the AP. Thus we can get an idea of who has the better wins. I'll call these “impressive wins”. Here are how those victories rank:
1. LSU over #4 Alabama
2. Minnesota over #9 Penn State
T3. Georgia over #11 Florida
T3. LSU over #11 Florida
5. LSU over #13 Auburn
6. Penn State over #14 Michigan
7. Ohio State over #15 Wisconsin
8. Georgia over #16 Notre Dame
9. Ohio State over #17 Cincinnati
T10. LSU over #22 Texas
T10. Oklahoma over #22 Texas
12. Penn State over #23 Iowa
13. Ohio State over #24 Indiana
14. Baylor over #26 Okie State

Now we rank the 6 losses from best to worst.
“Good” loss
1. Alabama vs #1 LSU
2. Penn State @ #7 Minnesota
3. Oregon vs #13 Auburn
“OK” loss
4. Oklahoma @ K-State
5. Utah @ USC
“Bad” loss
6. Georgia vs South Carolina

Finally, we put all the resume’s together and I’ll give my ranking based on that.
1. LSU – 6 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #1, #3, #5 and #10 most impressive wins, 0 losses.
2. Ohio State – 5 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #7, #9 and #13 most impressive wins, 0 losses.
3. Minnesota – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #2 most impressive win. 0 losses
4. Baylor – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #14 most impressive win. 0 losses
5. Penn State – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #6 and #12 most impressive wins, 2nd best loss
6. Clemson – 1 win against +.500 teams. No impressive wins. 0 losses
7. Alabama – 2 wins against +.500 teams. No impressive wins. Best loss
8. Georgia – 3 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #3 and #8 most impressive wins. 6th best loss (i.e., “bad” loss)
9. Oregon – 4 wins against +.500 teams. No impressive wins, 3rd best loss
10. Oklahoma – 2 wins against +.500 teams. Has the #10 most impressive win. 4th best loss
11. Utah – 4 wins against +.500 teams. No impressive wins, 5th best loss

What if you do it with wins against the top 50, just curious. Plus that committee may think LSU is number one and only beat a banged up Tua Alabama team by 4 and thus see them as a top 4 team. Georgia can really screw things up if they beat LSU. That would knock out Alabama but give the SEC two teams. We have no choice but to win out, win the conference title game. Clemson is a near lock, LSU a near lock.

I think Georgia will lose at Auburn this weekend. What happens then if they beat LSU in the SEC championship? No way Georgia gets in the playoffs with two losses, even if they win the SEC, right?

Good stats but you are wrong.

We beat #4 Penn State and they lost to #17 Minnesota.

Rankings of wins are usually by what they were ranked at the game not what they were ranked after.

Good stats but you are wrong.

We beat #4 Penn State and they lost to #17 Minnesota.

Rankings of wins are usually by what they were ranked at the game not what they were ranked after.

That's how they are often done, but I personally don't think it should be done that way.

If you do that you end up with Clemson and Alabama claiming credit for beating a mediocre Texas A&M team who was ranked at the time.

TBF, you may want to filter out or at least separate .500 teams from JV conferences/leagues if the goal is to compare apples to apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how they are often done, but I personally don't think it should be done that way.

If you do that you end up with Clemson and Alabama claiming credit for beating a mediocre Texas A&M team who was ranked at the time.

True. Syracuse is a prime example. However, teams often get better/worse during the year so there is flaws in doing it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed and that is why I did it the way I did.

Top Bottom