Media Predictions: Minnesota vs Iowa

Clucko has our back again. One of the few who did last week.

I didn't realize the O/U was only 44.5 points. I'd slam the over on this game.

Iowa offense is bad (18 ppg in B1G play) and their defense is good (11.8 ppg in B1G play).

Granted. we are averaging 39.5 ppg ourselves in B1G, so its obvious Vegas thinks this will be played to Iowa's style.

We just ran up 31 on the #2 defense in the nation and we left points on the field. I like our chances.

Go Gophers!

I take back what I said earlier about Clucko. He’s definitely aboard our bandwagon.

Sorry, Clucko!

bovada alternate odds looks like a good way to make some money. You can get gophs at -6.5 (275). Iam pretty confident we will win this game by more than a touchdown. Iowa offense is anemic.

Clucko has our back again. One of the few who did last week.

I didn't realize the O/U was only 44.5 points. I'd slam the over on this game.

Wow, that is interesting. With Iowa as a 3 pt favorite, it implies a final score of something like 24-21.

I take back what I said earlier about Clucko. He’s definitely aboard our bandwagon.

Sorry, Clucko!

Gotta love it. Chicken votes against a birds body part. Okay, I'll see my way out...

Wow, that is interesting. With Iowa as a 3 pt favorite, it implies a final score of something like 24-21.

Both teams are very good at controlling the clock which could lead to a lower scoring game. That is probably why the O/U number seems low. I could see us winning comfortably and scoring below our season average.

Clucko was the only one who had our backs against the Lions.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/nZ178MJ3qSx6U" width="480" height="325" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/cats-cat-gifs-kitten-nZ178MJ3qSx6U">via GIPHY</a></p>

Sports Chat Place is going with Iowa, 28-24
This is the second big test in a row for the Golden Gophers as they look to take their record to 10-0. Unfortunately for Minnesota, I have to go with the Hawkeyes in this one. Although the Minnesota offense has put up bigger numbers than the Iowa offense, Iowa has played much better than Minnesota has on defense and I believe Iowa will shut down Minnesota just enough to pull out the victory. Iowa wins 28-24 and covers the spread.

Bleacher Report is going with Iowa, 21-17
The Hawkeyes surrendered 250 rushing yards to Jonathan Taylor last week and still kept things close against Wisconsin in a 24-22 loss, so they are capable of hanging tough even if the Minnesota running game is firing on all cylinders. The undefeated run stops here for the Gophers in a classic grind-it-out Big Ten game.

12Up takes Minnesota
If all these players come ready to play, Minnesota should move to 10-0 and all but lock up the Big Ten West title.

Cappers Picks goes with a 31-24 Minnesota win
Even off a big win, the Gophers still aren’t getting respect and I think in this game they are going to try and prove that.

ESPN's Bill Connelly is taking the Gophers in a 27-24 win.

I hate predictions but anyone who says we will score less than 20 is dead wrong! Scoring totals so far:

28, 38, 35, 38, 40, 34, 42, 52, 31 - That last one was against the #2 scoring defense in the nation.

Our defense has bent but not broken. Here are those totals:

21, 35, 32, 31, 17, 7, 7, 10, 26 -

Iowa scoring:

38, 30, 18, 48, 3, 12, 26, 20, 22 - common opponents 30 Vs Rutgers, 26 vs Purdue and 12 vs Penn State.

Iowa Defense:

14, 0, 17, 3, 10, 17, 20, 0, 24 - common 0 vs Rutgers, 20 vs Purdue and 17 vs Penn State.

We outscored them in every common game and our defense was within a score in every one of those games.

I think we will win by 7-10 points based on these numbers.

Go Gophers!

"Our defense has bent but not broken. Here are those totals:

21, 35, 32, 31, 17, 7, 7, 10, 26"

And keep in mind, those 17 points against Illinois were really just 3. 2 defensive touchdowns

And keep in mind, those 17 points against Illinois were really just 3. 2 defensive touchdowns

Kind of the same story with the Georgia Southern points. There have been points scored against the Gophers this season, but the context is important, such as when the points were scored and how they were scored.

Inside College Football on CBS Sports Network:
Aaron Taylor: Iowa
Randy Cross: Minnesota
Brian Jones: Minnesota
Rick Nueheisel: Minnesota

And PJF's failed cagey timeout.

Iowa's defense has played better? lol And yet they have THREE LOSSES!!!

I'll take our defense and ZERO losses every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. :)

And offensively, they don't know how to score any points, and WE DO!!!

34-17. PJF is something like 18-1 when the Gophers score first. And we'll score first.

Iowa's defense has played better? lol And yet they have THREE LOSSES!!!

I'll take our defense and ZERO losses every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. :)

And offensively, they don't know how to score any points, and WE DO!!!

34-17. PJF is something like 18-1 when the Gophers score first. And we'll score first.

Iowa's defense has played better than ours. I don't see what 3 losses has to do with that. It's a team game. Northwestern has one of the best defenses in the country and yet their team is awful.

Solid Verbal: Both Dan and Ty picked Iowa with one prediction stating the Gophers could score as few as 7 points. Both suggest this should be a rather easy victory for Iowa after MN comes in all tuckered out and flat from the hangover from last week's big win. Dan also stated that he does "not see MN as a 12-0 team" .

Both have had nearly weekly doubts about the Gophers all season (although one of them picked the Gophers last week) and as far back as preseason Dan said he didn't trust the Gophers to be good because Tanner Morgan is just a "try-hard QB".

Solid Verbal: Both Dan and Ty picked Iowa with one prediction stating the Gophers could score as few as 7 points. Both suggest this should be a rather easy victory for Iowa after MN comes in all tuckered out and flat from the hangover from last week's big win. Dan also stated that he does "not see MN as a 12-0 team" .

Both have had nearly weekly doubts about the Gophers all season (although one of them picked the Gophers last week) and as far back as preseason Dan said he didn't trust the Gophers to be good because Tanner Morgan is just a "try-hard QB".

I was just about to listen to this episode, but now I kind of want to skip it...

I don't see why anyone would expect Iowa to hold us to single digits.

If Iowa can hold our offense to 7 points they deserve to win. They get that this is a rivalry game right? I would be far more concerned about a hangover if we were playing Northwestern this week but going up against Iowa for Floyd....I don't think it is going to be hard to get the players attention and focus back.

7 wasn't either of their official predicted point total for the Gophers but I think one of them said 13, then said he could see it as low as 7 and they both agreed. It was also said that upon seeing Fleck crowd surf after the game, it shows that this week is a prime letdown game against Iowa. Ty said he was saddened to see Iowa was a three point favorite because he was planning on making Iowa his home dog of the week and one of them said he was likely going to make this game his "lock" because he was so sure of the outcome.

The line being Iowa by 3 is crazy. I would have guessed Minnesota by 3.

Iowa is going to limit possessions and eat clock. They'll limit scoring just by making it a snoozefest.

I'd pick Minnesota by 7. Relatively low scoring.

Stewart Mandel from the Athletic chimes in:

No. 8 Minnesota (+3) at No. 20 Iowa, 4 p.m. ET Saturday (FOX)
On the one hand, this is a tough turnaround for the Gophers after last week’s emotional, historic home game against Penn State. It would not be surprising if their offense comes out flat against a tough Hawkeyes defense. All in all, though, I just think Minnesota is the better team. Tanner Morgan and Co. get to 10-0. Minnesota 24, Iowa 20

Dan said he didn't trust the Gophers to be good because Tanner Morgan is just a "try-hard QB".

I had been trying to figure out what's keeping the Gophers from being elite and now I know...it's because the star QB tries too hard. :rolleyes:

I had been trying to figure out what's keeping the Gophers from being elite and now I know...it's because the star QB tries too hard. :rolleyes:

Didn't realize I was playing League of Legends again, been a long time since I heard that.

College Football News takes Minnesota in a 23-20 win.
Minnesota is amazing at winning close games, and Iowa is just okay at it. First, the Gophers will take one step closer to getting to Indianapolis by hanging on late for yet another thrilling, close win. Second, they leave Kinnick Stadium with the Floyd of Rosedale Trophy.

At Sports Illustrated, five writers are taking Minnesota and two picked Iowa.
Lorenzo Arguello picks Minnesota. Minnesota hasn’t beaten Iowa on the road in its last eight tries. That being said, I have a hard time seeing the Hawkeyes’ offense keeping up with Tanner Morgan & Co. P.J. Fleck keeps rowing the boat to 10–0.

All of the writers at Athlon Sports are going with Minnesota.

Bonus, Athlon Sports provided an "outrageous prediction"
The Golden Gophers row the boat into Iowa City as underdogs. This is as much of a "prove it" game as Penn State was last weekend.Antoine Winfield Jr. is playing as well as any defender in the country. Look for the Minnesota defensive back to give Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley fits all day, while the Minnesota offense moves the ball up and down the field at Kinnick Stadium at will. The Gophers get a blowout win over another quality opponent and establish themselves as the class of the Big Ten West.

I hate to see these predictions of Gopher victories from Athlon. I have grown so used to seeing things from them being consistently wrong. I hope this isn't a bad omen.

Top Bottom