Terell Smith?

GopherHusky

Reaction score
Any word on him? Haven’t seen him in a few games.

All I know is he was in a walking boot a couple weeks ago.

Love St-Juste, but this was the first game where he got burned a couple of times. In all fairness both times I saw it happen, he was one on one with a really quick and fast receiver. One of the times was the 50 yard pass where the PSU receiver luckily tripped himself at around the 10 yard line. PSU definitely had great speed at the skill positions.

Love St-Juste, but this was the first game where he got burned a couple of times. In all fairness both times I saw it happen, he was one on one with a really quick and fast receiver. One of the times was the 50 yard pass where the PSU receiver luckily tripped himself at around the 10 yard line. PSU definitely had great speed at the skill positions.

Yep, those receivers are definitely elite. He also made a couple nice plays. Elite receivers will usually win their share of battles against even the best DBs in the country, as we saw in the Alabama-LSU game. Bateman averaged over 8 yards per route run against a guy who came into the game leading the Big Ten in PBUs. People talk about their secondary being a weak spot, but those were all highly recruited players.

We keep hearing that the Gophers could never keep up with elite offenses. Yet, LSU-Alabama ends up 46-41 and the same experts scream “what a great game, two elite teams!!!”

Yep, those receivers are definitely elite. He also made a couple nice plays. Elite receivers will usually win their share of battles against even the best DBs in the country, as we saw in the Alabama-LSU game. Bateman averaged over 8 yards per route run against a guy who came into the game leading the Big Ten in PBUs. People talk about their secondary being a weak spot, but those were all highly recruited players.

Yes, totally agree.

That was the turf gods helping out the Gophers, he should have scored on that play if he wouldn't have fallen for no reason.

That was the turf gods helping out the Gophers, he should have scored on that play if he wouldn't have fallen for no reason.

I've watched the replay a couple times. I think he messed himself up when he looked to see where the receiver was. Had he just kept running I think he would have scored. But, we don't need to give the game back and they can't take it from us. We won.

I've watched the replay a couple times. I think he messed himself up when he looked to see where the receiver was. Had he just kept running I think he would have scored. But, we don't need to give the game back and they can't take it from us. We won.

I could have sworn watching it live that I saw the ghost of Bronco Nagurski trip him. It was amazing. Like the Maradonna Hand of God play for any of you old soccer fans.

Any word on him? Haven’t seen him in a few games.

Haven't heard specifics about injuries or what not but with the way that Durr and St. Juste are playing it is going to be tougher for Smith to get on the field a ton right now.

Looks like he hasn’t played since the Nebraska game.
Wonder what his injury is and how long he is out.

With Martin our last week, I was looking for them to just play extra dbacks as we were a bit slow covering their TEs.

They had very talented TEs. Like Iowa last year.

It’s not something Gopher fans are accustomed to seeing from an offense.

Is that even a thing anymore with the new redshirt rule?

You can still get medical redshirts.

Depending on when it happens medical redshirts exist regardless of the other redshirt rules.

You can still get medical redshirts.

Depending on when it happens medical redshirts exist regardless of the other redshirt rules.

To get a medical hardship waiver you need to have been injured in the first half of the season and have seen a doc who states it is season ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not having LB Martin, the TE's abused our slower lb's. After Martin, Oliver is probably the most athletic but he is young and learning the position.

Agreed we seem to have huge blocking te's, not the 6-5 240lb receiving type.

They had very talented TEs. Like Iowa last year.

It’s not something Gopher fans are accustomed to seeing from an offense.

Not having LB Martin, the TE's abused our slower lb's. After Martin, Oliver is probably the most athletic but he is young and learning the position.

Yes, I kept looking for us to go with more Dbs especially on that last drive. I am guessing Smith was unavailable. He was really good last year as a true freshman.

The type utilized by every CFP championship and Super Bowl team.

If there is one point that Fleck and KC can be challenged on offense to change their best, it is this point, without question. They simply must evolve.

/probably unnecessary rant

The type utilized by every CFP championship and Super Bowl team.

If there is one point that Fleck and KC can be challenged on offense to change their best, it is this point, without question. They simply must evolve.

/probably unnecessary rant

With all due respect...why?

Through 6 Big Ten games (conference games only) - 39.5 ppg (2nd only to Ohio State), 471 ypg (2nd only to Ohio State and 50 yards ahead of #3 Indiana).

Lot of people would love to see the TE more involved in the passing game, but it doesn't really seem to be hindering our offense that we don't throw to the TE much.

Through 6 Big Ten games (conference games only) - 39.5 ppg (2nd only to Ohio State), 471 ypg (2nd only to Ohio State and 50 yards ahead of #3 Indiana).

Lot of people would love to see the TE more involved in the passing game, but it doesn't really seem to be hindering our offense that we don't throw to the TE much.

Agree wholeheartedly. If their blocking is critical to the play of the line, don't fix what's not broken. With the way the WR's get open, it doesn't seem to matter.

Is it more important for the TE to be in the route, or for Bateman and TJ to have an extra second to get open downfield for Morgan to deliver a 50 yard TD pass? I guess it depends on the opponent and the situation. Flexibility to do either would be nice, but that PSU defense is a sack machine. The game plan clearly worked. I expect Indiana to copy it, but I doubt they’ll have nearly the same level of success.

You’re not wrong, at all.

But at the same time, defenses are constantly catching up to evolving offenses. Someone will eventually figure out how to stop our scheme. All I’m saying is it would be nice to have that in the playbook and ready to go. Don’t think we’re gonna see it this season, frankly. Maybe they’ll work on it in the spring for next year though.

But at the same time, defenses are constantly catching up to evolving offenses. Someone will eventually figure out how to stop our scheme. All I’m saying is it would be nice to have that in the playbook and ready to go. Don’t think we’re gonna see it this season, frankly. Maybe they’ll work on it in the spring for next year though.

Wouldn't be shocked one bit to find out we have a few TE packages that we are sitting on, especially now that BSF is seeing the field more often. Lull teams to sleep, expecting those guys to just be blockers until those key moments where you can switch it up for a big play.

Same thing with putting Morgan out wide in the wildcat. The PSU DB was cheating way in on the run, if teams keep doing that at some point Seth is going to hit Morgan with a pass, just a matter of time.

But in both cases, if you can have success without changing things up on offense you save those wrinkles until you absolutely need them.

Last edited:

I'm hoping that another off-season will give Spann-Ford enough time to improve his size/blocking so we can utilize him properly as both a blocker and receiver next year.

Wouldn't be shocked one bit to find out we have a few TE packages that we are sitting on, especially now that BSF is seeing the field more often. Lull teams to sleep, expecting those guys to just be blockers until those key moments where you can switch it up for a big play.

Same thing with putting Morgan out wide in the wildcat. The PSU DB was cheating way in on the run, if teams keep doing that at some point Seth is going to hit Morgan with a pass, just a matter of time.

But in both cases, if you can have success without changing things up on offense you save those wrinkles until you absolutely need them.

That’s good too, especially this season.

I guess to restate what I meant to say: I will be mildly disappointed if Fleck/KC/our offense don’t evolve to use Paulson/BSF/whomever more like how Iowa used Fant/Hockenson or how Penn State used their #87 and #83.

I'm hoping that another off-season will give Spann-Ford enough time to improve his size/blocking so we can utilize him properly as both a blocker and receiver next year.

Yes, agreed.

Top Bottom